OS3 My Cloud WD Remote Access No Longer Available After April 15, 2022

Can someone please write an iOS app to perform photo backups locally? Pretty discouraging that WD wouldn’t allow this in the My Cloud OS 3 app since neither the app nor device need to connect outside the local network. Seems there would be a workaround for it.

@LPaddies
Have you checked the Apple app store? Seems like there are a few apps already that can backup from iOS to an NAS. Here are two:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photo-backup-expert/id1493754664
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photosync-transfer-photos/id415850124

1 Like

@bennor Good call! I spent some time looking at a handful of them. They all seem to want a monthly fee or hefty one-time cost. I’m optimistic that WD will just reject connections to their environment, but the app will still be able to communicate locally to our devices. They will have done their due diligence.

That’s one of the downsides to Apples closed ecosystem (walled in garden). There are probably free apps, like maybe this one, but one has to dig for them. On Android, there are a number of free file manager apps.

Obvious workaround is to WD termination of remote access using their system is setup one’s own VPN connection to the remote network containing the My Cloud"

Can you please point me to an easy for dummies on how to do this?

There are numerous “How To” guides out there one can find using any search engine. Seriously just do a internet search with your favorite internet search engine. Use search terms like; “how to setup your own vpn server” or “how to setup openvpn”.

Examples:

If one has an Asus router:
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1008713/

If one has a Raspberry Pi device around:

Thanks Bennor
What about the other method? FTP? Is there a guide for that?

Also I remember one of the biggest differences between my UltraEx and a MCHome was that a Mycloud Home was not a NAS because you absolutely needed to go through mycloud servers to get your files whereas ExUltra was a true NAS cause you can get your files directly on your network. My question is if I simply press the upgrade button to go to OS5, will that transform my ExUltra to a MyCloud Home and not be a true NAS anymore?

I also found an app on my iPhone (FE Explorer) which allows FTP but it makes me put in numbers and I have no clue what to put in

Processing: 9CC1DBAB-9280-426B-885D-C6CE88E047DB.png…

FTP is an insecure method of file transfer. One can use their favorite search engine to find more information explaining exactly how and why FTP is insecure. And likewise one can find numerous online guides on how to use FTP by searching the internet. If one searches the WD Knowledge Base (link at top of page) one will find the following article:

How To Configure FTP Server Access on a My Cloud
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4749

No, upgrading to OS5 does not “transform” a My Cloud into a My Cloud Home device. The My Cloud Home device is a completely different device that uses an entirely different operating system than the My Cloud line of devices. The My Cloud Home does not use OS3 or OS5.

Typically FTP programs will want to know the IP address of the device you are connecting to. For local network access, that would be the IP address of the My Cloud. For remote access, that would be the IP address of your broadband connection the My Cloud resides on. The FTP program may also ask for the “port” number too which is usually the default FTP port 21.

Thanks for the info!
I think I’m taking the blue pill and update
Are the indexing horror stories still prevalent?

See the OS5 subforum where you can determine for yourself if its still prevalent before you upgrade.

And see the WD Knowledge Base (link at top of page) for additional help with any OS5 issues including the following two articles on indexing.

My Cloud OS 5 Cloud Access Content Indexing FAQ

Best Practice for My Cloud OS 5 Cloud Access and Indexing

If anyone can verify the $5 Pro version you linked to can do Photo backups automatically I may spring for it, assuming the My Cloud app really can’t do it locally.

Thankfully, with @Bennor 's advice (kudos!) from this thread and a few other threads, combined with the “canned” “technical support” I have received from both WD’s chat as well as phone, I went to a competitor whose chat support was flawless. While I’m sure at some point years from now that device bay housing I just purchased may become obsolete and the drives I purchased to slot inside it will die, the fact that their chat support representative even gave me advice on how to salvage the perfectly running drive inside the MyCloud casing I currently have, I was sold and the steps make sense and are correct. For WD to also restrict customers on which “upgrade” device they can use the 20% coupon based on their current device, is petty. A 20% coupon should be eligible to use for any purchase on WD’s site, not just the devices they want you to purchase, some of which are 2-3x’s the cost of the device we originally bought. To box me in in that way as well is poor form too.

I’m POSITIVE (literally) there are law firms licking their chops for class action litigation of all types Not referring to WD, specifically I’m sure we shall see if WD has done anything The Attorney General Office of Consumer Affairs deems claim worthy…

Yes, unfortunately, the only people who profit from these class action lawsuits are the lawyers. The plaintiffs usually get about 1 cent on the dollar!

I once got an impressive (80% plus) from a class action suit related to a consumer device. . . .I was AMAZED.

I can’t get excited about a losing remote support on a consumer device that is 5+ years old.
How long do you expect these products to last?

Plus. . .a primary use case for these devices is local storage. That functionality still (technically) works (I say technically because of cyber issues).

Now. . .don’t confuse lack of interest in “pursuing my rights” as endorsing company policy and direction; and don’t confuse it with a desire to do more business with this company.

I wrote a blog post about the My Cloud situation and what you can do about it.
TLDR; With a VPN and some apps you can continue using it safely.
Post 18. WD My Cloud first generation reaches End of Life – What can you do about it? – Nerdy Projects / Nerdprojekte (wordpress.com)

WD offered me a RMA on the MyCloud 6TB unit that was 5 years out of date when supplied.and replaced it with a MyCloud Home unit.

What a step BACKWARDS !!

MyCloud Home seems to lack features and the software is not at all intuitive.

just out of curiosity, where did you buy a new 5 year old MyCloud?

I purchased the MyCloud direct from WD in December 2020, thinking it was the same model as I had owned for 3 years, but it turned out it was the previous generation. When the call came to upgrade to OS5 I realized the difference and complained.

Wow, that’s totally unacceptable, given that the first gen model was over 5 years old when you bought it. The MyCloud home isn’t a functional replacement for the single drive MyCloud.