Second my cloud, still no go

I bought a MyCloud 4TB drive a couple months ago. I never could get it to work, so back it went to WD. I just received the replacement, and though it started out better, it’s not working out either. Here’s what’s going on:

• Setup went relatively smoothly. I was consistently able to access the dashboard and the drive.
  • Began backing up 2 TB of photos to the drive. It took *three* days!!! Absolutely ridiculous. What was it doing???
  • After the backup was complete, the MyCloud could no longer be accessed through the dashboard. Attempts to access the dashboard always result in “this page not available” errors. Same result in three different browsers and through numerous reboots.
  • WD’s MyCloud app can’t access the drive either.
  • The drive is continually doing some sort of input output routine. I cannot determine what it is.
  • there is no connection to the drive by any type of “cloud”; in essence it’s just a fancy box for an external 4TB drive. NOT what I wanted.

I’m running a standard Dell Windows 7 setup with a Netgear 4300 router. I’m convinced it’s the my cloud drives because I have an old 2 terabyte MyBook that works fine. (And yes, I’ve made sure there are no conflicts and even attempted to get the mycloud to work with the my book uninstalled: no dice.)

I bought the 4 TB because I needed more storage space. Now I wish I’d never heard of WD. 

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks,

EdB

Read this
http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/before-you-pack-up-your-WD-and-return-it-let-s-talk-about/m-p/683307/highlight/true#M7901

This issue is not solved; dubie’s reply explained the reason for the slow backup (thanks, dubie) but nothing has changed with the drive falling off the network and being unable to be seen by the WD app or the Dashboard accessed by a browser. Further, the drive’s behavior is maddenly inconsistent.

• After reboot, the MyCloud can no longer be accessed through the dashboard. Attempts to access the dashboard always result in “this page not available” error with “ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED” in greyed text. Same result in three different browsers and through numerous reboots.
  • The WD MyCloud app sees the drive, but when I click “Connect” I get “Failed to connect to device” message.
  • When I go to Network in Windows Explorer, sometimes it shows the MyCloud, sometimes it doesn’t.
  • If Network does show the MyCloud, sometimes clicking on it will open a Window showing the MyCloud contents, but other times clicking on it does nothing, not even an error message.

i’m running a standard Dell Windows 7/64 setup with a Netgear 4300 router.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks,

EdB

Have you set a fixed IP address for the MyCloud?

You need to log into your router and set up a reserved IP address for the MyCloud. This should prevent it disappearing from your network. The IP address that you choose should be outside the range of the DHCP server of the router.

Firstly, login to your WDMC dashboard. Under Settings - Network - select Network Mode - DHCP.

Next login to your router dashboard. Under LAN settings look for the DHCP pool settings. The DHCP start / end range is probably set to something like192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255 (I’m not sure about your router). Set the end IP address to 192.168.1.199. Then manually reserve an IP address above 192.168.1.200 for the WDMC, e.g. 192.168.1.201. You will need to specify the MAC address of the WDMC in the router interface so that the router knows which device to assign the IP address.

1 Like

What dubie mentioned above is excellent advice and is highly recommened. Also I have found a reboot of the My Cloud does not solve this issue, not always. Sometimes a “Power On 40 Second Reboot” is needed (See user manual … I think it is page 119-120). This resets the My Cloud share access, passwords, etc. to the default condition when you purchased the My Cloud. No data or created share are deleted. This only resets the My Cloud to a default condition.

1 Like

EdB

I think the real issue it the photo indexing and thumbnail process, With 2TB of photos it will take a long time, probably several days to finish. It should settle down and work correctly when this is done. Don’t keep rebooting, just let it set.

once this is done adding moderate amounts shouldn’t be an issue

the mycloud has extreamly limited resources and it is easy to make it appear that it is hung but I doubt if it is

1 Like

Setting a static IP seems to be the major part of the fix; thanks for the instructions, dubie. A lot of reboots (computer, WDMC, router) were necessary (thx, SectorGZ) to get everything to talk to each other, but it looks like success. And, now that I can see the Dashboard, it’s clear the building of the index and thumbnails is what’s slowing the WDMC now (thx larryg0). 

Here’s hoping I can now forget about the cloud and get on with work!

EdB