My Wd Cloud now has update

Firmware

v04.00.00-607

Today once again for about thousand times I was forced to reboot My Cloud while

I had no chance to see it in my Windows Explore

Then I saw a yellow triangle and this:

Firmware Update Version found:

WDMyCloud 04.00.01-623

It that something to try… or will it cause more trouble…

Would like to read if someone dared to update?

Thank you!

You just throw out the window My Cloud.

Perhaps fly in the clouds.:laughing:

Would regret badly and miss my photos :wink:

I dared to update!

So far no catastrophe has occurred. :slight_smile:

I really do wish that this update will correct all earlier disconnection problems!

spektro wrote:

Would regret badly and miss my photos :wink:

I dared to update!

So far no catastrophe has occurred. :slight_smile:

I really do wish that this update will correct all earlier disconnection problems!

Not sure why the other user thinks poorly of the update.  He or she hasn’t updated as indicated in other threads, so discouraging you from doing so seems odd.  That said, this update was to directly address complaints like yours and your complaints in this thread should be addressed.

Reliability of firmware has yet to be known as this firmware is just out.

So far so good.

Mine has been working all along with each update as they come along.

I use mine just for file transfer from remote locations, so any files on here are transient anyway.

No Family heirlooms stored on it.

I do not use the media serving functions.

Speed over the internal gigabit network:

Currently an 80 mb photo takes 3 seconds to transfer.

A 500 MB folder of 35 documents takes 20 seconds.  Fast enough for me.

However a folder containing 35 folders, each with up to hundreds of pics in them took 54 seconds to open.

This has been about normal for this unit.   If it has not been opened in a while, it takes a while, but it WILL load.

One folder I opened after the update opened instantly.  Must be indexing or something.  But I can live wih that

Reliability of the machine is excellent.  No problems since January or so when I got it.

I upgraded my network to support it.

One more thing, I do not put anything on here that is not already backed up somewhere else.

Same with ANY hard drive.

Does anyone know if it’s still possible to install software on WDMC after updating to the newest v4.

I have Bittorrent sync on my WDMC, and didn’t dare to update after I read that it wasn’t possible to install software with firmware after v03.04.01-230.

/Peter

peswe wrote:

Does anyone know if it’s still possible to install software on WDMC after updating to the newest v4.

I have Bittorrent sync on my WDMC, and didn’t dare to update after I read that it wasn’t possible to install software with firmware after v03.04.01-230.

/Peter

This is copy pasted from user “Nazar78” in this thread

“dpkg: warning: files list file for package ‘libpam-winbind:armhf’ missing; assuming package has no files currently installed”

The errors that you're seeing above is normal when you try to "apt-get install" on this device because the packages has been modified by WD. It's safe to ignore as long you didn't remove/upgrade anything during the installations.

BUT the main "problem" is now you're on firmware V4. You will not be able to use "apt-get install" successfully due to V4's 64K memory page size. You'll need to rebuild the debs patched with this new V4 requirement. See this thread for more info: [GUIDE] Building packages for the new firmware... someone tried it?

Doing a restore from WD's Dashboard settings will not fix this, you'll need to reflash the firmware. Download the V4 firmware manually and upgrade it from the Dashboard settings. It will not wipe your shared backups. If after the upgrade you see WD Dashboard acting weirdly, go to the settings again and do a "system" only restore. This will also preserve your shared backups.

I have MySQL installed on V4 but only after going through all the rebuild hassle. I would advise if you really want to have MySQL installed, downgrade to V3 to be able to use "apt-get install". There's two method, modify the upgrade script or the version file. Search this forum for details.

I would probably either avoid installing bittorrent, or download older firmware. The new firmware otherwise seems stable however, I havent noticed any performance improvements but I’m connected to the HDD via wifi anyway so was not expecting to :smiley:

Sleep mode doesn’t work anymore… :frowning: … 27 hours

I got the update 2 days
at this moment, works fast and stable
I hope it stays that way

Congratulations boys from WD

Upgraded mine today works good no problems so far, seems a bit quicker both in dashboard and transfering data.

Just performed the update to it.

My observations:

Well I downloaded it, unziped it, saved to local hard drive as instructed.

I ejected, using web interface, and unplugged my 12TB RAID5 USB3 4-Disk Vantec enlosure.

I clicked on the arrow to proceed with next step of update but was not even presented the option to use a local file.

No worries, It downloaded another copy then installed it and rebooted.

The Web interface is much faster that previous now but still takes several long minits to show the USB enclosure and shares. It is possibly faster than before but unknown since it’s been a while since I rebooted the device. Still slow.

Anyways, all my shares remain, all my users remain, and logins seem to be consitant with previous states.

My network only uses SAMBA.

FTP, SSH, Media Streamin, iTunes and notifications remain tuned off as I wish them to be.

I hope the disconnect issues have been resolved and if not I will post here.

So, to conclude, Go for it. The auto update worked fine, and no new problems have shown their ugly heads, and the WEB inerface is quicker. I have another 9TB identical enclosure and hope that I can use it with my USB powered hub now, I do not know yet. If it does function I am looking forward to backing up the files on the mycloud local drive to something with redundancy.

I hope my experience and this report helps somebody.

Any thread for reporting bugs only???

In Windows 7, WD MyCloud cannot be reached after up for some time in Windows Network. SSH, or UI still reachable. I guess this is the issue of building thumbnails again as this status never finished.

Is building thumbnails over killed the ARM cpu? WD really has to check for that, it is urgent.

[update]

A linux box in the same local area network can access the WD MyCloud shares. Probably it is Windows problem, but is it related to WD MyCloud? Please advise.