[APP] CrashPlan various versions for firmware V4+ (05/2016)

Live Counter

Note: Can’t see live counter image above? Try again later as my WDMyCloud is offline!

• CrashPlan makes it easy to protect your digital life, so you can get back to what’s important in real life.

• Note that the installed CrashPlan doesn’t have a WebGUI. It needs a slightly modified config PC version to complete the configurations.

• For this, I’ve changed the serviceHost to ‘0.0.0.0’ so that you can easily connect to the WDMyCloud and configure from your CrashPlan PC.

• Note: From v4.3.0+ onwards, there’s changes on how you could connect to the headless UI. Refer to the installer printed details on how to connect for the version you’ve chosen.

• For another method using ssh tunnel, refer to: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer.

• Experienced CrashPlan users can configure directly from the config file: ‘/usr/local/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml’.

• Default backup location has been set to ‘/DataVolume/crashplan’ which you may change as desired from the above PC GUI or config file.

• It might take a few minutes before the daemon starts listening for connections after a reboot or service restart.

• Unfortunately the auto update has been disabled as the officially released ones are not 64K pagesize aligned. I’ll try to keep up updating the major release.

This is CrashPlan v4.2.0, v4.4.1 and v4.6.0 for WDMyCloud V4 Firmware successfully built with 64K page size memory patch. For setups and details, refer to  http://www.code42.com/crashplan/.

For those interested on how to build from the source, refer to this thread. It may help others to continue supporting the 64K page size memory for other packages. Below are my simplified instructions on how to get it installed on the V4 firmware (will not work on older firmwares). 

AND I have also made an online generic 64K page size memory package installer to simplify the installations of Debian packages on WDMyCloud. This will not work on older version 3 WD firmwares and I’m not planning to support it either as I’m sticking with the V4 firmwares. Based on dynamic server-side FastCGI, perl and shell scripts, I’ll be using this method for newer guides from now onwards. Feel free to parse the script codes. All bug reports, opinions and suggestions are welcomed.

The Generic Online Installer:

1) Auto download of required debs including its dependencies if any.

2) Debs installation in the required order to prevent dependency issues.

3) Auto run custom configurations if any.

If you proceed further, you are fully aware of the usual WD’s _warranty void _clauses including disclaimer from any damages that may resulted from this guide.

• Enable SSH on your NAS from the WD DashBoard settings if not done so. SSH to your NAS port 22 using i.e. putty root@wdmycloud.

• To proceed with the installation, first you need to get the username and password from me. The credentials will expire hourly e.g. “1AM,2AM,3AM…” to prevent intentional abuse on my network resources. Click on the link below to get the credentials :

WDMyCloud | TeaNazaR.com

• After obtaining the credentials, just copy & paste into the SSH terminal session of your WDMyCloud:

export NAZAR78_USER=user; export NAZAR78_PASS=pass; export NAZAR78_KEYS=keys;

• Then run the online installer on your WDMyCloud copy & paste as below, follow the instructions and enjoy (-:

Version 4.2.0:
    curl teanazar.com/installer.fcgi?crashplan_4.2.0|sh;

Version 4.4.1:
    curl teanazar.com/installer.fcgi?crashplan_4.4.1|sh;

Version 4.6.0:
    curl teanazar.com/installer.fcgi?crashplan_4.6.0|sh;

For quick backup and restore when WD release newer firmware update:

• Before updating firmware:
    tar zcf /shares/Public/crashplan.tar.gz /usr/local/crashplan/conf;

• After updating firmware:
    tar xf /shares/Public/crashplan.tar.gz -C /;

• Run the online installer again. Your settings will be preserved and you may then remove the tar backup.

Online Installer change log:

[20150629] Added CrashPlan v4.2.0.
[20151115] Added CrashPlan v4.4.1.
[20160507] Added CrashPlan v4.6.0.
1 Like

thanks

how can we buy it ?

It’s free for home use. 30 days trial for backups to CrashPlan Central.

Hi all,

CrashPlan v4.2.0 for firmware V4 installer has been added to the first post!

Enjoy (-:

For those who’s following this post, a new APP has been added to the installer, CrashPlan v4.4.1 for firmware V4. CrashPlan makes it easy to protect your digital life, so you can get back to what’s important in real life.

Refer to the 1st post (-:

Hi Nazar, thank you for your great work. I use Transmission compiled by you :). I’m not interested in CrashPlan, but I’d like to get one of its dependencies: openjdk. I understand your installer automatically downloads it.
How can I get it?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Hi marianowadel,

I don’t distribute them separately. What you could do is to install CrashPlan from my installer then only remove CrashPlan dpkg -P crashplan;.

Thank you Nazar. Won’t this script install other unnecessary dependencies
even after uninstalling CrashPlan? The thing is, the mycloud software is
already a mess… I wouldn’t like to break it even more.
Thanks again.

Hi marianowadel,

CrashPlan only depends on JVM like JRE/Oracle and the other dependencies installed are only for JRE (note this is only JRE, not the whole JDK).

That’s all I need. I’ll do as you said in that case. Thank you very much.

For those who’s following this post, a new version has been added to the first post. As promised to my donors, they will be the first to receive newer builds. I’ll make it public soon so stay tuned (-:

[20160507] Added CrashPlan v4.6.0.

UPDATES: CrashPlan v4.6.0 for firmware V4 now released to public! More info from the top post. Enjoy (-:

hi mate, thanks for this guide.

the one thing i cant get head round, is how do i get to the GUI to enter in my account details and choose what to backup…

am i correct in thinking that maybe after ssh’ing into the NAS and installing Crashplan using your installer, i then switch to my PC Crashplan to point at the NAS

i feel that im so close, but so far away.

its installed successfully on WD and my PC - PC only shows PC folders, not NAS, no matter what file i edit.

would love to get this cracked!

thanks all

You will need to modify the PC version config file C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan.ui_info, <port>,<token>,<local-ip-of-mycloud>. The token can be found on the NAS version cat /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info;echo. Then restart the PC GUI, it will then connect to the NAS instead. Note if you restart the PC version service or restart your PC, this file will revert.

Details here: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer

Omg is that it? Thanks. Then can I tell crashplan what folders on the
nas to backup. What about when the pc shuts down does the nas backup to
crashplan stop or is it just a mechanism

Thank you it’s working. Let me paypal you some money. What email address
should I send to.

The PC is just to initiate the setup on the NAS. Once setup, it’s all good you don’t have to leave the PC running unless of course you also want to backup to the PC itself or vice versa on specific schedule.

You can use this link thanks :slight_smile: PayPal

Hey mate what happens when you stop releasing new versions of crashplan
for. Mycloud . Could it be done some how by us mortals by pulling down the
latest Linux version down from crashplan website?

Cheers.

Sometimes the gui crashes and then it says service can not be contacted.
Is this normal

I’m afraid you can’t just do this by getting the latest version CrashPlan, it needs to be repacked for MyCloud’s compatibility, especially the 64K page size memory part.

With enough support, hopefully I will still continue because I’m not planning to sell off this NAS even if I plan to get a new NAS, probably a six bay.

I’ve never encountered the GUI crashing before, timeout yes and only sometimes bit that slower while trying to connect to MyCloud, no surprise for a small 650MHz dual core CPU 256MB RAM NAS.