[APP] MiniDLNA original/patched for firmware V4+ (08/2017)

Live Counter

Note: Can’t see live counter image above? Try again later as my WDMyCloud is offline!

A lightweight Twonky alternative! ReadyMedia (formerly known as MiniDLNA) is a simple media server software, with the aim of being fully compliant with DLNA/UPnP-AV clients. It is developed by a NETGEAR employee for the ReadyNAS product line.

This is MiniDLNA various original/patched versions for firmware V4+ successfully built with 64K page size memory patch. For setups and details, refer to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MiniDLNA.

For those interested on how to build from the source, refer to this  thread. It may help others to continue supporting the 64K page size memory for other packages. Below are my simplified instructions on how to get it installed on the V4 firmware (will not work on older firmwares).

AND I have also made an online generic 64K page size memory package installer to simplify the installations of Debian packages on WDMyCloud. This will not work on older version 3 WD firmwares and I’m not planning to support it either as I’m sticking with the V4 firmwares. Based on dynamic server-side FastCGI, perl and shell scripts, I’ll be using this method for newer guides from now onwards. Feel free to parse the script codes. All bug reports, opinions and suggestions are welcomed.

The Generic Online Installer:

1) Auto download of required debs including its dependencies if any.

2) Debs installation in the required order to prevent dependency issues.

3) Auto run custom configurations if any.

If you proceed further, you are fully aware of the usual WD’s _warranty void _clauses including disclaimer from any damages that may resulted from this guide.

• Enable SSH on your NAS from the WD DashBoard settings if not done so. SSH to your NAS port 22 using i.e. putty root@wdmycloud.

• To proceed with the installation, first you need to get the username and password from me. The credentials will expire hourly e.g. “1AM,2AM,3AM…” to prevent intentional abuse on my network resources. Click on the link below to get the credentials :

WDMyCloud | TeaNazaR.com

• After obtaining the credentials, just copy & paste into the SSH terminal session of your WDMyCloud:

export NAZAR78_USER=user;
    export NAZAR78_PASS=pass;
    export NAZAR78_KEYS=keys;

• Then run the online installer on your WDMyCloud copy & paste as below, follow the instructions and enjoy (-:

Choose your version below. Note that each has some differences in the** /etc/minidlna.conf file. If you’re upgrading without uninstalling previous version (dpkg --purge minidlna) and you need those new variables, please manually edit by referring to the new changes in /etc/minidlna.conf.dpkg-dist.

Original Version 1.0.24:
    Built from Debian Wheezy source distribution.

curl teanazar.com/installer.fcgi?minidlna_1.0.24|sh;

Original Version 1.1.4-1
    :
    Built from author’s source @ SourceForge.

curl teanazar.com/installer.fcgi?minidlna_1.1.4-1|sh;

Original Version 1.1.5-1
    :

curl teanazar.com/installer.fcgi?minidlna_1.1.5-1|sh;

Patched Version 1.1.3.patched-1:
    Built from author’s source @ SourceForge. Patched with  this and  this created by bitblasters and Eduardo Rocha @ SourceForge. Thanks Shurik85 for pointing out in this thread.
    Patches (all enabled by default in /etc/minidlna.conf):
    – FLAG_SAMSUNG_DCM10 config.
    – Video thumbnails config.
    – Virtual folders config.
    – Device based bookmarks config.

curl teanazar.com/installer.fcgi?minidlna_1.1.3.patched-1|sh;

Patched Version 1.1.4.patched-1:
    Built from author’s source @ SourceForge. Patched with  this and  this created by bitblasters and Eduardo Rocha @ SourceForge. Thanks Shurik85 for pointing out in this thread.
    Patches (all enabled by default in /etc/minidlna.conf):
    – FLAG_SAMSUNG_DCM10 config.
    – Video thumbnails config.

curl teanazar.com/installer.fcgi?minidlna_1.1.4.patched-1|sh;

Patched Version 1.1.5.patched-1:
    Built from author’s source @ SourceForge. Patched with this created by Shrimpkin.
    Patch:
    Adds [-r] option to rescan without rebuilding the database:
    -r forces a rescan
    -R forces a rebuild

Creator’s Note:
    Shrimpkin:-
    – On rescan, any directories and files which cannot be access are removed. Any files with different timestamps are removed, then reinserted. New files and directories are added as long as they are readable.
    – Here is an updated patch (v2) of this feature which cleans up the code a little bit. Also, it removes the duplicate inotify code by modifying the existing inotify code.

curl teanazar.com/installer.fcgi?minidlna_1.1.5.patched-1|sh;

Original Version 1.2.0-1
    :

curl teanazar.com/installer.fcgi?minidlna_1.2.0-1|sh;

For quick backup and restore when WD release newer firmware update:

• Before updating firmware:
    cp -a /etc/minidlna.conf /shares/Public/;

• After updating firmware:
    cp -f /shares/Public/minidlna.conf /etc/;

• Run the online installer again. Your settings will be preserved and you may then remove the conf backup.

Online Installer change log:

[20141105] Added MiniDLNA v1.0.24.
[20141106] Fixed missing dependency libvpx1.
[20141109] Added MiniDLNA v1.1.4-1.
[20141118] Printing of package size during install. - Check and warn available rootfs space before installing.- Changed tmp path to allocate larger than 100Mb installs.
[20141210] Added MiniDLNA v1.1.3.patched-1. - +FLAG_SAMSUNG_DCM10/Bookmarks/Thumbnails- Added MiniDLNA v1.1.4.patched-1. - +FLAG_SAMSUNG_DCM10/Thumbnails
[20150928] Added MiniDLNA v1.1.5-1.
[20151017] Added MiniDLNA v1.1.5.patched-1.
[20170805] Added MiniDLNA v1.2.0-1.

14 Likes

Hi mate,

I followed your guide to the letter but get an error at the end of installation:

x1 added. More?:
[....] Restarting DLNA/UPnP-AV media server: minidlna/usr/bin/minidlna: error while loading shared libraries: libvpx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 failed!

Full script below:

Installing required files by dependencies...
Installing (1)-> libavcodec53_0.8.16-1_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (2)-> libavformat53_0.8.16-1_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (3)-> libavutil51_0.8.16-1_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (4)-> libdirac-encoder0_1.0.2-6_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (5)-> libgsm1_1.0.13-4_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (6)-> libid3tag0_0.15.1b-10_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (7)-> libmp3lame0_3.99.5+repack1-3_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (8)-> libopenjpeg2_1.3+dfsg-4.8_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (9)-> liborc-0.4-0_0.4.16-2_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (10)-> libschroedinger-1.0-0_1.0.11-2_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (11)-> libspeex1_1.2~rc1-7_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (12)-> libtheora0_1.1.1+dfsg.1-3.1_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (13)-> libva1_1.0.15-4_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (14)-> libvorbis0a_1.3.2-1.3_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (15)-> libvorbisenc2_1.3.2-1.3_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (16)-> libx264-123_0.123.2189+git35cf912-1_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (17)-> libxvidcore4_1.3.2-9_armhf.deb...OK!
Installing (18)-> minidlna_1.0.24+dfsg-1_armhf.deb...OK!

Configuring MiniDLNA...
Provide the full path (no quotes) to your media libraries.
Enter each per line e.g. /shares/Public/Shared Music.
You can skip now and later edit file /etc/minidlna.conf.

Enter blank anytime to finish: /shares/4TB/
x0 added. More?: /shares/4TB/
x1 added. More?:
[....] Restarting DLNA/UPnP-AV media server: minidlna/usr/bin/minidlna: error while loading shared libraries: libvpx.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 failed!

Ops, I missed libvpx as it’s already installed on my nas long ago when I installed php5-gd.

I’ve fixed it, please retry see if it works.

Installing (5)-> libvpx1_1.3.0-3_armhf.deb...OK!

First of all, thanks a lot, Nazar78!

It is a really brilliant work!

I have a question…

Is there any way to use more recent version of MiniDLNA?

I think v1.0.24 is a little bit older version which is not stable to use for long term.

This version has several bugs, such as too much logs generation, break DB frequently, and etc.

Especially, I need a SMI subtitle support which has been included from v1.1.3.

If it presents, please let us know about it!

Thank you.

Hi kdh812,

Yeah the latest is v1.1.4 released Aug this year, from this guide is the Wheezy Suite ‘stable’ older v1.0.24 version. But even for Jessie and SID it’s still on v1.1.2.

I’ll try later when I have the time to build update guide for v1.1.2 or maybe even v1.1.4.

Works brilliant now, thanks! A more up to date MiniDLNA would be greatly appreciated :smiley:

Hi Nazar,

Thanks for this,

before installing MiniDLNA, Is it required to uninstall Twonky or just switching off the media server in WD dashboard enough?

Thanks.

TDS_D wrote:

Hi Nazar,

Thanks for this,

before installing MiniDLNA, Is it required to uninstall Twonky or just switching off the media server in WD dashboard enough?

Thanks.

No problem. It’s up to you, I have both running at the same time. But if you don’t need twonky, just disable it in the dashboard just like you mentioned. Twonky will not be active.

Thanks, I am going to try today.

Hi Nazar,

Everything went well, except the following error, now minidlna not appearing on my samsung tv, 

FW: 4.01.00-408.

I observed it taking too long for rebooting, earlier it was not this much time.

please help.

Restarting DLNA/UPnP-AV media server: minidlna/usr/bin/minidlna: error while loading

Hi TDS_D,

The error is not complete, what failed to load?

Hi Nazar,

The following is the output of my installation.

Need to wait for the mods to approve your uploaded screenshot. Or can you copy and paste the error here instead?

Hi Nazar,

Unfortunately, I have closed the installation window. Now,  I only have the screenshot, I will wait.

Thanks for the help.

Ok noted.

BTW you can always rerun the online installer without affected affecting the current settings.

TDS_D wrote:

Hi Nazar,

Unfortunately, I have closed the installation window. Now,  I only have the screenshot, I will wait.

Thanks for the help.

Hi TDS_D,

I didn’t see any errors in your desktop screenshot? It would help if you could rerun again, copy & paste the errors as text here (in putty mouse select + left click to copy).

Thanks Nazar for the help.
I will rerun and provide details soon.

Hi guys,

New stuffs… I’ll have it up soon (-:

Hi guys,

MiniDLNA v1.1.4-1 added to the 1st post. Need not uninstall the previous version, but take note of the conf changes mentioned in the 1st post. If you need those new changes, you’ll need to edit them manually. Enjoy (-: