OS3 My Cloud WD Remote Access No Longer Available After April 15, 2022

A reminder, this is what WD says:
My Cloud OS3 End of Service

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: Once the services have been shut down, you will still be able to access the device on a local network. However, access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app will not be possible. Email notifications also won’t be delivered. Devices that have auto-update enabled will receive a final firmware update to disable remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Then, support will end and you’ll have to use the local network to access the device.

I disabled remote access to my WDMycloud device in the UI:

Settings / General / Cloud Access → Remote Access = OFF

…but I can still access files using the MyCloud OS3 app when my phone is connected to my local WiFi. So I wonder how will this be different when WD officially shuts down remote access, and why I would lose this capability?

(Note: I’ve also disabled auto-firmware-updates!)

I’m not taking up WD on their “generous” 20% offer and have since purchased a Synology DS220+ NAS which is more complex to set up but offers better security (from what I understand) and more features that I’m enjoying.

It all depends on how the My Cloud app is authenticating and accessing the My Cloud. If one signs into MyCloud.com using the OS3 My Cloud mobile app then they’ll likely loose that method of access when WD terminates OS3 support in April. It remains to be seen if the local network access option (without MyCloud.com login) where one enters a My Cloud Dashboard generated 3 digit mobile code will even work for local network access once WD shuts down their end of the remote access services.

All good points, thanks @Bennor.

I guess we have to wait and see.

My guess is that the OS3 My Cloud app relies on the My Cloud unit to have internet access (to WD). A code cannot be generated on the Cloud Access Dashboard page for the user without internet access (at least for me). Further the OS3 My Cloud app won’t log into a local network My Cloud when using the manual option where the device is found on the local network and one enters a user name and password. It generates an error stating the My Cloud needs internet access. So in the end it would appear the app would be useless once WD terminates remote access in April and or one blocks internet access to their My Cloud at the network firewall as an added measure of security.

One can always use third party file manager apps on their mobile device which will allow basic local network access to their My Cloud device. Those apps likely won’t have the mobile backup feature(s) the OS3 My Cloud app has.

1 Like

Screw this. I am going to buy the biggest NAS from another manufacturer I can afford and transfer all my data to it. Then I am going to use my WD products for target practice.

2 Likes

WD will lose all my business, including buying their drives.

1 Like

Hi Guys,
I have one of the old Mycloud devices. It has been great and I have used it a lot. Just yesterday I was not able to open it using WDAccess->PeterCloudDrive->Open.

I did not give it much thought. I figured it would open after I rebooted my PC today. But I can’t open it. And I can’t connect to it using any of my VMs that used to connect to it.

I thought that the cloud support was just that devices would no longer be accessible via cloud.

I had intended that I would still have access to the device on my LAN and I moved a lot of backup materials to it.

Am I mistaken? Will the old MyCloud devices not be accessible at all?

And if so? How to I get access to it to copy all the materials off it to another backup drive?

Thanks

Peter

What color is the front LED?
Can you see the My Cloud in Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder from a computer on the same local network as the My Cloud? Per WD:

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: Once the services have been shut down, you will still be able to access the device on a local network. However, access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app will not be possible. Email notifications also won’t be delivered. Devices that have auto-update enabled will receive a final firmware update to disable remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Then, support will end and you’ll have to use the local network to access the device.

Everybody needs a money, since you paid for your first WD device you became useless for them. so this is a trick. Microsoft stopped support Windows7 and soon will stop support Windows10 - after that you have to buy new expensive PC. because all previous will not supported by Windows11. In my case I will open WD and will take out 2x3TB HDD format them and put them in my PC.

EDIT:

I posted this in wrong forum.

I Bough Mycloud home because I could play my music library on Sonos via services and the Plex to play my Vids.

First of all, it was horrible experience for a few years with BUGS and BUGS.
Last year were the first stable release that my sonos started to work OK.

And now it will discontinue April 2022.

You kidding me? I can’t even use it to watch or listen to music after 4-5 years? thats 200 dollar wast.

NEVER WD again if they terminate OS3 for nothing

Do you have a My Cloud or My Cloud Home? The My Cloud Home is a completely different device than a My Cloud device. The My Cloud Home does not use OS3, and is not affected by the OS3 End of Support.

These are the only My Cloud devices that cannot be updated to OS5:
My Cloud (P/N: WDBCTLxxxxxxx-00)
My Cloud Mirror
My Cloud EX2
My Cloud EX4

https://www.westerndigital.com/support/software/my-cloud-os/os3/os3-eos

OK, maybe I took things ahead

Thou my Timemachine backup stopped and I had to follow the OS3 guid to fix the afs eol .

Next I cannot longer see my private folders via SMB connection (running old osx 10.13 High Sierra) only Public

The http://mycloud.local doesn’t work (getting internal server error msg).

It’s a big mess up, the OSX WD app no longer maps my folders in Finder. Am I not on OS3?

Why are these things terminating then?

Again, what specific device do you have? A My Cloud or a My Cloud Home they are NOT the same.

The My Cloud Home does not have a “Dashboard” page like the My Cloud line has.

My Cloud devices look like those at this link:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/125

The My Cloud Home and Home Duo look those at this link:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/134

Thanks for helping me out. I got the second the “My Cloud home”
Ok, so its a completely other questions then. I beg pardon for the miss.

Now I have to find out right topic on Home why the private folders are not longer accessible.

Thank u

See the subforum for My Cloud Home devices:
https://community.wd.com/c/home-cloud-storage/228

See the Knowledge Base, link and search field at the top of the page, where you can find and search for My Cloud Home support articles.

And see this Knowledge Base Article for the My Cloud Home:

My Cloud Home Online User Guide and Solutions
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21182

1 Like

What an absolute joke.

You’ve lost me as personal customer (which you probably wouldn’t care about).

And you’ve also lost me and my company as a business customer (which you definitely would). Lucky I learned about this poor business tactic before we started ordering thousands of NAS storage devices for scalability systems (repeat business).

Will also be advising associates away from your devices, as if you’ve done this once, it is almost a certainty that you will do it again.

Hello Synology, I don’t believe we’ve met (twinkle in eyes).

Are you able to get on through your home wireless? I was fine with not having remote app access anymore, but I can’t get on with my laptop on my home wireless network. I don’t have a cat5 port on my laptop so I can’t even hardwire it to get my stuff off. Any suggestions?

Can you laptop access the local network My Cloud Dashboard with a web browser?

How to Access the Dashboard on a My Cloud (single bay) Device
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15104

If you are using Windows make sure Network Profile is set to Private. And make sure SMB1.0 is enabled in Windows.

How to Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10 and 11
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4155

One uses Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder to access their local network My Cloud.

One can map a Share as well.

How to Map a My Cloud or NAS Device on Windows
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9323

How To Map a My Cloud or NAS Device on macOS
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24148

Other troubleshooting steps include disabling any third party security software on the laptop. Check that all devices are in the same IP address range and are using the same workgroup name.

#WDUserRewards

Yes I’m still able to access it as a shared drive. I didn’t update to the latest firmware also.

The only thing that would persuade WD to update Mycloud OS3 to restore remote access, would be if the decision hampered sales of newer models. Not purchasing a newer device from WD will have less effect than unflattering product reviews describing the company’s products as brand-name orphans no more valuable than no-name products - support for both types vanishes after a few years. Why pay more to throw out a box with a brand name? The trash can can’t read. Etc.

It’s not unreasonable to observe that MyCloud OS5 was customized for the processors used in a specific generation of boxes. It’s almost as old as MyCloud OS3. In a year or two WD will push out updated boxes with new processor chips, quietly drop support for everything being sold today, and then cut off remote access for OS5 just like it’s predecessors.

The MyCloud customizations to the underlying open source OS to support remote access were always trivial, and remain so. The decision to burn the installed customer base is simply a cultural reflex. It’s not just west coast arrogance, it’s also an industry that’s still in denial that its growth era ended more than a decade ago. When unit sales were growing 30% or more per year, customers from 5 years ago were a tiny fraction of this years customers. Assigning limited resources to attract new customers fueled growth, keeping the existing customers happy didn’t fuel growth. Limited resources are only assigned to updates then it’s necessary to avoid giving the brand a bad reputation. The industry isn’t growing anymore, most customers are replacing a previous product, but insular cultures are resistant to change, so it’s simpler to frame the issue in a way that will be understood.