SSH is not working, it is not accepting the password

Hi Bennor,

I have not forgotten my password. It is sickening to learn WD password storing and encryption system that did not recognise any special characters such as !@#$%^&* etc in the password (or remapping the special characters and storing it as something else). All my passwords are stored in a password manager and I was surprised I cannot get into my WDMyCloud again after changing the password to have those special characters. Really wasted a lot of time reconfiguring my cloud access and debugging this mess.

Kien

I too use a password manager but it doesn’t interact with the Putty SSH application. I have to manually type in the SSH password. I likewise cannot (apparently) manually paste in a password using Putty when the password prompt appears. I have to manually type the password in. Not sure if a limitation of Linux password prompt or something with SSH/Putty.

On my first gen v4.x single bay My Cloud I do not have a problem using some special characters in either the SSH password or the Dashboard User password. For example as a test, the password (generated by the password manager program): *R$lae^/rw worked for both the SSH password and as a User password.

On a side note for anyone reading this discussion. One can change the root password after SSH login by typing passwd in the command prompt.

I just ran a test on my gen2 system. I typed my password in a notepad window and then selected the password and did a ctrl-x. I then used putty to access my Gen2. I type the root username. Then did a right click on my mouse. Nothing showed up on the screen. But when I hit enter it logged me in.
If you grep putty paste there are a few way to paste.

Not sure why right clicking with the mouse wasn’t working previously but is today. Strange. In any case that’s a side issue. LOL To the issue the OP was having, at least on my first gen, I can use passwords (both user passwords and SSH password) with special characters.

I cannot ssh into mycloud. I tried disabling/enabling ssh in settings. Subsequently in a linux terminal I tried “ssh -l root 192.168.x.x” and “ssh -l sshd 192.168.x.x” and “ssh 192.168.x.x” all with password “welc0me”. No joy.
I can log in to the web-based WD control panel with my name and password. But none of that works for ssh. HELP! please. A

Ok, apparently instead of the -L (lowercase) switch in the ssh cmd, I see from this thread that “ssh root@192.168.1.76” is the correct way. Thanks. A