Working fine, then all of a sudden no remote access

Hi all,

I have had my WDMyCloud device for a couple of weeks now.  About a week ago I was unable to connect using WD2Go for about 2 hours, then for apparently no reason I was able to connect again.  And it has been fine since then until this morning (09:00 GMT).

After the first occurrence I changed to a static IP and updated the firmware and all was good until today. 

Now I find I am unable to connect again using WD2Go, WDMYCloud.com,. iPad app, iPhone app.

Anyone else had this behavior?  Could it be that the WD servers are misbehaving?  I assume they are part of the connection process, I guess they map your email address to your public IP address.

Any thoughts anyone.

Yours disappointedly,

Have you seen the other threads regarding the MyCloud disconnecting?  Can you see it on your LAN?  Mine disconnects but then I can’t access it any method: ping, ssh, remote app,

Am running 3.01.04 firmware.  What is yours at?

Alas I am remote from the LAN, so I have no idea if it has disconnected completely.

I am also on 3.01.04, updated the day it was released.

I have read most of the posts on this site in a desperate attempt to understand what the cause it.  A real pity, this could have been a ground breaking bit of tech.

So I get back home and connect to the device on the LAN.  Check all the settings and check remote access again - it works again.  How strange.  Could the IP address that your ISP allocates you change?  If it did would this cause the issue?

Its quite normal for your IP address to change, in fact under the old dial up method it changed everytime you logged in. I would therefore assume that all that was taken care of in the method that WD uses to connect to your drive remotely.

Thanks.  Perhaps their servers use the MAC address of the router.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/HOW-TO-Troubleshooting-Remote-Connectivity-Issues/m-p/617261#M1130

Tony (apologies if that is not your name),

Thank you for your response.  I did read and digest the troubleshooting guide at length, I was fully intending to go through this step by step, however when I got home I discovered that remote access was working again (it is now).

That is what I don’t understand, if it works now and has done before, and I have not changed anything, the settings are all correct, so why does the remote access fail every now and again.  Could it be something to do with my ISP?

The only thing I have not opted to do is to change the ports, but given my router has uPnP enabled, I do not see why this is necessary, especially since for the majority of the time remote access is working.

So, once again this morning no remote connection available (PC, iPhone and iPadd).  Fortunately this time I am local to the device so I can get on the dashboard.  All settings are good including internet connection.

Used Finder on the MAC to explore the folders - all good.

Went back onto remote machine to test again - hey presto it is back and available.

I will of course test this again the next time it loses the remote connection.  It rather looks like the connection is lost until you wake the thing up locally.

I’m facing with the same issue, I tried pretty much everything, sometimes it is working from my work, but usually not, unstable.

portfw, dyndns is working, router is stable, no idea what is the problem.

Interesting.  Do you find it suddenly comes back on-line for no apparent reason?

For me there is the same problem. Just bought yesterday, upgraded regularly to latest firmware. No problem on my home lan.

When out for job, NO connection at all, both via cable and 3G with my android.

In reality I never succeded in connecting remotely, at least you did once…

UPnP ok, router ok, Mycloud ok, so what?

Should I give back it to WD?

I
cannot wait days just to hear at least a reply from WD. Thy are silent even via phone customer service…

Absolutely disappointed (to say the least)

My remote access is intermittent.  Runs fine for a few days, then nothing, then runs fine again for a few days, then nothing…

Mine is no accessible either remote or local.  I can’t log in or even ping the IP

Curious about some of the temperature comments.  Wonder if I can correlate the uptime with temperature?

So it has been fine for a few days.  This morning working fine at 9:30am, no connection at 11:47.  I was hoping the new version of the WD My Cloud software would resolve the issue, alas no.

You are not alone, I am facing the same/similar issue. I assigned a static IP to WD MyCloud drive.

I can connect to the drive for about 1 day or 2 days from PC and my Android phone (WD MyColoud), then I lost the connection. I had to go to my basement to unplug the power of the drive and re-plug it. After that it works for another 1 or 2 days and no connection again. It repeats.

I am waiting to see if anyone found a solution.

Been working fine for me, 3 drives across two different network locations. No issues.  Double check all your port settings, firewall, internet security softwares, etc… if you can try on different router.

Phone support said that there should be a new firmware by this Friday/  The disconnect is a known issue.

Hope is gets fixed, otherwise I will have to return it.  I like the unit when it works.

I dont think its a remote access fix, more for the other issue people have with the unit dropping off the network.  Don’t expect phone support to always be correct on release date.

I do take the release date with a grain of salt.  I have done the software thing

I hope that it fixes my problem of disappearing completely from the network, but also that other issues are addressed.