[GUIDE] How To Unbrick your 2TB/3TB/4TB My Cloud

@themus
Generally there is no need to download the first version of the v2.x firmware when unbricking a second gen v2.x single bay My Cloud. After performing the various unbrick steps and then loading the Web-Gui (recovery mode) page in a web browser one would typically upload the latest WD v2.x .bin firmware file. Download link for the current latest single bay second gen v2.x firmware file 2.31.195 (09/11/2019): https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/My_Cloud_GLCR_2.31.195.bin

One can find older versions of the single bay/single drive first gen v3.x/v4.x and second gen v2.x firmware in the following thread.

Being very unfamiliar with Linux, I thought I might try Gparted hooked up to my drive with a Ubuntu session in Windows. I am trying to figure out what to enter in light of Fox’s linux commands. Maybe I cannot get there from here?

With the GUI, I just figured I would be able to make sure I avoid touching my other drives. I noticed Fox’s notes to format drive if needed. That usually is done after partitions are created in windows. So I am not sure how that plays out in Linux.

I’ll keep working, but I am trying the Linux commands.

I get the following error after setting the drive format to gpt.

Virtual-Machine:~$ mkpart primary 1049kB 2149MB
mkpart: command not found

I am using the built-in terminal and mkpart is not found.

Did you run “parted” before running the mkpart commands? You have to run “parted” + the mount point in order to get into the Parted appication where you then can run the actual command (mkpart) that creates the partition(s).

parted /dev/sda
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 1049kB 2149MB
mkpart primary 8591MB -1MB
mkpart primary 7517MB 8591MB
mkpart primary 2149MB 3222MB
mkpart primary 3222MB 4296MB
mkpart primary 4296MB 6443MB
mkpart primary 6443MB 7517MB
q
mkswap /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3

Thank you. This keeps being a challenge on all fronts. So tonight I put my new hard drive in the My Cloud case, 8TB, have the network controller hooked up, I am getting a blinking red light with the USB drive plugged in, but my router is not listing any device for it. I’ll keep trying, but this continues to be a challenge no matter what path I seem to take. :slight_smile:

Looks like I found the IP in my router, but using Putty or Telnet is is not connecting.

Just used Putty and port 23 and I got in! I entered all the command lines with no problem.

Success!. There are a few steps I had to work through, but it is now an 8TB drive!

One of the unique things that I observed was after I interfaced to the unit through its IP address and the gui in the web browser upon its reboot was initially there were no drive space listed. Additionally, I saw a tab for “storage” and inside of that JBOD raid. After selecting that, the unit reformatted and rebooted and I had my 8TB of space. It also alerted me to another firmware update which I loaded. I thought the JBOD and no space was unique not having seen that anywhere in all my readings.

Despite that, it is now working and I am writing my files back to it.

Special thank you to Bennor and Wierd_W. Without their insights and advice, I would not have succeeded as I have. I have taken the time to write a Word file and have documented this in terms of which I may assist those in the future {being a Linux novice.}

The “Set up JBOD” phase is the “Volume setup” phase I mentioned.

It is accomplished using that WD-specific command line program, and it is at that point in the setup process that all partitions on the disk get wiped, recreated, and all the XML files get generated that the system uses to keep track of its various configuration information.

Since those files do not exist prior to this phase in the setup, it lists 0mb as the size of the volume. (because the volume as not been set up.)

Once you set up the volume, it asks you to reboot. You do, and its all good after that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just done it partially using a single board computer (rockpro64). So far I have a red light on the wd my cloud, but let’s keep it on for like 30-40 minutes as I hope I’ll eventually come on.

Great guide, thanks.

For some, after an unbrick they will get a red LED on the front LED. One should then access the My Cloud Dashboard using a web browser and perform a System Only Factory Restore via the Dashboard > Settings > Utilities page. This will cause the My Cloud to reset then perform a reboot at which point one should then get a blue LED on the front LED.

I do not have a CD Rom. Is it possible to do this process without a CD?

Yes. Just write .iso to USB using Rufus or similar tool (Almost all bootable CD have option for boot from USB or HDD)

This does not work with my WD My Cloud Home 8TB. I have completed all of the steps about using 4TB WD Red NAS hard drive but still when I connect the drive to the motherboard I can see only light (no flashing, steady light). Can you please help me?

The My Cloud Home is a completely different device with different hardware, options and features than the single bay My Cloud. As such the two different directions for unbricking a first gen (v4.x firmware) single drive My Cloud and a second gen (v2.x) My Cloud generally won’t work for the My Cloud Home line of devices.

Best to ask in the dedicated My Cloud Home subforum if there is an ability to replace the hard drive and reinstall the My Cloud Home OS to it.

My Cloud Home
https://community.wd.com/c/home-cloud-storage/my-cloud-home/229

I know that but you are the only one that has posted a full how to guide of fixing a bricked device so I thought that you would help me somehow

I am posting guides for the first/second gen single bay My Cloud that were done or hosted by user Fox_exe. I do not have a My Cloud Home so I have no experience with that device. User Fox_exe does have a My Cloud Home subforum on their website, not sure if there are any instructions in there for reinstalling the My Cloud Home OS to a hard drive.

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Home/

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Home/Original/ - This is original disk image and instructions how to install it on disk.
Not mine. Use at your risk.

Thank you I will try and will write about my success or failure

I managed to somehow boot up the device. It is showing in my router as MyCloud device but i cannot access it. What is the procedure for that? I tried 40s reset button, it did a hard reset, blinking led and two times reset. Now the light is steady white but i cannot access it. Do you have a solution for this?

Thank you for your time

Six years later, this guide is still accurate. Gen 1 my cloud single 4tb bricked when it fell while in use, solid red and dead. Ordered a WD red 6tb drive only. Followed original guide up to and including step 9. Then I rebooted to grub recovery cd, accessed new 6tb drive again with GParted and deleted the ext 4 partition Id #4 and recreated to use all unallocated free space. This gave me 5.9 tb for backups in ext partition.

Reassembled unit and came up to solid red, but able to access via http web and performed quick factory reset. On reboot, all 5.9tb space available to unit. However, unable to update firmware via auto download, so I downloaded latest gen 1 firmware (.deb file not zip)from web site and manual update of firmware from web interface worked on first attempt. My bricked WDMycloud is back better than ever with an additional 2tb of space. Can’t thank you all enough! Updated build steps below:

What To Do

1. Burn the SystemRescueCD.

2. Unzip the 2 or 3TB Virgin Image, and copy the mycloud2tb.img file to the 8GB+ USB Drive.

3. Disassemble your My Cloud. 2.8k

4. Pop the Linux RescueCD, the USB Drive, and the WD Hard Drive into the PC. (It is recommended you disconnect any other drives in your PC, to avoid confusion.) Boot off the CD. For Dell, press F12 during BOOT to get the option.

5. When the RescueCD finally boots, start the graphical environment by typing STARTX.

6. Click on the Gparted icon it task bar at bottom, and use it to determine what devices are what. (click at upper right to change devices) Take note of your Hard Drive (usually /dev/sda) and your USB Drive (mine was /dev/sdb). The partitions/sizes should be a big hint, especially if you have no other drives connected.

7. Close GPARTED then click on Terminal Window icon, and enter the following commands in the terminal window:
    mkdir /mnt/usb
    mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
    ls /mnt/usb

8. ‘mycloud.img’ should be listed in results of list command above. NOW it’s time to overwrite everything on your new hard drive…. The next command is Disk Duplicate and copies the image found in In File IF (the USB drive) to Out File OF the new hard disk drive
    dd if=/mnt/usb/mycloud2tb.img of=/dev/sda

9. Be patient, there will be no response for 5 minutes. Your hard drive is being overwritten and that takes some time. Your result should be
    10240000+0 records in
    10240000+0 records out
    5242880000 bytes (5.2 GB) copied, xxx.xxx s, xx.x MB/s.

10. Reboot the Rescue CD (Linux), start graphical interface with STARTX

11. Single click to start GPARTED and access newly rebuilt drive. Open up partition table and take a look at what you have. I had numerous partitions and large amount of unallocated space available.Lets use available space.

12. Delete the EXT4 partition (this is the largest partition numbered 4 in my build).

13. Create a new partition 4 of type EXT4 with GPARTED using the balance of unallocated space.

14. Write the changes to the drive using GPARTED to finalize the build

15. Shut down Linux

16. Remove the new WD Red hard drive from build PC and reattach to logic board of WD MyCloud

17. Connect network and power. My drive comes up to solid RED light (again).

18. Access the drive as if it were new using My Cloud

19. My drive accessible at 192.168.1.3, same as original config. Can manage at

20. Drive showed only 1.5TB of storage and has lost access to its files, also firmware is older at ver 03.00.232. All of this is causing the solid RED light

21. Go to Settings, then UTILITIES tab, choose the SYSTEM FACTORY RESTORE and take QUICK RESTORE, system will spin for a while, then reboot. (NOTE, if you take option for FULL RESTORE, be prepared for hours or days of waiting as this process is intended to cleanse your personal data and writes patterns of data to the entire drive as a way to delete personal data. Reports of this running 24 to 48 hours are posted. Don’t do FULL RESTORE.)

22. When drive reboots, all of the new storage space was available (5.9TB in my 6TB drive!!)

23. Still had error Solid RED due to Firmware. I attempted to download and install firmware recommended AUTOMATICALLY with CHECK FOR UPDATE. System would not allow the firmware upgrade, it errors out on a space error or not able to download error. I found the firmware for Gen 1 on this page:
    WD My Cloud v3.x, v4.x and v2.x Firmware Versions Download Links

24. Downloaded the .deb file and then from SETTINGS, FIRMWARE and MANUAL FIRMWARE option, was able to upgrade from version V03.00 to V04.05.00-342.deb

25. The unit rebooted to BLUE light, with white background on new administration panel, I completed a new configuration setting Time Zone, adding a new user and adding a new share. Now everything is fine, and able to access from same old links, no problems saving backups to the drive.