[GUIDE] How To Unbrick your 2TB/3TB/4TB My Cloud

Yes I have done this but still no success. I have WD My Cloud HOME 8TB device with 4TB WD RED NAS drive. I cannot manage to access it. I can see it has and dedicated IP address from my router. Can I use that to bypass /setup guide?

Hello there
I bought a 2nd generation 3 TB device. but there is no hard disk. I need an image. Is there anyone to share an image? I ask for help.

I used the links off this youtube video for the 4 TB image it worked. The instructions at the start of this thread worked for my gen1 4 TB no issues.

Are the links in the video for gen 1?

I used the 4TB one last night it is GEN1. The 3TB image is GEN1 also but not a virgin image there is a share on it. So if anyone uses the 3TB don’t forget to do a factory restore first thing after finishing.

fist thank u for help. i need 2. gen 3tb image. Is there anyone to help me? pls :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,
My MyCloud / 3TB / P/N: WDBCTL0030HWT - 00 with latest firmware just not working. I have solid amber light on it. I have contacted WD Support, no help so far. Do you know where I can find the virgin disk for my MyClould ?

I had the same issue …
I have then found a working solution …

After downloading and mounting the given images … MyCloud started successfully …
Thanks to luiz_Balestreri

Thank you mate. I solved that issue in 2018. thank you for carrying so much about that.

same here if you find 1 let me know and i’ll do the same. thanks

Still working!
Actually, I took a short cut:
(1) I downloaded the balenaEtcher - Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives, as suggested by SimonCraddock;
(2) then I downloaded the 4TB image from post 246;
(3) copy the 4TB image for the new HDD using the software installed in step (2);
(4) access the UI from the browser and performing a SYSTEM FACTORY RESTORE (step 21 in [GUIDE] How To Unbrick your 2TB/3TB/4TB My Cloud - #243 by Gxknaul5);
(5) manually update the firmware (step 24).
Now My Cloud 4TB is back on track.
Thank you, guys!

despite the img of the disk is not longer avaliable, i have found a different solution based on the points 12 to 17 of the first post:
i had actived the ssh daemon from the user interface, connected with putty at the ip of the nas, connected using the temporary password (root / welc0me) , and after changed the root password i followed the instruction on gparted to wipe and recreate the partition 4 (with the same start and end point of the previous partition!!), then i had a factory reset and now the NAS has again 4TB instead of 2GB!!

I have a 3TB My Cloud, probably Gen1 since I got it from around 2015. I’ve been updating the OS over the years - I had been using OS5 at the time. Anyway, it crashed while I was trying to copy some large files from the My Cloud to an internal hard drive. Just flashing blue lights, absolutely no way to access it from the interface, online dashboard, or app. Support said it was rebooting or rebuilding its index, but this went on for over a week with no progress. Deciding it was bricked, I removed it from the enclosure and connected it to my PC via SATA, then copied the files over. So I’ve got my files backed up, but no disk image.

I use Ubuntu, so I thought I could follow these unbricking guides using the Gnome Disks utility. I downloaded a copy of WDMyCloud3TBVDI.img from one of these support threads, and used the “restore disk image” option in Disks to write it to the My Cloud HDD. I couldn’t mount the HDD on Ubuntu, but the partitions looked right on the GUI so I decided to proceed. Once I reattached the board and all the cables, I got the typical green lights on the Ethernet port but a flashing red light on the front. I was totally unable to access the drive via any network tools and the light stayed flashing red for hours. I tried the 40-second reboot and power cycling, no change.

Next I tried downloading a more recent firmware image, extracting rootfs.img, and using “restore disk image” on Gnome Disks to write that to both Raid partitions. The results were the same - red blinking, no network access. I then used “restore disk image” from the Gnome Disks to once again write WDMyCloud3TBVDI.img to the HDD, just to undo that last RAID edit. Per an earlier comment in this thread, I tried reformatting the filesystem on partition 3. This seemed to make some difference, as I was able to mount the drive on Ubuntu. But once again, red blinking and no network access once I attached the hdd to the board and cables.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be an incompatible disk image, something wrong with the board, wrong choice of tool (Gnome Disks vs command line)?

One must know the version because the files used and methods used to unbrick may not be the same. The gen 2 single bay My Cloud has different hardware and uses different firmware that is incompatible with the gen 1 firmware.

Look at the bottom of the single bay/single drive My Cloud enclosure for the P/N number.
First gen v4.x firmware: P/N: WDBCTLxxxxxxx- 00
Second gen v2.x firmware: P/N: WDBCTLxxxxxxx- 10

When partitioning the hard drive for use in the single bay My Cloud enclosure, its important to use the exact values. Do not adjust them in any way or round them off.

Note: The My Cloud Home is not the same as a My Cloud unit. The My Cloud Home uses different firmware and has a different operating system.

good catch. so i can confirm i have gen 2 then.

i ended up following the directions and using the recovery files in the google drive in this thread,

specifically, i used the “alternative way” listed in the _Unbricking_en.txt file to create partitions and move the boot files to the drive.

i can at least see an ip address now on my ISP’s network monitor tool. and when i go to it, it gives me the option to upload new firmware. it’s taking forever, but seems to be working. thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Great. Now I’m having this issue. Anyone know what firmware I should use?

Another unbrick method that couldn’t hurt to try. Note that WD is blocking the downloading of older firmware (like the one used in the directions below) now, so one will have to use the current/latest 2nd gen v2.x firmware which can be downloaded from the WD Support website.

This has helped me recover my 3TB MyCloud, thank you so much!!!

Hi Ouglee,
I have finished all the above steps. MyCloud is 2TB. So after step 09 I had started step 18.
now my HDD showing as below :

but when I have attached my hdd to mycloud then Red Light is continus blinking. even cant find by network (useing Mycloud desktop apps). I tried to reset by pressing reste button but still same. Please help me.
Thanks
Ashim

Is this working with WD 2TB HDD.
Thanks
Ashim