My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

Mate, me too - I need to upgrade from os5 to os3. not even microsoft did a ■■■■■■ decision with the magnitude of this one… (ok, vista was close)

8 Likes

Too late WD. It’s done.

2 Likes

Goodbye WD, sorry but this is a too big mistake.
I disabled all cloud access and uninstalled all horrible WD APPs. No more indexing, no more stress for my CPU, my disk, my fan. Through HybridMount I connected WD MyCloud Mirror to my wonderful brand new QNAP TS-253D. Now, with QNAP APP (Qfile) I can see all files, both of QNAP and WD.
I’ll never buy again a WD product.

5 Likes

:+1:

I’ve bought the same model. Today arrived, works perfect !

1 Like

Same for me here, after 10 days still indexing and now temperature over 50º. Very disappointed with the upgrade,

Bonjour,

J’en suis au même point : +/- 10 jours que l’accès aux données est impossible : “Indexation…” Mais je suis presqu’heureux, après 10 jours, je vois 3 répertoires s’afficher alors que je n’en voyais encore qu’un hier… C’est que ça avance…

C’est quand même malheureux de proposer une mise à jour aussi contraignante sans prévenir du délai de remise en service de l’équipement.

WD pourait proposer une alternative à cette contrainte…

Autre sujet : WD Sync était très pratique, mais il semble qu’il ne fonctionne plus avec OS5. Et la solution Goodsync m’a l’air bien moins pratique. D’autres ont-il essayé ?

Courage à tous !

1 Like

Endless indexing is also consuming GBs out of my storage. This is ridiculous…

WD Why this?
I migrate from OS3 to OS5 at 5 days ago… since that i stop acessing to the drive … I’ve never imagined the first step (before upgrade) is to consult issues about WD product release!!!. totally disappointed… I need the NAS for working and now i have a peace of junk…
WD can you provide the rollback OS instructions for my WD cloud Mirror? WD PLEASE MINIMIZE THE DAMAGE…

2 Likes

I was suffering seeing the temperature alert on all the times. So I’ve opted for disabling the cloud for the moment waiting an answer from WD.

I got another follow up email from support. Not sure how helpful it is to anyone. My drive is now working as it did in the past. Not because if these suggestions but because I decided to reformat my drives (after backing everything up). I then added all my saved info and it indexed for a day or so and since that completed it has been totally fine. However, I figured I’d share what they wrote.

Dear BRENT,

Thanks for your reply. We apologize for the inconvenience the new update is causing you.

If the device is still indexing, please proceed with the steps below:

1. Turn OFF any installed 3rd party apps like Twonky, Plex until the Indexing process has completed 100%

2. Turn OFF “Mobile & Web App Access” on any share that contain any type of backup data including TimeMachineBackup, Smartware and Backup data shares.

3. Turn OFF “Mobile & Web App Access” on any share the customer DOES NOT need Cloud access to.

4. Turn OFF “Mobile & Web App Access” for all USB Shares especially the ones used for NAS2USB Backups.

5. Reboot the My Cloud

If the device, it seems, is no longer indexing but is still inaccessible, please send me the device’s LOGS so I can escalate your case.

How to Collect My Cloud System Logs

I’ll be waiting for your update.

Once your support case is closed, you will receive a 20-second survey regarding our services. We thank you in advance for participating!

Sincerely,

Mariandrea C

Western Digital Technical Support
http://support-en.wd.com

thanks @BrentNH for sharing the information.

@WD_Admin Serious users are using your drives to backup large amounts of data. Now you ask these users to backup their backup? Are you providing another WD system for this or where shall I backup 12 TB of data to? Just want to point out to you, that this is not a viable solution for many users here.

3 Likes

@WD_Admin At least provide us with the terminal commands to stop indexing by connecting with ssh. These command existed for WD OS 3 and back in the days they solved the problem without disabling cloud access.

Old commands to “kill” indexing:

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

But they no longer work after the update…

The process restsdk-server.toml is consuming so much cpu and memory:

The indexing is taking forever even with 1.5TB of data. That’s why everyone is turning to Synology…

3 Likes

@WD_Admin Why are you indexing everything? Is there a setting to stop it? People are using a Plex Server for their media server. Wow - I can’t believe this happened. This is the last WD product I will be buying and will pass on that message.

2 Likes

I now have NO access at all to the NAS, time outs when trying to connect … what a farce, this was after following the advice given above. What solution are you going to give me WD? A full refund of my wasted money would be a start !!!

2 Likes

My advice.

Buy a Synology. I’ve had mine 2 days and the sheer usability is leaps and bounds over OS3 let alone the **** show that is OS5.

Its quicker, easier to access and move files, the back ups happen without needing to manage it and without missing files, it’s quieter, uses less power and resource…i can’t think of a scenario that my now redundant (thanks to OS5) EX2 Ultra is better in any way at all.

2 Likes

I had the exact same answer form WD.
Turn the whole thing down… and use it for… what…?
After following the procedure “reboot my Cloud” the device just send there. hot as hell and the fan sounds like it’s about to break down…
What a mess…

Hello My Cloud users,

Thank you for all the feedback in this post. We’d like to let you know that the indexing process can be stopped by turning off Mobile & Web app access per network share under the Share tab of the web dash board. If you do not need to use the mobile and web app, you can turn off Cloud Access from the web dashboard and that will stop the indexing as well.

If you are interested in getting the latest status update from us of the top issues with My Cloud OS 5, please check out this post.

Thanks,

My Cloud Product Team

Fun fact: WD support replied to a similar → thread ← so I start thinking they are ignoring us on purpose.

I have no other explanation.

hi all - i am about to get emotional - after 11 days the status change from INDEXING to COMPLETED and I am now abler to access my file/photos via the mobile APP. Looks it worked, however it was a really painful week.

Just wanted to share some good news :wink:

2 Likes