New Firmware?

So, I have had similar experiences.  Saying that a new update was available but when I click update it says already up to date.

It showed my last update in July I think.

I have a new problem now where I go to my dashboard and its asking me to register again, even though it takes my username and password.

I am a bit freaked out as I can access the shares I created there via Windows File Explorer but it is really unresponsive and slow.

I am afraid if I continue the registration process again it may wipe my NAS completely.  Additionally, programs I have set to access the shares I created say they cannot find the root folder.

Any help appreciated!

**Update**

So I started disabling a few network utilties and I have seen some improvements in access and response times… not much but more workable than earlier.

That said, I was able to get my WD Smartdrive utility to respond as well. and its showing that it downloaded and installed a firmware update on Sept. 23rd at 3 AM.  With Firmware Update Successful message stating completed to %1 at 3:07 AM.  

I guess my concern is, what does %1 mean?  The message states successful but updated to %1.  Also, has anyone else had to go through the registration process again after this last firmware update?  What happened when you did?  As I stated earlier, the Dashboard is coming up (with white background instead of black now), and I am able to enter my credentials… but then it takes me through picking a language, accepting the agreement, and then asking for my registration details.

**Update 2**

So after messing around a bit more without completing the registration process initiated from the dashboard I was able to disable a couple of other things that seems to have improved my situation.  

The first was that I found I could access Twonky via the webbrowser.  Although I never set up Twonky previously, it apparently was performing scans for media and constantly updating its WDMC database files and directories.  This was a huge CPU and memory drain.  I was able to disable all of these “features” and speed up accces to the drives.

I had previously configured Jumbo frames per the necessary calculations so I don’t think that was the cause of any issues.

I can not access the drives somewhat better than before, response times have improved and I have yet to get a windows explorer message saying its not responding.

I’ve put in a ticket with WD support, I guess I need to know what happens if I complete the registration process in order to access the dashboard.  I have tried to access the EX4 via SSH but to no avail (I think it was disabled by a firmware update).  At least then if I could access the root I might be able to see what’s going on… currently flying blind without being able to use the dashboard or command line.

My main concern is that my raid configuration will disappear and I’ll be left with drives holding data I can’t access.

Ever since the latest upgrade, the HDD won’t go to sleep. This upgrade is horrible thus far.

Hi, we have passed this along to support.

I have two 4TB Mycloud

One of them ( about 3 moths old) was just updated to the v04.04.00-307 yesterday

It has a new “White” user interface,

The other is brand new from Best Buy, 5 days ago.

It updated this morning to v04.01.04-422

I just cant understand WD on this …

Their firmware update is hard to track, and this is making me question my purchase.

How can you tell when you purchase a new product if it WILL be updatable to OS 3?

Did Best Buy sold me an old stock that is not upgradable?

I guess if this is the case, this drive is going right back!

there all update-able no worries… you did not buy old stock. if you buy an iPhone 6 from BB it will come with the old firmware/OS

I got it to update with the local file update from the link below

http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-040400-303-20150902.deb

I was able to update it, and now I get version v04.04.00-303

The other one was update online to v04.04.00-307

I will wait and see if it changed in a day or two . Maybe WD prevend us from updating more then once per day IDK

The version I had in it was pretty old, so I imagine Best Buy has old stock or something.

I also purchased two 4TB MyBook to make them into safe point.

One of the retail box was larger, older stock. it’s not open so I will return it, and get one from Costco…

At the speed those company change hardware and firmware, I will make sure I get the latest one :slight_smile:

So far so good on the fist Safepoint. looks like it’s working fine with the update.

RMarier wrote:

I got it to update with the local file update from the link below

http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-040400-303-20150902.deb

I was able to update it, and now I get version v04.04.00-303

The other one was update online to v04.04.00-307

I will wait and see if it changed in a day or two . Maybe WD prevend us from updating more then once per day IDK

The version I had in it was pretty old, so I imagine Best Buy has old stock or something.

I also purchased two 4TB MyBook to make them into safe point.

One of the retail box was larger, older stock. it’s not open so I will return it, and get one from Costco…

At the speed those company change hardware and firmware, I will make sure I get the latest one :slight_smile:

So far so good on the fist Safepoint. looks like it’s working fine with the update.

it should be the same hardware. as far as i know its all the same hardware.  I would do all the updated BEFORE you load these units up with gigbites of movies and files ect…  People like me with tons of stuff on them seem to have problems with *upgrading firmware.  

lluna_polanco wrote:

Hi, we have passed this along to support.

Thanks. Can you also pass along the option to change back to the old/dark gray interface? Why WD would have changed (or better yet forced) that onto us is beyond me.

For those interested in updating to ‘307’ version and looking for this patch:

http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-040400-307-20150921.deb

Naturally :wink:

My unit just upgraded from ‘303’ smoothly in below 20 min time (indexing past initialisation included) and all works fine!

Bit of a background / comments from my side regarding V4 upgrade process:

I did manage to upgrade mine from v3 to v4 succesfuly only quite recently - but only by doing full factory restore eventually and by (carefully) moving my data out of the unit prior to the upgrade / reset and into the cloud aftewards.

My previous updates were frankly disastrous to that extend, that I decided to downgrade manually using this method:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/Poll-Who-has-reverted-to-V3-firmware-and-why/m-p/874980#M34452

To cut the long story short it was probably dud data that literally ground my unit to a halt (it was not able to finish indexing / thumbnails creation, which then in turn was preventing any normal access and work with the unit) was SmartWare backup data - probably something to do with very long file names & access paths.

However I also witnessed myriade of other strange errors (share- and user-related) in GUI, hence my decision to reset the unit completely.

Now’s all dandy and unit works absolutely fine: thumbnails are created when necessary, data rates are relatively high, all anciliary apps (WD Photos) work in order. I also don’t mind interface being like it is now - less gloomy!

One thing though:I did experience Content Scan Complete : 0 files indexed in all categories immediately after first restart when I upgraded to V4 earlier.

The solution that worked for me was as per this thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/Error-in-quot-Content-Scan-quot-Crawler-is-not-running/td-p/625153

(so: I did shut the unit down and booted it up - and then re-build commenced and completed succesfully within the next few hours)

When you logged into the new white interface did it take you through the registration process again?  Did you complete the registration?  Were all of your settings still there?

Has anyone tried installing “transmission” on the latest firmware. Does it still work?

Also with the availability of the SDK, will the my cloud officially support 3rd party apps? e.g Could “Transmission” could eventually be available for install through the UI or something like it does for the higher end WD cloud drives?

I got that white login page after the update to #307

I just hit the F5 key and few times and all was good.

im having same permission problems after the update cant do anything with the files ?

it has just let me transfer a file to it though . any idears ?.

-307 update fixed the blank capacity issue for me. It also fixed the unremovable folders in /Public/.

So far everything’s good with the latest firmware.

v04.04.00-307  i have this firmware but unable to edit any files in the public folder anymore ?. what do i have to do to fix this issue please?.

When are we getting OS3?
And does anybody know if we will be able to run Plex on our ‘My Cloud’ after that update?

Also I can’t see any photos in the WD photos app now, WD Mycloud works fine though

adampcarvell wrote:

v04.04.00-307  i have this firmware but unable to edit any files in the public folder anymore ?. what do i have to do to fix this issue please?.

There are several other threads discussing this issue. Like this one: Folders Within Public Share Read-Only after Firmware Update

Currently it appears (per other posts in other threads) one can contact WD Support and obtain a patch to fix this issue on their WD My Cloud.

vardaanchawla wrote:

When are we getting OS3?
And does anybody know if we will be able to run Plex on our ‘My Cloud’ after that update?

All WD has claimed is “late September” for the release of the OS 3 materials. With all the problems with the last two firmware releases (303 and 307) perhaps they’ve decided to hold off releasing the rest of the OS 3 materials while they fix the problems those firmwares have introduced. The WD2Go.com site is also still not back up either.

Currently Plex is not supported on the WD My Cloud units that do not support 3rd party modules. There is no official word (as far as I’ve seen) as of yet that indicates the lower end WD My Cloud units will be getting the ability to officially add 3rd party modules through the Dashboard interface.

raised a support ticket to WD.