Working fine, then all of a sudden no remote access

Same again today.  09:40GMT working fine, 15:02GMT - no connection.

Now this could just be coincidence.  A few days ago I could not use a remote connection, so I get home and boot up the MAC and I can access the unit on the local LAN.  Having checked all the settings, I test remote access again and it is working.

So today I lost remote connection.  I get home and repeat the exercise, boot up the MAC, access the drive using Finder.  Check remote connection and its working.

It is almost as if the remote connection drops unless there has been some local activity.

Probably a red herring…

These things definitely have a mind of their own, as you’ll gather if you’ve read my thread about Relay connections. Could you try accessing the unit via SSH and set a continuous ping running to an external site? See if that keeps it alive longer than you’ve succeeded so far.

I tried the continuous ping on mine via SSH.  Still loses connect.

Well it was coincidence.  Tested waking up the unit on the LAN today, still no connection.   

Good luck guys.  I returned my unit.  Was not worth the pain.  I am now using a SFF PC as a backup machine.  Had this machine already with a 3TB USB 3.0 drive hanging off.  Added another 3 TB drive and now I have a 6TB server.  Serves iTunes and DLNA.  Getting FTP up for remote file access.  Not quite as slick as MyCloud (just typed “MyClud” may be more fitting!)  

Too bad though.  This could be a great unit.  Hope it shapes up.

Cheers

Mine is intermittent also.

I have to keep rebooting the device. Of course I only ever find out it is not working when I am at work trying to access via the iphone app or wd2go. FTP work though so I am guessing it something to do with the relay/direct connection thing. Need to find out what is going on when I get back home.

I also have problems with losing remote access to my WD My Cloud. It works for about 1 day, then I lose remote access from PC and phone. When this happens I still have local access to the device in the LAN. I have verified that my internet router forwards packets to the My Cloud device.

When typing my http://x.x.x.x:8080 or https://x.x.x.x:8443 in a remote web browser, the device answers with the following message:

"Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /UI on this server."

The WD My Cloud console reports:

"Cloud Access, Connection Status: Connected (Relay connection established) 

Port forwarding failed to connect on port 8080 and port 8443."

After reboot, remote access is restored, and will function for about 1 day, the WD My Cloud console reports:

"Cloud Access, Connection Status: Connected 

Port forwarding connection established."

My setup:

- Firmware v03.01.04-139

• static private IP address (no IP address conflict in LAN)

• manual Cloud Access Connection Options, using port 8080 and 8443

• static port forwarding on internet router (doesn’t support uPnP)

• official IP address on internet router has not changed at any time

I’m very disappointed that the WD My Cloud is not working as expected, as I had high expectations to this appliance after reading several reviews. It seems like a lot of WD’s customers are struggling with similar issues on their WD My Cloud devices, and WD should make it their highest priority to fix these issues if they want to satisfy their customers and remain competitive in the market for these appliances.

The message “Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access /UI on this server.” is correct.
It means that you reach WdMycloud from the outside, but MyCloud does not allow access to dashboard. (serious lack of Wd MyCloud !)
Also, i happen after a few days from last restart of mycloud (in totally random mode), that port forwarding goes wrong.
I think (and i hope :slight_smile: it’s a problem with the firmware.
I hope that WD fix this issues with next firmware.

So what the best way to fix this until there is new firmware. Do I have to disable ip6 via ssh. Will that work?

Just to update everyone.  This issue was escalated a few weeks back.  They are still investigating it.  If any staff members private message you, guys, please try and help them. They are having some problems replicating the issue.