[GUIDE] Building packages for the new firmware... someone tried it?

UPDATE: see guide on page 2 of this thread ( direct link).

After crashing myself against the impossibility to install standard Debian packages as well as Optware (see my previous post) on My Cloud with firmware version 4.x, I downloaded the GPL source code from the WD website and learnt more about the 64K pages thing.

I don’t have the knowledge to say whether switching to 64K pages memory is a good thing or not (apart from the fact that breaks all standard packages), anyway I was wondering whether anyone has tried to follow the steps given by WD in the README file to rebuild packages for the My Cloud. They seem to be quite clear, as long as you have a Debian/Ubuntu host system where you can build packages.

This could open the door to something like a user-provided repository with pre-built packages, to be used as an alternative to the standard Debian packages… Not perfect from a security point of view, but it could be an interesting route to follow…

What do you think?

Mauro

2 Likes

So far I could only produce my personal needs of 64k htop, iperf, telnet and some perl modules (cpan seems to be worthless on the latest v4 firmware). While building others like jdk/jre, mysql, transmission would fail with internal compiler segment fault, even testing the 4k ones. These would compile fine without chrooting into WD’s bootstrap. I guess I need to prepare my own arm bootstrap. Will try them when I’m free…

Hi Nazar,

I will try to do my experiments as well, however I am very interested in knowing whether you will be able to build packages like transmission and the jdk/jre, so please let’s keep us updated on this…

Thank you

Mauro

Hi Nazar,

this evening I also did some experiments. I prepared a Debian x64 VirtualBox VM to try this.

First of all, I’m using the source code for 4.0x firmware but compiling with --pagesize=4k because I’m currently using the old 3.x firmware: I just wanted to test this build environment.

This said, I was able to build htop (like you), apt-file and all of its direct dependencies, however one of them required in turn a newer version of perl-base which could not be compiled because the internal compiler error (segmentation fault) you mentioned.

Neither mc nor unrar could be built because of that problem.

It’s always gcc that crashes.

Unfortunately, I really don’t know how I could build another bootstrap to try to fix this problem :frowning: I’m a Java programmer and not a C/Linux programmer and all of this build complexity if far over my knowledge. If you (or someone else) end up with a solution, I would be glad to know how to proceed.

One last thing: I tried to build packages for wheezy. I see that for jessie there’s a different bootstrap… maybe that would work better?

Another curiosity: the source package contains sources/netatalk: the instructions there say to use the native emulation method to build netatalk. However, as far as I understand it correctly, the README says that after running build-armhf-package.sh, you should unpack the netatalk sources in netatalk-3.0.3.tar.bz2 over the downloaded one and then lssue some other commands… It might be interesting to know if this is done because without the last steps the gcc compiler would otherwise crash like in our tests…

Success! I’ll post the build guide here later when time permits… also a separate thread on transmission simplified install guide on v4 firmware…

Edited:-

Cross Compiling Transmission v2.84 with 64K page size memory patch

Ok here’s a straight forward guide. It’s not universal, only in cases where WD’s script breaks or fails (from their v4 GPL source here: packages/build_tools/debian/build-armhf-package.sh).

As reported by many, apparently the build instructions provided by WD for their latest 4.00.00-607 firmware for 64K page size memory, link above, is somewhat having issues with producing certain debs which resulted with compiler segmentation faults. I did not yield good results trying to rebuild the 64K binutils. As also reported in this thread by mauromol here, changing the compiler versions does not help either.

So there’s no other choice but to cross-compile manually. Note that this guide is only for WD’s latest v4 firmware and may be compatible with their further releases if they decide to stick to 64K page size memory builds. To get started, we need to get the package sources and build all shared dependencies manually, may vary from each build project but the end results with be just one *.dep file to be installed on the target system (WDMyCloud).

Build guide below is for latest transmission v2.84. Almost similar with any other guides you can find online for transmission builds, but this is make it work for 64K page memory target. Assuming anyone trying to compile this have some basic knowledge in Linux and fully aware of the usual WD’s warranty void clauses including disclaimer from any damages that may resulted from this guide, prepare below (download links are underlined):-

Tips:

• +permanent - Changes to the host will last. Useful for other build plan projects.

• +temporary - Per-session. Changes are lost i.e. after terminal close.

• Each command ends with a semicolon “;” though not needed at every end, it is clearer. Yes you can see multi semicolon in a line, it’s called one-liner. So if setup and done correctly, you could just easily copy each code box as a whole including the last blank line, then paste in the terminal to execute.

Setup the host:

• Ubuntu i386 - 64-bit won’t work! I use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Desktop (32-bit) setup with dynamic 30GB space VHD. Lookup online guides on how to achieve this Linux setup, VM or standalone. I’ve tried my best to validate this build guide with a clean install system and ensure every command are in order that you could just run it as a script.

• GCC Linaro 4.7 Toolchain 64K page size memory - You can either:-
    a) build your own from WD’s v4 GPL source (577MB), under packages/build_tools/compilers,

b) or use their pre-built binaries within the downloaded GPL source above, under packages/build_tools/compilers/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7-64k-2013.01-20130116_linux.tar.bz2),

c) or download the 82MB gcc-linaro archive from me, link at the steps.

Prepare the host:

• Install permanent necessities for builds on the first time:

sudo apt-get -y install build-essential intltool checkinstall;

• Setup temporary environments for this session:

export PATH=$HOME/Desktop/WDMyCloud/toolchain/bin:$PATH;
    export PREFIX=$HOME/Desktop/WDMyCloud/usr/local;
    export HOST=arm-linux-gnueabihf;
    export CC=${HOST}-gcc;

• Create permanent work space and source path under home root and change to`em:

mkdir -p ~/Desktop/WDMyCloud/src;cd ~/Desktop/WDMyCloud/src;

• Get the GCC Linaro 4.7 Toolchain, patched with 64K page memory size. If you builded your own or extracted from WD’s GPL, place it in this “./src” path. Else get them from me from my dropbox using:

wget dl.dropbox.com/s/tq3kgmzvgu25w9s/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7-64k-2013.01-20130116_linux.tar.bz2;

• Get the latest transmission 2.84 source. If you have specific version, place it in this “./src” path. Else get it using:

wget download-origin.transmissionbt.com/files/transmission-2.84.tar.xz;

• Get the rest of the dependencies required by transmission:

apt-get -d source zlib openssl curl libevent;

• Extract all the archives we have in the “./src” path:

for i in ls *.tar.*|grep -v debian;do tar xf $i;done;

• Move the extracted linaro toolchain to a permanent path:

mv -f gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7-64k-2013.01-20130116_linux …/toolchain;

Build the packages:

• Work on the dependencies then transmission itself. After make install, you can reuse them for other build plan projects. If you encounter make errors, you’ll need to run below after making changes and/or reconfigurations:

make clean;

• zlib:

cd zlib-*;
    ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX;
    make CC=“${HOST}-gcc” AR=“${HOST}-ar” RANLIB=“${HOST}-ranlib”;
    make install;

• openssl:

cd …/openssl-*;
    ./Configure --prefix=$PREFIX zlib-dynamic -I$PREFIX/include linux-generic32 shared;
    make CC=“${HOST}-gcc” AR=“${HOST}-ar r” RANLIB=“${HOST}-ranlib”;
    make install_sw;

• curl:

cd …/curl-*;
    ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --host=$HOST --target=$HOST --with-ssl=$PREFIX/lib --with-zlib=$PREFIX;
    make install;

• libevent:

cd …/libevent-*;
    ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --host=$HOST --target=$HOST;
    make install;

• transmission:

cd …/transmission-*;
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --host=$HOST --target=$HOST --enable-lightweight --with-zlib=$PREFIX PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig;

• Create the Debian package armhf 64K page size memory:

echo transmission | sudo checkinstall --install=no --arch=armhf --nodoc;

Install on the 64K target system:

8 Likes

I’d say that I’m very interested in your guide. 

I’ve screwed all day with that rebuild script… with no success, almost all attempts have failed with segmantation error during compilation. (I’ve tried with  mc, transmission and qbittorrent-nox ) .

Great news! I look forward to hearing from you soon! :slight_smile:

On my side, what I tried to do is to install g++ 4.4 and 4.7 alongside the 4.6 default version (which segfaults) on the chrooted debian. I did this (from the /packages/build_tools/debian folder):

chroot build

apt-get install g+±4.4

apt-get install g+±4.7

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++.4.4 10

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g+±4.6 20

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g+±4.7 30

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc g++ /usr/bin/gcc-4.4 10

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.6 20

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.7 30

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/cpp cpp /usr/bin/cpp-4.4 10

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/cpp cpp /usr/bin/cpp-4.6 20

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/cpp cpp /usr/bin/cpp-4.7 30

In this way, with update-alternatives --config I could choose which compiler version to use for standard commands g++, gcc and cpp.

Then, after exiting the chroot, running the WD provided script to build a package I got the following trying to compile unrar:

• with g++ 4.4 and 4.6, the segfault happens on recvol.cpp
  • with g++ 4.7 the segfault happens on rarvm.cpp

So there is some difference, in fact, depending on the compiler version I use, however I still get segmentation faults. Also compiling perl-base causes a segfault with 4.7 too :frowning:

So, maybe there’s something else broken or an even newer compiler is needed, but the wheezy repository, which I’m using, does not contain any newer then g++4.7.2.

Or I am on the wrong route… so I hang off Nazar’s advices! :slight_smile:

Theoretically someone successful enough to get correctly working apps can share his deb packages. it could be enough to fix initial problem. Of course it’s not completely safe as default way of getting apps, but …

xslip wrote:

Theoretically someone successful enough to get correctly working apps can share his deb packages. it could be enough to fix initial problem. Of course it’s not completely safe as default way of getting apps, but …

Yes I agree, we could do a repo or dedicate one thread (may be this? OP mauromol may be can help to update the 1st post which consist of the link to the deb, build and author), to have all the debs tracked. For the debs submission, one must include the build guide together to sort of assuring it’s safe to use from this source…

Hi guys, sorry for the delay. Guide updated in the previous post. Hope it helps…

1 Like

Much needed and useful breakthrough. Thanks a lot.

Of course, compiling one package or two is feasible but once you have a bunch of requirements wise complex applications (owncloud, bt sync, nzbget, minidlna, flexget, pyload., aria2…) involving tones of dependencies handling it is next to impossible. And why should anyone do it  when Debian repositories have it all already compiled and sorted out!?

What I would love to see would be someone coming up with a pure Debian distro firmware, with all WD stuff stripped out.

Suppose you are not the man for it? :smiley:

This is far beyond my reach, still you could count me in for some partition overwriting, flashing and the like…

Nazar78 wrote:

Yes I agree, we could do a repo or dedicate one thread (may be this? OP mauromol may be can help to update the 1st post which consist of the link to the deb, build and author), to have all the debs tracked. For the debs submission, one must include the build guide together to sort of assuring it’s safe to use from this source…

Time permitting, there’s no problem for me to update the first post with links. However I think it would need a lot of trust from users, unless someone puts up an actual repository and performs a little control over what is uploaded there. Unfortunately I don’t have the resources to do more than just gather links…

By the way, how do mail subscriptions work in this forum? I often don’t receive mail notifications, although I subscribed the thread :frowning:

Hi again Nazar,

thanks a lot for your guide!! A couple of questions. Why do you say that a 64-bit host for cross compiling won’t work? What would it break?

Also, do you think that the same could be done in Debian instead of Ubuntu?

Lastly: what do you think is the actual difference between your environment and the one from WD firmware? I mean, do you have any suspect on what is causing the compiler segmentation fault in the WD environment?

In fact, if we could achieve to compile Debian source packages directly, package building would be much easier and, I think, we could obtain final deb packages with all the necessary scripts for integration in the target environment (like service start and stop scripts, for instance…).

Going from the plain source tar of each needed software would be a real PITA in fact…

Good news, I think I’ve found the way to make the standard WD environment work with any package (without segmentation faults)!! I was finally able to successfully compile the unrar package. Now I’m currently compiling perl-base … next I’ll try mc. If all of them succeed, I will post here the solution.

The toolchain was compiled for 32bit I think, therefore can run only on 32bit host.

Another simplified method would be great. I was looking into how to achieve cross-compile while auto resolve dependencies something like aptget build dep.

Looking forward for your results…

I confirm I got it to work. The issue with the standard WD environment is related to qemu. The setup.sh script which gets called by the build script is supposed to replace the osbolete (and not fully working) qemu-arm-static binary provided by the bootstrap archive with the one coming from build_tools/debian/qemu/$arch, where $arch is the architecture (amd64 or i386) of your host system. This should happen the first time, when the build directory (containing the arm Debian subsystem used for building) is created. I haven’t investigated further (at a first glance the script looks good to me), however let’s fix this in an even better way.

Guide will follow in the next message.

How to successfully build packages for WD My Cloud from source

The WD My Cloud comes with a Debian wheezy system on it. However WD customized that in a way that it is hardly possible (if not impossible at all) to install new packages using the standard “apt-get install <package name>” way, especially when you update the device firmware to version 4.x or later. The latest firmware, in fact, uses a modified Debian system with 64K sized memory pages: if you install a package using “apt-get install <package name>” from the standard repositories, almost certainly it won’t run and produce just a laconic “Killed” output.

So, to install new packages on the My Cloud you need to build them from source on another system, copy the obtained deb packages on the My Cloud and install.

WD provides a GPL source package of the latest firmware on their website, which contains a build environment to perform this operation. This is totally at the end-user own risk, since no support at all is provided by WD and installing 3rd party software may void warrany.

An additional problem is that the build environment provided by WD has a “minor” problem that causes the building process of most packages to fail because of a GCC compiler segmentation fault.

This guide shows how to deal with this problem and, in general, how to create a build environment to easily do the task.

Some Linux knowledge is needed.

NOTE 1: as of now, this procedure is surely needed to build packages for the 4.x firmware; however, by experience, I find out that it’s a useful procedure even if you are sticking with the 3.x firmware; so the guide explains how to build packages for both firmware versions

NOTE 2: in principle, it should be possible to build packages directly on the My Cloud, instead of using an external system; however I don’t think it’s a good idea to try this, because of many reasons, including: the My Cloud system is surely slower than a regular PC to compile packages; you would need to install all the development tools on the My Cloud itself (and this may require in turn to build them on another system first…)

Step 1: prepare the build system (required only once)

The build environment must be a Linux system, either Debian-based or Ubuntu-based. I personally suggest to create a virtual machine with such a system in it. This guide will take this route.

Download and install VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/) on your phisical system (either Linux, Windows or Mac). Start VirtualBox and create a new virtual machine for a Debian 64-bit. The default settings suggested by VirtualBox regarding memory, disk size and VM configuration should be ok to start.

After the VM is ready, download a Debian Wheezy 64-bit ISO image; I suggest the netinst image, which is the smaller one. Right now, Debian 7.0.6 is available and the direct links are:

Boot the VM with the downloaded ISO mounted in and install just the Debian base system (nothing else is required). Refer to VirtualBox and Debian websites for documentation on how to perform these operations.

Once the guest VM is installed, we need to make just a couple little tunings. First of all, Debian Wheezy comes with qemu-user-static package version 1.1.2. Qemu is an environment needed to emulate an actual ARM system on another platform, like the AMD64 platform our build system consists of. It’s a good idea to update Qemu to version 2.x from the wheezy-backports repository. To do this, start the build system and login. Then:

# sudo su
# echo "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free" >>/etc/apt/sources.list
# apt-get update
# apt-get -t wheezy-backports install qemu-user-static

This should also install binfmt-support, which is another packages needed by the build environment. If this is not the case, also type:

# apt-get install binfmt-support

Now, let’s prepare the actual build environment. Let’s create a folder in the /root directory of the build system and download the WD My Cloud 4.x firmware source package from WD website.

# cd /root
# mkdir wdmc-build
# cd wdmc-build
# wget http://download.wdc.com/gpl/gpl-source-sequoia-04.00.00-607.zip

In case the link changes, refer to WD My Cloud support page to find the new one: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=904&lang=en

I then suggest to create different folders for different build scenarios. These are the possibilities:

• the target system may be firmware 3.x (4k) or firmware 4.x (64k)
  • the source package base may be wheezy (Debian stable) or jessie (Debian testing); wheezy contains older packages, but that should run happily in My Cloud (which has a Wheezy in it!), while jessie contains newer packages that might also work and provide updated versions of many applications; I would personally recommend to build packages from wheezy, unless you absolutely need a newer version that is only in jessie

I don’t recommend to mix things, so I would create different folders for any different combination. You’re free to create just the one you are interested in, so among the following commands type fhe first ones, then only the block of commands of the combination(s) you’re interested in, then the last command:

# cd /root/wdmc-build
# unzip gpl-source-sequoia-04.00.00-607.zip packages/build_tools/debian/*

# mkdir 64k-wheezy
# cp -R packages/build_tools/debian/* ./64k-wheezy
# echo '#!/bin/bash' >>64k-wheezy/build.sh
# echo './build-armhf-package.sh --pagesize=64k $1 wheezy' >>64k-wheezy/build.sh# chmod a+x ./64k-wheezy/build.sh

# mkdir 64k-jessie
# cp -R packages/build_tools/debian/* ./64k-jessie
# echo '#!/bin/bash' >>64k-jessie/build.sh
# echo './build-armhf-package.sh --pagesize=64k $1 jessie' >>64k-jessie/build.sh
# chmod a+x ./64k-jessie/build.sh
# mkdir 4k-wheezy
# cp -R packages/build_tools/debian/* ./4k-wheezy
# echo '#!/bin/bash' >>4k-wheezy/build.sh
# echo './build-armhf-package.sh --pagesize=4k $1 wheezy' >>4k-wheezy/build.sh
# chmod a+x ./4k-wheezy/build.sh
# mkdir 4k-jessie
# cp -R packages/build_tools/debian/* ./4k-jessie
# echo '#!/bin/bash' >>4k-jessie/build.sh
# echo './build-armhf-package.sh --pagesize=4k $1 jessie' >>4k-jessie/build.sh
# chmod a+x ./4k-jessie/build.sh
# rm -rf packages/

In this way, in every folder will be created a build.sh script that passes the right parameters to the WD provided script, requiring only the name of the package to build. This would work straight away if there weren’t the problem with qemu I mentioned in the beginning, so another step is required to finish the prepare phase. Again, only type commands for the scenario(s) you’re interested in:

64k-wheezy:

# cd /root/wdmc-build/64k-wheezy
# ./setup.sh bootstrap/wheezy-bootstrap_1.24.14_armhf.tar.gz build
# mv build/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static build/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static_orig
# cp /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static build/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static

64k-jessie:

# cd /root/wdmc-build/64k-jessie
# ./setup.sh bootstrap/jessie-bootstrap_5.14.14_armhf.tar.gz build

4k-wheezy:

# cd /root/wdmc-build/4k-wheezy
# ./setup.sh bootstrap/wheezy-bootstrap_1.24.14_armhf.tar.gz build
# mv build/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static build/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static_orig

4k-jessie:

# cd /root/wdmc-build/4k-jessie
# ./setup.sh bootstrap/jessie-bootstrap_5.14.14_armhf.tar.gz build

The meaning of the above is the following: prepare an emulated ARM system and replace the qemu-arm-static binary provided by the bootstrap with the recent one we’ve installed in our actual build system.

Ignore any errors produced by setup.sh: that script is really buggy and many things it tries to do seem to be useless, unless we apply the mentioned qemu fix.

As a final step, I would recommend to edit the sources file list within the armhf build subsystem in order to be able to build packages that are in any of the distribution repositories. To do this, type the following:

# cd /root/wdmc-build
# nano <scenario>/build/etc/apt/sources.list

by replacing <scenario> with the desired one (64k-wheezy, 64k-jessie, 4k-wheezy, 4k-jessie); the nano editor will open, then replace the contents of the existing file with the following:

For 64k-wheezy and 4k-wheezy:

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free

#deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free
#deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

For 64k-jessie and 4k-jessie:

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free

In case of wheezy, uncomment the last two lines if you want to build package versions from wheezy-backports. I don’t know however if additional changes to the build.sh script (or better to the WD provided one) are needed to instruct apt to download and build the source from the backports repository. I don’t have tried it yet. Anyway, I would recommend to leave those two lines commented unless you actually need something from the backports repository.

Save the file by hitting Ctrl+X, Y, Enter.

Now you’re ready to build your first package!

Optional additional step (not strictly required) for wheezy scenarios

You may also want to use an updated C++ compiler to build packages in the wheezy scenarios. Debian Wheezy provides g++ package 4.6, but 4.7 is also available. With the following commands you can install the new version and then switch from one to the other using update-alternatives:

# cd /root/wdmc-build/<scenario>
# chroot build# apt-get update
# apt-get install g++ g++-4.7
# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++.4.6 10
# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.7 20
# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc g++ /usr/bin/gcc-4.6 10
# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.7 20
# rm /usr/bin/cpp
# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/cpp cpp /usr/bin/cpp-4.6 10
# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/cpp cpp /usr/bin/cpp-4.7 20# exit

After these commands, the default C++ compiler will be version 4.7. You can then switch to the old version by typing:

# cd /root/wdmc-build/<scenario>
# chroot build
# update-alternatives --set cpp /usr/bin/cpp-4.6
# update-alternatives --set gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.6
# update-alternatives --set g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.6
# exit

Or use update-alternatives --config <command> to get an interactive prompt.

Continues on the next message

10 Likes

Step 2: build your package

It’s time to build your package. Let’s build htop for instance, a nice replacement for top command. The example will build it for the scenario 64k-wheezy (i.e: packages suitable for 4.x firmware, built from the version of htop provided by Debian Wheezy). Start your build system, login, then:

# sudo su
# cd /root/wdmc-build/64k-wheezy
# ./build.sh htop

The built package will be placed into /root/wdmc-build/<scenario>/build/root and will consist of one or more .deb files (you’ll also find other files and folder, just ignore them and consider only .deb files). Sometimes building a package will build other packages, too: it depends on how package sources are organized. For instance, if you build transmission-daemon, you’ll also get the deb packages for the GUI packages (like transmission-gtk or transmission-qt): you can simply throw away those additional debs if you don’t need them.

Once the deb files are ready, copy them from the build system to your My Cloud (to achieve this, if you built a VirtualBox VM you may use a shared folder to exchange data with the physical host system). Then, login via SSH to your My Cloud and type:

# dpkg -i <path-to-build-deb-file>/htop_1.0.1-1_armhf.deb

where <path-to-built-deb-file> is the path where you stored the deb file you just built; if you copied it to the standard Public shared folder, the path will be /shares/Public/.

If you’re lucky, you’re done. Otherwise, the /installation command may prompt you something like this:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of transmission-daemon:
 transmission-daemon depends on libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.2); however:
  Package libcurl3-gnutls is not installed.

This simply means that the package you’re trying to install depends on another package (in this case: transmission-daemon requires libcurl3-gnutls) which is not yet installed. You then need to build in turn this required package, with the same procedure, and install it before the package you originally intended to install. Repeat the steps for all the missing dependencies that dpkg reports. Sometimes, to fix circular dependencies (packages depend on each other), once you’ve built all the necessary packages you may install them all at once with: dpkg -i <path-to-built-debs>/*.deb, so that dpkg will resolve dependencies automatically.

Final notes

1. building a package may require a LOT of time, just be patient…
  2. you may periodically clean /root/wdmc-build/<scenario>/build/root folder after you’ve built your packages, to free up space; in fact, building may require a considerable amount of (temporary) disk space
  3. once installed with dpkg, packages contents are unpacked to the My Cloud system partitions. There should be enough disk space available to not worry about disk space, however almost certainly a firmware upgrade will delete all of your installed packages; I would suggest to create a shared folder using the web UI, named “System”, protected by password and accessible only to admin users; inside it you may put your built deb files, organized as you like. In case of a firmware upgrade, you may simply re-install the packages from there using dpkg -i (one at a time, or all of them at once using wildcards, etc.); however please consider the following notes
  4. a firmware upgrade might change the architecture of the provided Debian system and might require to rebuild all packages… this is exactly what happened with the upgrade from 3.x to 4.x firmware, where WD decided to rebuild the whole system using 64k sized memory pages rather than the standard 4k sized ones… I don’t think WD is so sadistic to do that again and again, but who knows? I suggest to read carefully the release notes of the new firmware, have a look to the updated GPL source package (if they make it available on their website) and try to install a few small packages after firmware upgrade just to check that everything is ok; installing all in a rush may have catastrophic effects, especially when a package you had built on your own requires to update one of the WD provided ones… if it won’t work, it will almost certainly break something of the WD built-in features, causing a device failure in the worst case… again, you are on your own, you get no support for this
  5. to restore the whole functionality of third-party applications after a firmware upgrade, not only you may need to reinstall the deb packages, but you will also need to restore any custom application configuration; if you leave default settings, usually applications save their settings in /etc or in /root, which are both on the system partitions of WD and might be deleted and recreated by the firmware update process; you may choose to backup your application configurations or change things so that they are linked to a shared folder (for instance the aforementioned System shared folder) where they won’t be deleted; in this way, after the firmware upgrade you may just need to restore your backups or your symlinks; howerver, the exact procedure may be different for each package and is above the scope of this guide

From the above, two things should be quite clear: disable the automatic firmware upgrade in the web UI and use all of this at your own risk.

Feedback, improvements and corrections are welcome.

UPDATE ON 2015-01-10: I’ve published a new message where I’m providing patched scripts and an updated binutils package to make the build environment work better, especially when building packages from jessie repository and with 64k pagesize. Here is the direct link.

5 Likes