My Cloud Home Service Outage - 02-Apri-2023

https://community.wd.com/t/my-cloud-home-and-my-cloud-os-5-service-outage/

1 Like

When will My Cloud Home be back up and running

I have been attempting to access my files and have been unable to.

Please advise how to access my files. I have tried to access the files through explorer but have been advised that the file is empty

This is very concerning as I have all my company data stored on this device

14 Likes

The outage, with no details as to why it has happened, is bad enough. But whilst it is ongoing, I can’t access anything on my My Cloud Home. If access to the My Cloud Home is not possible without connection to the My Cloud service, what is going to happen once support is withdrawn? Will this render the device unusable? Or will we be given full local access, without the need to login?

9 Likes

Same here cannot access the cloud plus now the white light is slowly glowing

5 Likes

Would this also make my white light slowly glow

Im so doomed… All my papers work from students , evaluation meetings tomorrow ALL in the cloud WD. But all the red flags were there… If i could have any solution here. Im desperate…

3 Likes

I have real concerns about the security of the WD. I hope the problem is solved as could as possible. Is anybody knows local access to the disk?

2 Likes

This is absolutely terrible.

4 Likes

Unbelievable- well, it’s not really… first they remove support, and say access won’t work, then completely Fxxk everything and everyone up months ahead of schedule. I’ve had mycloudhome for years, it has my life on, thousands of pounds of digital content, archives, backups…Completely fxxded up before I had a chance to find a solution that can’t be rendered obsolete because the big corporations use built-in obsolescence to force upgrades… how many apple/windows “updates” have rendered stuff unusable overnight because auto updates are on.
I have an old windows desktop somewhere with the app on. That might work, need to dig it out and hook it up. Access via the cloud, plex folders etc… lost for now

4 Likes

This is absolutely disgraceful… Not a single feed back from company… I need my data back tomorrow morning. If I survive this, will never get 1 more single product from these poor low company… And my feed back will be just like their consideration whit costumers … A fu*/*/ckin disgrace
…

10 Likes

Disgrace doesn’t seem to bother them… I completely understand the complexity of the technology (believe me), but for them to act like this IS NOT A FRICKING SCIENCE EXPERIMENT is beneath the dignity of any self-respecting technologist. We are GUINEA PIGS that are being used to help them figure out the intricacies of distributed/hybrid storage and computing models. I accept my role, and wear my Guinea Pig Suit proudly… but their marketing department would make people think that this is a product that is ready for PRIME TIME. NOT!!

2 Likes

This is beyond ridiculous. WD’s April fool’s joke is a day late and not even a little funny.

I have an older mycloud drive and it can be accessed like a normal network drive on my home network (even today). I liked that one so much that I bought a new one - the new one has been out of commission all day today with absolutely no communication from WD. How in the world can it be necessary to connect to WD’s servers for me to access my files? This should be illegal. I would have subscribed to a real cloud service without owning the hardware if that’s what I wanted.

Can I daisychain the new one to the old one to offload files?

4 Likes

I have 3 of these drives that will now be outdated. Glad I bought used but still cost about 80-120 each. Wish I could get 50% of my money back. This blows.

By the way WD I own stock because I liked the simple to use and convenience of your products but for the future I will not be buying from you and will sell my stocks

If you already enabled Local Network Access via Samba (SMB) when your device was online, then you can access using Windows Network or macOS Finder.

4 Likes

I’d be willing to bet dollars to doughtnuts that it’s been out this long because it’s Sunday and they don’t want to work on it on Sunday. Meanwhile people who rely on this stuff to run their small businesses are trying to plan around having absolutely no access to their data. Also, really cute that WD made the announcement and immediately locked the thread.

3 Likes

When will it be back? Whenever someone shows up at the office to fix it, I guess. The next update on the status page says “Monday April 3rd.” I guess I got what I paid for - I will be enabling local access if this ever comes back, but when it does, I’m going to go back to my old NAS…WD can’t be trusted.

3 Likes

Heard Elon bought WD and is cutting redundancies

At this point we are all better off buying a raspberry pi and using it as a NAS

3 Likes

Better yet, I’m going to just go back to old school backups on an external drive and it sure won’t be a WD. They’ve lost me permanently as a customer for any product. Our files are being held hostage by their incompetence.

1 Like