Login to MyCloud Dashboard from Outside the Network

Couple of things: I have a dynamic IP. I know the MyCloud handles this by registering the IP with it’s server but is there a way for me to see the IP? I see the local IP but I can’t find it when outside the network.

I’m trying to do two things:

1. I’d like to login to the Dashboard if it can be enabled to allow connectons outside of the network.

2. I’d like to log in using Bittorrent Sync outside the network.

Is any of this possible?

1 Like

Don’t think you can.

Here is a link to the User Manual. See Accessing Your Cloud Remotely and At a Glance: The Dashboard.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

There is no reference to either of these here so I guess it’s not allowed. It would be good to enable permission to access Dashboard outside of network.

Also - when running Mycloud the device icon shows the IP address of the drive but unfortunately it is the internal network ip. It would be very usefull for a number of things if the icon showed the actual ip address over the internet.

Any way to request that?

1 Like

Hi all,

I would like to mention about accessing the Dashboard from outside your local network.  It  is possible to do this but, it would require the use of a Webserver running on your local network and opening a port on your router to this local network ebserver.  I am not talking about a Computer Driven Webserver.  There is a Wifi enabled micro-controller that only costs $39 and the webserver software is free.  The device is called a Spark Core.  

If many people are interested in this I will build a mico-webserver with instructions.

Please Click the Kudow’ Star to the Left if you would like the ability to access your Dashboard remotely.

4 Likes

Pleeeease make that happen. It’s idiotic it wasn’t there in the first place. I don’t have physical access to the MC most of the time so can’t pull power plug or anything, which is a huge annoyance esp. when you consider all the other things wrong with this product (meaning yes well EVERYTHING)

That’s gives me a really cool idea.

One of the really neat things abou the spark core is it can be used to power relays.  Okay,  so I created a little selinoid that can press a pin and reset the WD My Cloud Drive.  via a Mobile App from anywhere in the world. The Spark Core is controlled via a https secure API cloud and that part is free. The core is only $39

This is a doable option until other means are available.

1. A webserver that acquires a IP address on the same local network as your My Cloud. 

2. You open a port to this IP (Spark Core Webserver) with sign-in credentials. Username & Password.

3. You click a link that parses the WDMycloud\UI to your browser (Remotelly).

4. If you need to reset your MyCLoud, you click another link in the webserver page 1 second or 45 second hold of Reset Button.

5. One Minute later you back in to your MyCloud with current admin PW or setting up new admin.

6. If still issues, you run Full Restore of your MyCloud all from the comfort of your hotel room.

But, I have a question for others beyond this James Bond Approach ???

???

Why couldn’t Remote Desktop be used to launch the WDMycloud\Ui ??? 

Can’t Remote Desktop be setup so it will allow full remote access from the Internet ???

1 Like

Find your external IP.  whatismyip.org works well for this.  Generally, dynamic IP’s don’t change all that frequently, so you’re probably good for a long while.  

Now, if you have Linux or Mac on the computer you’re trying to use to access the device from outside you’re network, you’re fine.  If you’re a Windows person, you’ll need to install Cygwin, specifically ssh-client, in order to do this.  

1. Configure your MyCloud device to allow SSH access by following the instructions in the dashboard/manual.
  2. Open a terminal (Mac or Linux) or a Cygwin window in Windows.  
  3. Type (without the quotes) “ssh -D 1234 root@<your.external.IP.here>”
  4. Now configure your browser to use a Socks V5 proxy.  This can be easily done in Chrome by using Falcon Proxy.  Set it up with the host 127.0.0.1 and port 1234.  Leave other settings default. 
  5. Turn on the above mentioned proxy.  
  6. Now, type your INTERNAL IP address (the address that you access the device at on your local network, something like 10.0.0.x or 192.168.x.x) into the browser window.  
  7. Profit.  

What you’re doing is connecting to your device using the external IP address via the SSH protocol.  the -D 1234 tells it to open port 1234 to pass through traffic.  By creating the SocksV5 proxy and setting your browser to use that, you’re directing all traffic through the port you just opened, which means that all internet traffic from that browser will now be going to your MyCloud device, then out to the internet from there.  This allows you to access the MyCloud directly as if you were sitting in front of it at your computer connected to the same network.  

Hope that helps a person or 5.  

3 Likes

To access the dasboard when I am outside my network or abroad, I vpn into my router. My router support PPTP, it creates a secure connection from whereever I am to my router, from there i am on my local network and can access the UI using 192.168.1.xx address.

2 Likes

mikecole79 wrote:

Find your external IP.  whatismyip.org works well for this.  Generally, dynamic IP’s don’t change all that frequently, so you’re probably good for a long while.  

Now, if you have Linux or Mac on the computer you’re trying to use to access the device from outside you’re network, you’re fine.  If you’re a Windows person, you’ll need to install Cygwin, specifically ssh-client, in order to do this.  

1. Configure your MyCloud device to allow SSH access by following the instructions in the dashboard/manual.
  2. Open a terminal (Mac or Linux) or a Cygwin window in Windows.  
  3. Type (without the quotes) “ssh -D 1234 root@<your.external.IP.here>”
  4. Now configure your browser to use a Socks V5 proxy.  This can be easily done in Chrome by using Falcon Proxy.  Set it up with the host 127.0.0.1 and port 1234.  Leave other settings default. 
  5. Turn on the above mentioned proxy.  
  6. Now, type your INTERNAL IP address (the address that you access the device at on your local network, something like 10.0.0.x or 192.168.x.x) into the browser window.  
  7. Profit.  

What you’re doing is connecting to your device using the external IP address via the SSH protocol.  the -D 1234 tells it to open port 1234 to pass through traffic.  By creating the SocksV5 proxy and setting your browser to use that, you’re directing all traffic through the port you just opened, which means that all internet traffic from that browser will now be going to your MyCloud device, then out to the internet from there.  This allows you to access the MyCloud directly as if you were sitting in front of it at your computer connected to the same network.  

Hope that helps a person or 5.  

You missed the port forwarding (-: Unless of course the router is on DMZ mode.

Another almost similar but simpler method is tunneling, which after setting up correctly, Dashboard can be accessed externally with just one click of a shortcut on both PC and mobile.

Edited:

• Enable SSH on WDMyCloud (after login change the root password or get hacked within hours you expose your nas to the net! e.g. type: passwd). If you’re an advanced user and not worried about WD warranty getting voided, you can setup password-less DSA/RSA key logins, allow others but disallow root logins or root with key-only logins etc².

• Setup port forwarding on your router with internal port 22, external port 2222 for device wdmycloud. This is such that you will connect from external network with utilities below using my.external.ddnshostname.com:2222.

• There’s few utilities for tunneling but the objective is the same if you understand the concept. PC? Use putty or cygwin. Android? Use ConnectBot or relevant. Others? Search the market.

• Depending on your platform, you can create shortcuts to automatically connect to WDMyCloud externally and launch the Dashboard like screenshots below:

5 Likes

1-i actived ssh

2-i opened terminal

3-ssh -D 1234@my external ip

4- ?? i cant do it

5-?? i cant do it

6-i understand it

7-i understand it

must i opened 2222 port ?

especially i want to remote transmission outside the network

i can use ftp outside the network.

Thx. Its very useful information.

Hi, that’s nice to read.

From my point of view it is better to use an openVPN server.
I run it on a “Raspberry Pi” for external access to my network.
It runs a Transmission, FTP, pyLoad, DNS, OpenVPN Server and much more.
But you need a lot of linux skils to configure that stuff!
If you don’t have a static external ip, you need a dyndns service as well.

Greets

There are lots of options, from complex and additional software to easy ones as you are finding out.
But the basics are, in order to access the dashboard, you need to be on the same LAN as mycloud.

If you have a PC in the same LAN as mycloud but you are remote, a RDP is the easiest option. Easiest way would be with Chrome RDP that I know of.

For more information you can search “network address translation” and “forwarding ports on (your brand and model) router”