WD didn’t change the SSH user name for the first gen v4.x My Cloud. the user login via SSH is:
root on the v04.05.00-342 firmware. I just checked mine and
root still works.
If you have forgotten the correct password then try turning off the SSH setting in the My Cloud Dashboard, then re-enabling it and see if that resets the default SSH password back to:
welc0me One will be prompted to change the default SSH password to another password upon first SSH login (when using Putty or similar).
Only the second gen v2.x had the SSH login changed from root to
sshd. For what ever reason WD hasn’t fixed or updated the various Knowledgebase articles on My Cloud SSH to make the distinction clear.
Edit to add: If resetting the SSH password to default (
welc0me) by turning the option off then back on in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network doesn’t work. One may have to perform a 40 second reset via the reset button on the back of the My Cloud to reset the SSH password.
Option B: 40 Second Reset (Reset with Power Off)
The 40 Second Reset, also known as System Only Restore, will reset the following:
- Admin User Name (default = “admin”)
- Admin Password (No password by default)
- Device Name (default = “WDMyCloud”)
- SSH (Secure Shell) on Firmware 04.xx.xx-xxx, User Name and Password (default = “root” and “welc0me”)
- SSH (Secure Shell) on Firmware 2.xx.xxx, User Name and Password (default = “root” no default password, new password enforced)
- Remove all Users except Admin
- All Share permissions (default = Public)
- Automatic Firmware Update (default = off)
- Network Mode (default = DHCP)
- Remove all Alerts
mycloud.com account association (default = not configured)
- Mobile app account association (default = not configured)
- WD Sync association (default = not configured)
- Backup jobs (default = not configured)
- Safepoint jobs (default = not configured)
To execute the 40 Second Reset :
- Power down the device and remove the power cord from the device
- Using a paperclip or narrow tipped pen, press and hold the reset button
- While continuing to hold the reset button, reconnect the power cord to the device and continue to hold the reset button for at least 40 seconds
- After releasing the reset button the device will reboot
Note: This process may take upwards of 15 minutes. Please wait until the Power LED is solid blue, indicating the device is ready to use.