WD My Cloud Unable to access device (0)

My remote access is intermittent.  Up for a few hours, then down, then it comes back up.

Post screenshots of your port forwardings on both the my cloud and the router if you can.

I’m having the same issue, although I don’t believe my issue has anything to do with port forwarding. UPnP is enabled on my router so it doesn’t even allow me to forward 80 and 443, and in the My Cloud admin it should “Connected” and “Port Fowarding Connection Established”. If I change the ports and forward the changed ports in my router, it says there is  relay connection and port forwarding failed and I am actually able to connect. Anyone have any ideas?

Mine seems to be unaccessible when the drive goes to sleep.  Access works fine remotely as long as the drive is active, but as soon as it goes into power saving mode, I can’t get to it over the internet.  The app gives me the error that the OP gave, trying from the wd2go website it says my device is offline.  How do you wake it up?

Local network access works fine, the drive wakes up and can be accessed, just not remotely.

Thanks for your post, ZapaHacks. English is not bad. Regarding the ports; I have these set and I Didn’t intentionally set them. I’m assuming the WD Cloud setup set them.

I was also having these issues, but I have a solution. I am going to assume that you have created an account, and you are able to connect to the MyCloud device over WIFI, but not via the mobile app over the internet.

1. On a Windows computer that is connected to the same network as the MyCloud device open a command prompt window, here is how:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/commandlinereference/f/open-command-prompt.htm

2. Type ipconfig /all then press enter.

3. Lots of information will appear, we need a few specific things: Subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS servers. Make a note of these numbers and set it aside for later, or just leave the command prompt window open for reference.

4. Open up a web browser

5. Type the address of your WD MyCloud device to bring up the dashboard (in my case 10.0.0.13).

6. On the top of the page select settings.

7. On the left hand side of the page select network.

8. Under network services change the network mode from DHCP to Static. You will be prompted to assign a static IP address, subnet mask, and DNS servers. The IP address needs to be the address of your WD Mycloud device that you entered to access the dashboard. The other information is what we looked up earlier. Don’t worry if you only have one or two DNS servers. Make sure you double check all the numbers before you click save.

9. Now we need to configure the router so that our static IP address is not accidentally assigned to another computer. Different routers have different processes to do this, so you may need to do some googling to find out how to configure yours. Generally you can do the following: open a browser and enter the number of the default gateway that we found earlier. Enter the login information (in many cases the user name will be admin and the password will be password, in some cases the password is left blank, and in some other cases the username is blank and the password is admin. If you can’t log in you should look for a sticker on the back of the router that tells you the default information, if you don’t have one contact the router manufacturer to find out what the correct login info is.)

10. Once you are logged in you are looking for DHCP settings for individual computers, again this varies from router to router so I can’t give you specifics for yours. Many routers show lists of connected devices and indicate if those devices are static or DHCP. You need to set the IP address of you WD MyCloud as a static IP. This will take that address out of your DHCP pool so that it will not be assigned accidentally to another device. Once you have made the change be sure to click save, or apply on the configuration page. Minimize the browser window, we will be coming back to it later.

11. Return to the browser window with your MyCloud dashboard. Select Settings on the top of the page.

12. Select general on the left side of the page.

13. Under cloud access ensure that remote access is set to On. 

14. Next to the remote access slider click on configure.

15. For connectivity select manual.

16. In the box for External port 1 (HTTP) type 8080

17. In the box for External port 2 (HTTPS) type 8443 then click save.

18. Now return to the browser with your router configuration page and look for something called port forwarding. It us usually under the Firewall heading. You need port forwarding, NOT port triggering. Some googling may again be required to find out where to configure this on your particular router.

19. Configure ports 8080 and 8443 to be forwarded to the IP address of your WD MyCloud. As an example here is what my setting looks like:

Service Name: Mycloud, Type: TCP&UDP, Start Port: 8080, End Port: 8080, Server IP: 10.0.0.13

Service Name: Mycloud2, Type:TCP&UDP, Start Port: 8443, End Port: 8443, Server IP: 10.0.0.13

1. Be sure to apply these settings, rebooting your router may be required.

2. Return to the MyCloud Dashboard.

3. At the top of the page select Cloud access. Under cloud access status the connection status should now read Connected (Relay connection established). Port forwarding failed to connect on port 8080 and port 8443. (you can ignore this. I think it is a bug, because for me the connection works just fine.)

4. On your mobile device disable WIFI so you are only using the 3g/4g connection.

5. Open the MyCloud app and attempt to connect.

6. Success! (hopefully)

7. If it still isn’t working try uninstalling the app from your mobile device, then redownload and reinstall it. Turn your WIFI back on and connect to the MyCloud Device (this registers your mobile device) then exit the app, disable WIFI, and try to connect again.

That’s how I got mine working. Hope it works for you guys too.

It’s baffling to me that nothing I try works at all. I am a network technician and I can tell you that this setup, while it may work is not ideal… This is not something that the average consumer wants to or may even know how to do and WD has not once responded to this issue even though it is clearly a widespread one. It is their fault. I’m sure a firmware upgrade could fix this or change the way the device connects for cloud access to mirror that of the WD MyBookLive as it does not suffer from the same issue. I have the older WD MyBookLive and I connect just fine to that through the same router with no configuration necessary but fail to connect from an outside network to the WD My Cloud every single time. I have verified that ports 80 and 443 are both open through my isp so it isn’t that either. It is a shame when a company like WD won’t even acknowledge a problem with their software and tell us that they are working to fix it.

WD REPS!! TALK TO US!! I’M ABOUT READY TO LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR MY NAS DRIVE NEEDS

Yes, and emailing them and calling them doesn’t change anything either because they don’t respond to emails and do not have knowledgeable tech support reps on the telephone. As a consumer who spends considerable amounts of money on their products they should be responsive and held accountable, if they want to ban me so be it. Take your fandom somehwere else please.

Everyone, we are coming out with a firmware update for the WD My Cloud within the next two weeks to fix many of these issues.  However, you may not have had the same root cause that created the issue in your circumstance.  If that turns out to be the case, please make sure that you have correctly set up your WD My Cloud on your network.  If you need help with this, there is a link below to a knowledgebase article for setting up the WD My Cloud. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10439

A new firmware update has been released.  Below are the fixes.  We will continue to work on other fixes and push them out as soon as we can.  Note: If you are still experiencing problems, please post them in the new firmware board. 

Issues Resolved:

• Resolved issue of dropped mobile cloud access connections after updating to firmware 03.03.01-156.
  • Resolved issue of a scheduled safepoint update that does not run automatically.
  • Resolved issue of device performance degradation caused by certain MPEG-4 (MOV/MP4) video formats used to record slow motion videos.

"A new firmware update has been released.  Below are the fixes.  We will continue to work on other fixes and push them out as soon as we can.  Note: If you are still experiencing problems, please post them in the new firmware board. "

I would post this on the new firmware board, except access to the post has been locked for some reason.

I still haven’t received an reply to help through my previous emails so I will post here (disappointed in the lack of  response from tech support).

I have had my drive for a little over a month now and I’m still fighting to make it run smoothly.  It constantly disconnects, and is extremely slow even though I have gigabit router with cat6 from start to finish.  I followed other threads on this forum to try and fix it, yet so far nothing has worked.  I thought maybe this firmware update (3.03.02) would fix this, but I was wrong.  Instead, after updating the firmware and letting it reboot, it now only has a solid white light on the front and is unreachable.  This product has considerably changed my opinion of WD, from which I have purchased numerous problem free drives from in the past, and I will most likely consider alternative companies for storage in the furture.

For those in the market to purchase a new drive, be warned this will leave you with lots of headaches and buyers regret.

What i did to fix this was turn off media serving for all folders.  I saw on a post on this forum that the Twonky Server cache gets overloaded when streaming files over 2GB and can cause a lockup on your remote access.  This worked for me, and it also fixed some of the “down time” i had with connecting remotely.  The only issue with this fix is that if you wanna use your drive as a media server on your home network, you have to go back into settings and turn it back on.

On the Dashboard

Under Settings, then Media, turn off DLNA Media Serving. 

Then under Shares, click on each folder and turn media serving off.  

This fixed it for me, because Twonky is only for home network media streaming, not for remote access.  When that Twonky server craps out, all access craps out, and makes you THINK you need new codes and you need to reset your device and you dont. 

Hope this helps.

My latest Firmware is version v03.03.02-165.  I can no longer access my MyCloud through the WD Mycloud Android app over 3G/4G.  LAN connection is fine.  Please help.  Everything is setup fine as I was previously able to access it.

remove and readd the app (dashboard > cloud access > generate code)

I already tried that 2 or 3 times. Anything else I can try?

Reinstall the mobile app? Do  you have another phone you can try it on?

Yes I’ve tried it on 2 phones. When you said to remove and readd the app (dashboard > cloud access > generate code. We’re you talking about the mobile app.

If you go into the Dashboard, in the Cloud Access tab, click on the username that has access. At the bottom you should see the email account and app. There is a little trash can you click on to delete.  After you delete, regenerate the code and add the My Cloud again by mobile app.

Yes I tried that. I deleted all the accounts and set them up again but still nothing. Ive tried lots of the things mentioned in these forums but nothing has worked for me. It seems there isn’t an actual fix. It’s just very buggy software. What works for some doesn’t work for others. Any other ideas

This is frankly ridiculous…

I bought My Cloud about three months ago… I set it all up, and had my win 7 laptop, my win8 laptop, my iphone all set up to access it.  They all worked on both the internal house LAN/wifi and remotely over remote-wifi/3G.

Now for some reason, none of my devices can access My Cloud unless they are on the internal LAN/wifi… as soon as I try to access remotely (via a remote wifi connection of via my mobile network I get an error saying the device cannot be accessed.

I have followed this whole thread and can confirm:

• I am on the latest firmware

• WD My Cloud desktop app says my cloud is connected (the IP address it lists is correct too)

• My Cloud dashboard says I have Internet Connectivity

• the Sharing tab says I am connected via port forwarding

• My BThome Hub 5 has upnp enabled

• I have tried deleting the mobile app and reactivating

• I have tried deleted My Cloud from the desktop app and re-adding

• My BTHomeHub is correctly set up to give the My Cloud a static IP address (and is the same address that had previously been working)

Up until now I have been extremely pleased with this drive, but for it to suddenly stop working for remote access when I have not made any changes is a little disturbing…

Can anyone shed any NEW light on this issue?

Daran.