OS3 My Cloud WD Remote Access No Longer Available After April 15, 2022

Ah yes… I meant EX2 :slight_smile:

I received this from WD support (I don’t think they would mind me posting this here as it impacts many users):

My question: After the change in April, will the MyCloudOS3 app for iPhone & iPad still allow me to connect ON MY LOCAL NETWORK to my WdMycloud (that is also on the same LOCAL NETWORK).

Answer: Please allow me to inform you that you would be able to access the device locally and not on the remote network both on the computer as well as you can access the mobile app on the iPhone or iPad.

Maybe there is some good news there, but we will see what actually happens in April.

If the OS3 My Cloud app for iOS or Android stops working for local network access come next April when WD terminates OS3 support one can always fall back to using other file manager apps from the mobile device’s app store. One may loose some ease of access features like automatic mobile device photo backup. Personally I don’t use WD’s mobile apps for local network access anyway, I use other non WD file manager apps on Android that allow for local network access to the local network My Cloud.

So I personally like the VPN option,

HOWEVER, on my ASUS routers, if I block WAN access to a NAS, it blocks not only access from the internet, but also access from different subnets WITHIN the same network. Which neuters the VPN, since the VPN devices are assigned in a different subnet than the main network addresses.

I have not quite figured out a way around this limitation just yet.

Hi,
I’m new to all this but I have a general question.
Today I hav a normal external disc hooked up to my WD and I can access it through MyCloud.

If the OS3 unit will work as a normal external piece, will it be possible to hook my old OS3 unit to a new NAS, say Synology, and access it remotely via the new NAS?

1 Like

The My Cloud is a network attached storage device not a external USB hard drive. You cannot connect the USB port on the My Cloud to another NAS. If one no longer wishes to use the My Cloud as a network attached storage device they have some options. Backup the data on the My Cloud and then remove the My Cloud hard drive from it’s enclosure and install it into a empty bay on a multi bay NAS device, or put the extracted hard drive into a USB docking station, or external USB enclosure, and connect that to a new NAS device. There are various other options but that are two ways to use the My Cloud disk on another NAS device.

I have a MyCloud 3TB from 2017 which has already updated to OS 5 - thats fine !!
BUT
I also purchased a MyCloud 6TB from WD in Dec 2020 !!! (It is still in Warranty)
But I am now being told it is OBSOLETE !!
Some sort of SHARP PRACTICE ???

Selling an item they knew would be OBSOLETE in less than a year ??

The Gen1 MyClouds have been out of production for years. . .

. . .what firmware is the unit running?

Or are you just reading the spam email that WD sent to every user in their database?

Did you buy a My Cloud or My Cloud Home? The My Cloud Home line is different than the My Cloud line of devices and is not affected by the OS3 shutdown. What firmware are you running on the one you recently bought?

The first gen (v4.x firmware) single bay My Cloud ended production over five years ago (2016). The second generation single bay My Cloud (v2.x firmware) CAN be updated to OS5 firmware.

I bought a “re-certified” MyCloud 6T unit direct from WD in Dec 2020 !!

Current Firmware 04.05.00-353

I realise NOW that it was over 4 years OLD !!

At the time I already had a 3TB MyCloud purchased in 2017 - and that one HAS now upgraded to OS 5.

I assumed v04 firmware was MORE modern than the v02 firmware on my 3TB (how wrong can you be)

So it turns out WD were selling an OBSOLETE product in Dec 2020 (I have the Invoice to prove it) !!

I bought a “re-certified” MyCloud 6T unit direct from WD in Dec 2020 !!

Current Firmware 04.05.00-353

I realise NOW that it was over 4 years OLD !!

At the time I already had a 3TB MyCloud purchased in 2017 - and that one HAS now upgraded to OS 5.

I assumed v04 firmware was MORE modern than the v02 firmware on my 3TB (how wrong can you be)

So it turns out WD were selling an OBSOLETE product in Dec 2020 (I have the Invoice to prove it) !!

I would find something wrong and start a RMA return.

I doubt they have any parts for this antique - so maybe you will get lucky and get something better.

But I think the only single bay devices are in the “home” line. Those devices (from what I read) are a desert feature-wise; and I would not put one on my network.

Recommendation: bite the bullet; get a DS220+ With a pair of 4TB ironwolf drives in JBOD configuration and don’t look back. It will run a few bucks ($500?) but you won’t regret it.

Please forgive my lack of tech knowledge. I’m just learning of the shut down of OS3 remote access

So I’ll need to buy a new personal cloud device. How will I know if the WD/Amazon/Retail Store one I buy is new stock that supports the new OS5 And not an older model ?

How do I transfer the 18,000+ songs & files in my current one to the new one?

Appreciate any advice :slight_smile:

If you do not use or need remote access, the existing OS3 My Cloud will continue to operate as it does now when WD shuts down OS3 support next April. WD has stated local network access won’t be affected. One has the option of setting up their own methods of remote access (FTP, VPN, etc.) to regain some of the remote access functionality to one’s OS3 My Cloud that WD is terminating with the OS3 shutdown.

If you have decided to buy a new network attached storage device, why limit yourself to WD? There are a number of other manufacturers out there (Synology, Qnap, etc.) in addition to WD. You should compare the various NAS device options from various manufacturers and make an informed decision on which one best fits your needs and that you can afford.

If you want to buy a WD product then look at those WD devices that currently support OS5 and buy one of them. (My Cloud OS 5: Firmware Availability and Supported Devices)

A reminder, this is what WD says:
My Cloud OS3 End of Service

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: Once the services have been shut down, you will still be able to access the device on a local network. However, access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app will not be possible. Email notifications also won’t be delivered. Devices that have auto-update enabled will receive a final firmware update to disable remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Then, support will end and you’ll have to use the local network to access the device.

The same way you copied files to the My Cloud in the first place. You can drag and drop files using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder from one NAS to another. Or with certain NAS devices you can initiate a copy or rsync from the SSH command line to copy files from one NAS to another. Or if a NAS supports it one can use it’s included features or options to copy or backup files to another NAS or location. In the case of a single bay My Cloud, one could even remove the My Cloud hard drive from it’s enclosure and attach it to a USB to SATA adapter, then connect that adapter to their computer (if running Linux or using a third party Linux driver) and copy the files from the hard drive to the NAS device that way.

Can someone clarify by local network access still being available what this means - does it mean I can still access the files so long as my computer and WD Cloud are on the same router (home network), or will I need to use a wired / physical connection

It means you can still access the My Cloud within your home, on your local network when WD terminates OS3 support.

Generally and in very simple terms a local area network or LAN is the network INSIDE your home (or business) that your My Cloud is connected to. It encompasses all devices that are either wired (ethernet) or wireless (wifi); computer, My Cloud, mobile devices, wifi devices, IoT devices, wireless printers, etc. that can connect to that local network. Typically one has a “router” that is the focal point for that local network to which the My Cloud is connected to. That router serves as the gateway and firewall between your local network and the internet (assuming your router is connected to broadband service). Generally everything on that local network should still be able to access the My Cloud after WD terminates OS3 support next April.

A very basic general graphical representation of what a LAN is (think of the My Cloud as the “server” in that image):

A reminder, this is what WD says:
My Cloud OS3 End of Service

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: Once the services have been shut down, you will still be able to access the device on a local network. However, access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app will not be possible. Email notifications also won’t be delivered. Devices that have auto-update enabled will receive a final firmware update to disable remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Then, support will end and you’ll have to use the local network to access the device.

Thank you.

If its still under warranty and its (at least) a five year old device that they planning on obsoleting soon, then contact WD and tell them it needs to be replaced with something that will function as a fully functioning NAS!

I am already in discussion with WD and have been promised a response within 5 days. The agent expressed surprise that I had been supplied an obsolete MyCloud in Dec 2020.

A 20% discount on older cloud devices to purchase a newer model is the best I have seen in direct mail from WD. While I do thank them for at lease offering – I waited for the thanksgiving and Xmas sales.

I also this week updated my three PR4100 and two EX2 ultra systems to OS5 with no problems.

By waiting this long I think I skipped 10 firmware updates over the last year.

I now have NO OS3 NAS units so I can not longer be first to test the LAST 0S3 firmware