My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

updated to 5.05.111 and indexing immediately stopped after restart. everything seems to work. CPU usage finally at a normal level and my 53C° Hard drives are finally getting a break.

Fans have been running at over 10k rpm, drives at over 50C° for almost 2 weeks. New firmware definitely worth it so far. Had to do a manual update. Drives are cooling as we speak.

1 Like

После ручной установки обновления 5.05.111.При включении DHCP в роутере ASUS AX88U , WD My cloud PR4100 исчезает соединение через определенное время ,связь со всеми устройствами ПК, и ТВ. Помогает только установка статического адреса IP! Не хрена ничего не исправили!
Ранее отваливался сервер Twonky.

Thanks for that answer, i think its at least 50% of an solution.

But i have a second question: if i finish the indexing and restart the WD, would it indexing again or not?
And if i restart while indexing, do it start from zero or were i stopped?

Does someone know that? I mean, sometimes it sounds like it would.

1 Like

All , with reference to “indexing taking forever” :slight_smile:

I have got the PR4100 / 16GB internal / 8 TB disk usage 70%.
it took the machine 6 days before indexing was done.
systems is running stable and is quiet.

Ray

My understanding is that indexing will occur on a regular basis. . .but only for INCREMENTAL changes on the drive. . . . basically, to keep the thumbnails uptodate.

Ah? Where? On https://os5.mycloud.com ?

I suspect scb99 is correct on the marketing aspect.

I think it is worthwhile noting that I have abandoned more than one long term product because they switched to a subscription type model.

I think many of the people who buy NAS units are not interested in “subscriptions” either.
If I was to subscribe to a data storage service. . . .I would probably use dropbox or onedrive. . . .I would not even consider WD as a credible vendor. (nor google. . . given google’s track record of abandoning products)

Frankly. . . . I think I would be perfectly happy WITHOUT the cloud access and web app.

Since the update i cant find the WD on my TV, does the media server also need the indexing?
Or did the update changed something?

I update the firmware to that newest version. No indexing but fan still is over 6000 rpm. Why?!

@guinom No. Here: My Cloud OS 5 Firmware Release Note v5.05.111 - #3

Just select your model.

1 Like

Hi all :slight_smile:

Here with the same problem of indexind process, after many days of fans running very fast I had to interrupt it because I was worried about temperature of my NAS My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2, very upset about WD update, I have made it without any worries and happy to see always new support but it is difficult to understand how they have tested the new version of MyCloud OS5.

Trying to find a solution I have seen these lot of messages, the new updtate help us to see the progress of indexing files, but I have tryied to updated to 5.05 without any success, also by manual update. Someone that have encountered the same problem of updating?

First time I’ve noticed it is showing a % complete …

Only 3 days to get to this stage

Is this an EX2 Ultra? Because for mine the 5.05 update isnt available. (there they added the % and the option to deactivate web and app stuff to stop indexing)

No it’s the WD Mirror …

So now I have upgraded the firmware of my WDPR4100 .
The cloud access first showed failure
Then I logged it out,
Now there is no chance to log in again.
I have even reset the password.
I changed network settings and tried DHCP and back to static.
device is connected to the internet but can not connect to the cloud,

Also firmware update says: Firmware Update Server not available
When I try to access from outside it says device is offline.

Could it potentially be that the WD Server is down?

Anyone else having similar experience?

Yes I had exactly the same thing and the thing that fixed my situation was just waiting after doing a restart. the CPU was pounding doing some thing but once it settled down it suddenly connected and all was good after that. support reached out to me and asked for my logs they may do the same for you but clearly this is behaviour that they weren’t expecting

I am just in a chat with them.
Will report back.
They try their best but the genrleman seems quite clueless.

Update: Service representative is suggesting to do a system only reset. This would then start the indexing from the beginning. I have been indexing for 12 days …

That I am frustrated is an understatement,

I will first wait now until tomorrow. Perhaps the cloud comes back miraculously.

1 Like

Oh no. That doesn’t sound good. I hope it comes around for you.

Indexing only starts when you allow Web App access.

Given the quality of the web apps. . . .maybe you don’t really need to index the drive for a bit.