WD Blue Mobile spins down too early (or not at all) and ignores Spindown Time settings

Hi there.

I recently purchased a WD Blue Mobile (WD10JPVX-22JC3T0) 1TB HDD for usage with my BananaPi (via SATA).

The BananaPi runs the operating system OpenMediaVault (Debian based Linux). The integration of the HDD was no problem and it works very well.

But there’s one problem I encountered:

After the last access it takes 3-10 seconds until the heads move to park position and the disk spins down - regardless of the Spindown Time I set up for the disk.

As the disk is accessed several times within an hour this heavily increases the Load_Cycle_Count  and the Start/Stop_Count for this drive.

To get a reasonable compromise between power consumption and hardware stress I wanted to have a Spindown Time around 10 - 30 minutes so I tried setting the values for Advanced Power Management (APM), Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM) and Spindown Time via OpenMediaVault - without any success so far.

My actual observings for different settings are like this:

• Every APM value >= 128 seems to keep the disk spinned up all the time (regardless of the Spindown Time value).

• Every APM value <= 127 makes the disk spin down 3-10 seconds after the head reached parking position and completely ignores the Spindown Time value.

• Setting APM to 255 (“Disabled” for HDDs with Notebook Bug) seems to dramatically heat up the disk and also makes more noise but doesn’t spin down, also.

Issuing a 

hdparm -S 120 /dev/sda

command results in hdparm reporting back:

/dev/sda:
setting standby to 120 (10 minutes)

But again the disk spins down 3-10 seconds after the head reaches parking position and completely ignores the standby time.

If anyone could explain to me why this happens and how I am able to get the drive set up the way I wanted it to be I’d be very thankful.

Best regards.

Hello and welcome to the WD Community.

Since we haven’t test the unit running that setup, I wont be able to provide you any feedback that might help you on this matter.

Let’s see if any of the users have tried that and can share some light for you and the rest of the community.

Hello and thank you for your response.

I know that obtaining a 100% precise copy of the setup might be hard to get but it should be reproductible in some ways using any kind of single board computer with SATA capabilities and any kind of Linux distribution that is based on Debian.

As I’ve seen in the meanwhile there’s a post made in the “Ideas” section here: http://community.wd.com/t5/Internal-Drive-Ideas/New-Firmware-required-WD-Blue-1TB-WD10JPVX/idi-p/743574

That thread was opened almost a year ago stating that not only single board boxes are affected by this bug but also Mac Mini and Intel Nuc.

What’s also (not) funny is the fact that I can’t register the HDD online in the Product Registering section of WD. When adding the serial number of the drive and filling out all required fileds it says:

Thank you for registering your products. 0 of 1 products have been registered. The following product was possibly not registered: WX... (Serial of the drive I mentioned)

When doing a “Check warranty” it states “NO LIMITED WARRANTY-C40”. The drives manufacturing date is stated to be around 25.12.2014! Does this mean I have no warranty to an almost brand new disk?

I’m really getting a little confused…

Hey root2

I have the same problem here, with the same HDD, the only difference is that I am using Windows.

Were you able to fix this?