My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

After 2 weeks things have settled down on mine now, drive temp back to normal and no more fan noise. I still get very odd issues with the mobile app like entire folders disappearing but on the whole much better. Personally OS5 seems to give me nothing I did not have in OS3, however as commented above this looks like a marketing push going after a certain user base.

My memory use is still sitting at 80% with loads of processes running, anyone else have the same? If so does anyone know if they all needed and could we switch some off.

After updating my EX2 Ultra to ‘5.05.111’ I was able to see the status of indexing and it was pretty fast then. But now it looks it was fast just on the UI apparently… On the Dashboard it no longer says ‘Indexing’ (it just says ‘Connected’) but the CPU usage still jumps between 80% to 100%, fans are at 8000rpm and disk temp is at 46°C again and keeps raising.

1 Like

Was a good idea not to reset the device.
Ths morning login was miraculously possible again.
So I guess that WD had done some work in the background.

Back in the indexing game.
Device showing 34% so still a long way to go for my 10TB.

Same here.

EX2 Ultra with 2 x 2tb Ironwolf drives, RAID 1 with only around 1tb of data. Upgraded to OS 5 around 12 hours ago, currently indexing 58% (this hasn’t changed for around an hour). CPU 80-100% activity, RAM around 80%, fan on constantly (9090 RPM), drives both at 45 °C - but Diagnostics says this is healthy. I had this with a Synology DS119j, which made it impossible to use, and was why I moved to the EX2 Ultra. Hopefully, this will not last…

I have upgraded to 5.05 and it seems to be better now, at least temperature is not so high and I can see how it goes. I connected back to the cloud yesterdays and it said 50%. After fourteen hours now it says 57% at this rate there are still several days left.

1 Like

UPDATE(maybe solution): Updated manualy to 5.05.111, waited some hours (even if it just say connected) - done. (3 TB full of 4 TB Raid 1)
im realy finished the indexing and cpu usage with that, but the shown % of indexing are ■■■■■■■■, its done when its done.
I dont know what they changed, but it seemed to work.

only things like making a folder public or start plex or twonky server (the option “media server” isnt there now) let the CPU runing again for a while. But i think, that could be the same like bevore.

is there any step-by-step how to upgrade manually?

yes, as already posted, you can download the firmware for your model here: My Cloud OS 5 Firmware Release Note v5.05.111 - #3
then you go to settings/firmware update and klick on update from file image.

CaptureEX2

Not better with Fw 5.05.111 … when the cloud access is enabled, the %CPU increase instantly … and nothing to index.

Process : restsdk-server -configPath /usr/local/modules/restsdk/etc/restsdk-server.toml

9 hours later and it has reached…61%!

For me it goes as fast as 10% per day, so four days left I guess.

About My Cloud EX2 Ultra. (part 3)

Almost 11 days in indexing…%Util of the two disks are ~95%. (iostat -x 30).

Thanks for the tip, will not update to Fw 5.05.111 which would “potentially” cause a reboot and the restart of indexing from 0. I will reach to support to see what they have to say and determine if I should return it.

I had to do a reset. No cloud access. not even after rebooting and not even waiting 2 -days. Now it is all working again, but again ending up with building the Indexing again. OMG.

Sorry to hear this rv1962!
At least with the upgraded firmware we can see a percentage.

My advise: disable some of your shares for cloud access and only activate them later. This is what I have done. You can then decide a good time for another round of indexing :wink:

EX2 Ultra … the percentage indexed shows … 48 hours later is 27% indexed and the wait goes on.

The dashboard shows connected. (no indexing going on I suppose) but still ram is at 70% utilization.
plus if no indexing is going on then it should show the categories of data but it’s not.
Plus my account keeps signing off from the cloud access every time I check after a while.

!

Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 1.53.07 PM|690x431

@ WD Cloud EX2 admin experts…

12 days in indexing… Last big fs remains. Others have the status:[complete]

Using linux commands… (ssh must be enabled)

ssh my_cloud_ip_address
tail -f /var/log/analyticprivate.log

After some checks. Found that only myphotofs partition was still being indexed as others were complete as of today Time 08h17m.

Count from T08:17 is 29069 to last entry at T12:30 is 29400. 331 processed in ~252 min = 1.3 indexed per min! 177 days left! If I round to 2, 78days left ! Hope I am wrong !

This is the log:
2020-11-15T08:17:56.104108-05:00 di=hAHKWyvE4s info RestSDK_AdminUI: {“msgid”:“RestSDK_AdminUI”,“corid”:“*******************”,“function”:“get_device_scan_progresss”,“message”:“myphotofs - status:[in progress] scan_file_count:[29069] expect_file_count:[255017]”}

2020-11-15T12:30:02.350635-05:00 di=hAHKWyvE4s info RestSDK_AdminUI: {“msgid”:“RestSDK_AdminUI”,“corid”:“********************”,“function”:“get_device_scan_progresss”,“message”:“myphotofs - status:[in progress] scan_file_count:[29400] expect_file_count:[255017]”}

Is this part of the log line really indicative of the progress? 29379 files of 255017?
→ status:[in progress] scan_file_count:[29400] expect_file_count:[255017]"}

Ex 2 ULTRA 8 TB Raid 1.

One share ~ 1.100.000 photos/videos ~ 2 TB
20-25 files per minute indexing speed.
30 days remaining approx.

:tired_face:

I have another ex 2 ultra 8 TB in its box. I think I will return it to the store.

And indexing is not really finished even when the indexing is finished !!!

So i disabled cloud access …

1 Like

What happens if cloud access is disabled and re-enabled for one share?

Does the indexing start from the beginning?

I need cloud access on one of my ex ultra 2.