WD Gold constantly spinning down and unable to save APM setting

I’ve purchased a new WD Gold 2TB disk (WD2005FBYZ).
The disk spins down and then spins up once in every several minutes. This is bad due to extended wear of the heads during unparking/parking, the motor and and the disk overall. The other problem is the long access time while it spins up.
The culprit is the APM setting which defaults to something like 90 and makes the disk to save power and behave as described.
When I set the APM setting to 254 or disable APM - no more spindowns. I tried CrystalDiskInfo and HDDScan to set the value.
But after powering down or entering/returning from suspend mode, the APM setting resets to the default value of 90! The spindowns continue!
This has nothing to do with the wdidle3 tool as the heads are not being parked on idling. Wdidle3 tool says the parking timer is off.
The problem is only with the APM.
The APM setting never saves when the disk loses power.

Is that a normal behavior? May it be a firmware bug? Should I go to warranty? Are all the WD Gold disks the same?

Can anything be done on the hardware level to prevent this nasty spindowns?

1 Like

I have the same problem, the drive is spinning down continually. But I don’t want it. It’s annoying lagging the pc while the harddrive is restarting. It’s not good to the drive btw, continually heating up, cooling down.