(Not so Smart)ware

I have a 6TB MyCloud drive. Up until recently, I was using Smartware and it was working flawlessly. Now it can’t see any backup target except Dropbox. I can see the drive and previous Smartware backups via a Chrome browser. I can see it with Windows Explorer. I can access my music with my phone. I can tell my dog to find the Mycloud drive and he’ll walk over to it and bark. Everthing can see the drive except the "Smart"ware app, which is what I need to do a backup. I also tried using WD Backup and it too can only see Dropbox. This makes no sense to me.

I have tried a static IP as well as DHCP. Neither will work.

Hello,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

Yes, and when I installed the new version I lost the option of selecting Dropbox as a target. That doesn’t really bother me, because buying a MyCloud device was to eliminate the need to pay for outside cloud services.

You may want to look at this, it tells of the changes in the latest SmartWare update.

That accounts for why Dropbox is no longer a target option. However, now I have NO target options available to me.

I just don’t get how everything can see the drive, but not the backup software designed to use it.

Thanks for that link. At least that clears up one thing.

Have you tried asking support yet?

The drive is no longer under warranty, so I thought this might be a good place to start.