NOTICE: WD2Go.com and WDMyCloud.com users in relay mode are reporting that connections

NOTICE:  WD2Go.com and WDMyCloud.com users in relay mode are reporting that connections to devices are slow or unavailable

WD is actively investigating this issue and is hoping to have the problem resolved soon.

For the latest update on service issues for My Cloud and My Book Live, please visit http://www.wdc.com/en/MyCloudUpdate/

4 Likes

Is this why I cannot connect to my drive remotely from work from early morning today? :slight_smile:

p.

1 Like

unbelievable… never WD again.

If i would like to have so many problems, I can use an cloud service…

mizsio wrote:

Is this why I cannot connect to my drive remotely from work from early morning today? :slight_smile:

p.

Most likely.  We are still working on fixing the issue.

I jsut got my drive and it’s been a rough ride so far with this connectivity issue at WD2GO. Isn’t there a way to bypass WD2GO and authenticate against the My Cloud directly? I have setup a DDNS name for my router’s public address and I can connect to the drive with an “access forbidden” error, I guess the UI is not accessible from the WAN side. But it seems the Java applet and stuff all come from the drive itself and not from WD2GO so why couldn’t I connect directly to get those and not be “handicapped” by this outage?

Dan

1 Like

Hi Guys… 

On a road trip and cant access My Cloud. Could use it yesterday evening but went out last night. Had my wife shut down and reboot it. Steady Blue light. Now WD2go.com  says device offline. Local indication is normal. Could this be part of this outage? I use this for work so going to be an issue soon. thank God for thumb drives.

dweber69 wrote:

I jsut got my drive and it’s been a rough ride so far with this connectivity issue at WD2GO. Isn’t there a way to bypass WD2GO and authenticate against the My Cloud directly? I have setup a DDNS name for my router’s public address and I can connect to the drive with an “access forbidden” error, I guess the UI is not accessible from the WAN side. But it seems the Java applet and stuff all come from the drive itself and not from WD2GO so why couldn’t I connect directly to get those and not be “handicapped” by this outage?

Dan

The drive is designed the way it is for security reasons.

jmille1959 wrote:

Hi Guys… 

On a road trip and cant access My Cloud. Could use it yesterday evening but went out last night. Had my wife shut down and reboot it. Steady Blue light. Now WD2go.com  says device offline. Local indication is normal. Could this be part of this outage? I use this for work so going to be an issue soon. thank God for thumb drives.

Yes it is. 

still offline… fix your **bleep** NOW!!!

Has there been any news? I spent half the day trying to make this work. Out of town and this is the main reason I bought the WDMYCloud.

1 Like

It’s the weekend. They are not working on it. There have been so many problems with this cloud that they would have to be working non stop since release… do you know how much over time that is?

Thanks for the response Bill. I don’t see why a standalone implementation, without wd2go, would have to be any less secure. Properly designed and implemented it would be even stronger as there is one less component in the mix that could potentially be compromissed and breached. Although with the outage of wd2go I guess we have the ultimate security by not being able to access the drives remotely at all.

Anyway, I guess that’s not how this works. I guess I should have researched this device a bit more before I purchased.

dweber69 wrote:

But it seems the Java applet and stuff all come from the drive itself and not from WD2GO…

In “Step 2,” yeah, all the authentication goes thru the drive.   However, the advantage to the WD 2go “service” is that it aggregates all your drives in one portal.    I have five WD drives, and they all appear on the same portal.  I don’t have to keep track of which port is handling which drive (since the UPnP backend is dynamic and ports can change from time to time) etc.

The EX2 and EX4 do have direct connect capability via WebDAV; just not the Cloud or other similar NASes.

Wow… WD2go.com is down. Can we trust this going forward? It would be good if we could get updates on the issue during the day. After all this is Western Digital,:cry: not a mom and pop outfit. Come on guys.

Agreed, any status update would be good!

We know what the issue is and are in the middle of fixing it.  However, you may continue to experience intermittent connection issues until the fix is fully implemented.

Thanks Bill!

Same problem here, I haven’t been able to connect to my cloud remotely all week long:(

I can’t access my book live at all either on wd2go or wd photos apps on my iphone over cellular network. It was working this morning. I don’t use relay but I can’t see under the UI the connection showing as either relay or port forwarding. Just says failed error 31520. Has the fix been completed? Should the drive be rebooted or will it start to work once a fix has been completed?

I will let you know when it has been fixed.  However, it should just start working.  You shouldn’t have to do anything.