My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

Congrats!! May I ask - which size and how many media files did the machine have to scan?

@RichArnold
Supporting the colleague. We have enough ■■■■ around us in 2020 to spend our time and efforts for chasing and praying to the Master WD for courtesy to listen our problems. Problems that we received unexpectedly from the company, who took our money and ruin our restful life.
Can we trust them now? I don’t think so, since they don’t listen our appeal at all.
Fortunately, there are a lot of other players in NAS production, and I wish everyone to buy nice replacement from Synology, QNAP, or Asustor.
Although, I’m happy owner of Synology since last Saturday, I wish you guys quickest recovery after all this mess

2 Likes

Seems like something is moving.

Check > here <

My cloud OS 5.05.111 is going to be released today.

I have had the same problems described in all the replies with long days of full fans a noise, but now i noticed another bad thing: the sand-by mode never goes up, even if nothing is connected to the NAS (EX2 Ultra). Before this update the StandBy mode works grate

@smilelon only 800gb in 2x2TB in RAID. Dont know how many files I have 

This 5.05 looks like it’s tidying up the authentication issues for older software and adding transmission, but not addressing the really big design flaws in OS5.
It really does seem to me that WD are just deaf to feedback and determined to follow a certain course, to the great detriment of a significant number of users.

Meanwhile after 4 days indexing I stopped all kind of cloud accesses and shares. 
Not knowing by when it will end up for data with lots of files up to 22TB. I took multiple hours on several days on diagnostic after this upgrade, at the end for nothing. And
no I have no extra options to backup, maybe in short term to another HW providers NAS!
I cannot understand what experts tested this messy OS version as an improvement in that company and enabled it for rollout. In the IT company I work, we had put together task forces to fix on 24/7 as long as major fixes are ready to be deployed asap, sure testing need time, but a staged fixing approach concept could help, but at WD I miss such experts and strategies.
This update put all users, small companies around the globe at risk. WD will see how the users will react to move to other providers.
I am awaiting now by short term fixes to see corrections on the most strange bugs. By mid term I would like to see a major updates to return to an acceptable normal functionality and operation of the OS.
As well rethink to improve the old OS 3 for more optimization as put all the ■■■■ to be shared / index up to a web interface to revert to fix most bad configurred OS5. The people who require that should have dedicate options to select options for that as a general setting is not acceptable.
And let us know what improvements in detail will be fixed prior you go finaly for a major relase change, like a UAT.
Finally ignoring the users feedback by the community to stay less reactive instead of being proactive mirros to me how WD is performing! Just the bunch of the painful messages should ring a big bell at desk of WD experts up to business leaders or chairmen to manage this major issue!

As no or very poor improvments will take place, WD will see that the customer won’t trust anymore, and be sure the custerms are acting faster as you thnik and move forward!
Just 2 clicks and another HW is ordered and delivered 2 days later
RETHINK on your own business and do not ignore your customers!

I am sorry, but I am really pissed.

3 Likes

To be fair. . . . . .

• some of the issues with indexing are fundamental to the working of the app and system. Adding the ability to index by directory or changing how indexing functions are major changes

• There is a probably a culture issue. . . .at what point do you admit to a conceptual flaw in the functional specification of software? Certainly not now. . . when a fix is nowhere in site.

To be unfair

• I suspect these are not “new” issues.

• Note all the conversation on the boards about the WebApp and PhoneApp. To me, it means one of two things: Either it works perfect . . . . or nobody is trying to use it. I will give you too guesses. Considering this Is the major point of the entire upgrade; wow. Just wow.

1 Like

The web app and the phone app are VERY FAR from perfect. Just this indexing problem is so terrible few people have yet got further and realised what a downgrade these also are.

And by the way, the PR4100 I used to test OS5 is still indexing 2 weeks after the last time I used it

I’m having the same problem
PR4100 with 4x10TB, indexing take forever, received several email warnings over temperature
I currently deactivate cloud access while waiting for a repair from WD
While waiting, I started looking for another brand of NAS if the WD didn’t do anything

1 Like

I personally can’t believe that someone would initiate a transcoding operation without deliberate action. On a 4bay NAS unit. . . . .I mean. . a 4 bay NAS. . .that implies a HUGE amount of media, does it not?

What did they think would happen?

(to think. . .I complained about a lowly 2bay EX2 ultra.)

I use my NAS for media streaming across HEOS, Roon devices, PCs and Apple device end points with close to 60,000 tracks. The lack of WD ownership of the issue, and my lack of conifidence in their future management of NAS support has made me make the decision to go with a Synology NAS

The only “good thing” with the new update is that you can see the indexing progress (%).

Still no update on my device.

@KMBak I downloaded manually from here.

My sense is that the big problems we’re experiencing are the result of a deep level pooch-screwage in the OS 5 design, and they’re fixing what they can fix quickly. Hopefully, someone is working on the big issues (including the development and release process itself).

1 Like

The problems with OS5 are all down to a redesign of MyCloud.
In my opinion this redesign has three flaws
1 - It is aimed at a different audience to much of WD’s current user base. Messages like ‘Your memories are safe’ when doing an upload are not aimed at business users, obviously.
2 - It is in many things large and small, from the ui to the indexing, simply badly done
3 - (And point 2 may be partly an outcome of this) I suspect it of having a hidden agenda such as monetisation of MyCloud. Taking easy integration with other cloud services out of the app, for example, could be a clue here.

I’ve also noticed that although they mention the possibility to switch off video transcoding for MyCloud, they don’t mention the whole wasted thumbnailing resources.

Overall, whatever the reasons, they tried to do too many things at once with the OS5 release instead of taking a more phased approach.

I’m thinking, if they officially support Docker, then everything we currently use MyCloud for can be done with Docker and MyCloud can simply be switched off except for the people for whom it has been designed - people for whom messages such as ‘hello xxx’ and ‘your memories are safe’ are targeted.

1 Like

This is only a marketing strategy, because from what I can see My Cloud OS5 brings no addded value but troubles only.

MyCloud OS3 was way better.

So after 10 days and disabling web access for many shares, mine has stopped “indexing” but the drives are still churning hard, they are at about 50 degrees Celsius each. How do I find out what else this piece of ■■■■ is up to???

Ok, I upgraded to 5.05.111.

The indexing is finished (it was on going since 4 days, now in 20’ it finished
miracle) BUT
 CPU is still going up & down crazily and there is infinite disk activity, as nothing changed.
Definitely far away from Stand-by or IDLE condition, even if no one is accessing the device and no backup/activity is ongoing now.

I had to turn the Cloud off to silent the device. Killing a feature to have a normal situation is NOT a solution.

1 Like