My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

i think no

From what I have seen. . . .

. . .indexing is always active if cloud access is enabled.

Indexing is generally “incremental” after the initial push to index all the cloud-enabled shares. It does not “start from the beginning” after either reboot or toggeling cloud access.

Indexing however, would start from the beginning if you do a “system restore” (aka 4 second reset)

So. 
 once indexing is complete. . . . CPU usage is tolerable (i.e. small). RAM. . .however. . .may be a different matter.

NOTE: If you don’t need the phone app, or the WD PC file access. . . you don’t need to have “cloud access”. You can still VPN into the unit. Not sure about other apps like Plex and Transmission

NOTE: These answers are for the EX series (this is the EX subforum). . .I suspect but I do not know that the MyCloud Mirrors act the same. The Pro series (which has a better processor) also TRANSCODES as a part of indexing. . . . which is honestly simply rude.

On my EX2, indexing is complete but CPU usage is not tolerable 
 and the fan goes up to 7000 rpm 

2020-11-16T11:30:15.615000+01:00 di=5fy9KD8Jcc info RestSDK_AdminUI: {“msgid”:“RestSDK_AdminUI”,“corid”:“AUI:06155649-9eb6-42fb-a4bd-c697f454161b”,“function”:“get_device_scan_progresss”,“message”:“ex2 - status:[complete] scan_file_count:[0] expect_file_count:[0]”}

I did, and that recommendation helped a lot !

I have similar situation. The indexing is now at 82% and my storage is at least 100 GB shorter than before the indexing started. Did you or anyone else observed significant loss of free space during and after indexing?

1 Like

I haven’t heard that anyone has actually had the index complete.

WD EX2 Ultra indexing Day 13

Called WD support. They suggested upgrading to latest firmware 5.05.111 saying it would help a little
 and it did a little. (My previous Firmware was 2 weeks old)

The update to 5.05.111 seems to have 2 impacts:

1. Indexing speed raised from ~1.7 to 27 per minute. (from 78days to ~7 days left maybe)

Linux command: tail -f /var/log/analyticprivate.log
#Check status:[in progress] scan_file_count:[nnnnnnnn] expect_file_count:[255000]

1. disk %util down from 95% to %70 and 55%. Probably better for read. Not optimal for write until indexing “completes”.
    linux command ‘iostat -x 30’

Let’s see what happens with the pace in the next ~7days

I indexed about 1.5TB of data on an EX2 a while back. It took 40 hours. . . I was seriously annoyed.
Then I did something “odd” with my user accounts and had to do a system restore. Indexing round #2 took about 27 hours.

Given the state of the WD cloud apps; Do you really need web access?

1 Like

yes it eats away hundreds gb

Ok thankfully I haven’t done this update yet
 Would I be best just keeping OS3 and pray WD step up and fix their horrible update???

1 Like

Dears.

Is this the normal HDD temperature? I have this NAS for a month and I still have this temperature. Thank you for your response.

The best you can do is buy an external Fan to keep the temp below 40°. You will need it if you’re planning to keep other services running: Plex, iTunes, etc.

I installed a fan on top and opened the top covers after receiving an overheat alarm. The temp is now 26c for both disks with an ambient temperature of 18c. I posted something related on this chat previously. My disks are working hard indexing
 This unit cannot tolerate extensive work as it will overheat even in ambient temperature of 21c. I will see what happens when/if indexing completes when I remove the fans as I don’t expect much will happen on the drives.

Can you please send me a link to such a fan? Well thank you. The manufacturer’s website states that the normal temperature is up to 60 degrees. I have WD gold hard drives.

Using a very normal fan, hopefully temporarily
 https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-desk-fan-with-clip-black-6-in-0435498p.html#srp

An external fan should not be required for any NAS.

or wait to get an overheat alarm to see if issue

There are several guides you can search for. AC Infinit brand is a good choice, their fans are silent and some have speed control: Amazon.com

1 Like

This is such trash software and garbage. Installed the new firmware and it sometimes show % complete but most of the time doesn’t. What a bunch incompetent software developers.

2 Likes

The indexing of my EX2 Ultra took just over 5 days! But it has now completed and the machine has settled down with little disk access. However, it does appear to have taken up quite a bit of disk space with free space marked down from 1.24TB to 1.1TB (on a 2TB system). I feel the upgrade to version 5.05.11 did help, certainly the view of % complete was comforting.

I think i wasted my money buying second wd product. its been almost a week , my device shows 46 deg. still indexing. i don’'t need indexing. y can,t they they left this option with users???
Also web file viewer has been removed for what?? i brought this device seeing this functions and now its been removed in new update
 The usb backup always fails with sync. total waste of time and money.
they should understand what client need 

Can anyone help to SSH and stop indexing services in OS5