Unbrick mycloud 1 bay gen 2

I have purchased SIX WD mycloud units from a sale stock
WDBCTL0030HWT -10

I have extracted the six 3 tb hard drives for using them in other devices. Now I have six empty units, And this is a pity because I hace some 2 Tb hard drives and I could unbrick some units. It is apity leave them unused.

I tried unbrick guide but this is for gen 1 devices.

I am lost because I need a 2 Tb image suitable for this generation but I am not able to find one

¿WHAT CAN I DO WITH THESE EMPTY UNITS? CAN I INSTALL OTHER SO HERE OR SOMETHING FOR USING THEM???

Search the forum (magnifying glass icon upper right) for “unbrick”. There are a number of directions for both the first gen and second gen My Cloud units.

User Fox_Exe has a set of directions for the first gen 4v.x firmware and second gen v2.x firmware single bay/single drive My Cloud units. The directions are slightly different so make sure to use the correct one for your My Cloud model.

First gen: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVbzZac0plbkZKeGM/view
Firmware file used in first gen directions: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVNTN6c2F4SXEwQVU
Second gen: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVQVhnLVJOdDZISUU/view

Check the P/N ending number on the bottom of the My Cloud enclosure.
P/N “-00” is first gen.
P/N “-10” is second gen.

You cannot put the older first gen v4.x firmware on the newer second gen v2.x firmware single bay My Cloud units.

but procedure for generation 2 has this link broken

https://ftp.anionix.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/usbrecovery.tar.gz (WD Recovery + My miniOS)

There are many guides, but none of them is complete

The usbrecovery.tar.gz file can be found/downloaded at this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVRXllYjY5RG1CZEU

Ok but procedure is the same for 2tb 3tb etc:?

Should be. I think that like the first gen when unbricked, the second gen will resize the user data partition to fill the available hard drive space when rebooted (or a 40 second reset) after performing the unbrick steps.

the reason that the unbrick procedure work for different size disks. Is because the second line says to create a partition starting at 8591MB and thru the end of the disk because of the -1MB.

parted /dev/sda
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 1049kB 2149MB
mkpart primary 8591MB -1MB
mkpart primary 7517MB 8591MB
mkpart primary 2149MB 3222MB
mkpart primary 3222MB 4296MB
mkpart primary 4296MB 6443MB
mkpart primary 6443MB 7517MB
q

OK I am going to do the procedure. What is exact number for 2 Tb disc instead 1 mb?

2097152 mb is correct for 2 tb ???

Use the number exactly as they are shown. All of the partitions are before 8591MB. So that partition will go to the end of the disk. Also notice that it is a -1MB not 1MB

ok I am making progess… but I am not aable to do the procedures.

Procedure 1 says I have toconnect WD mycloud by telnet but I Do not know how to do this… Then Go to second procedure, here I do not understand:

Alternative way:

Use Debian/ubuntu or any other linux distro (USB/CD Live image)

All “/dev/sda” change to your disk! (List disks in system: “parted -l”)

If this is new disk or damaged (formatted) old, recreate partitions first:

parted /dev/sda
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 1049kB 2149MB
mkpart primary 8591MB -1MB
mkpart primary 7517MB 8591MB
mkpart primary 2149MB 3222MB
mkpart primary 3222MB 4296MB
mkpart primary 4296MB 6443MB
mkpart primary 6443MB 7517MB
q
mkswap /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS I Have to download the files but WHERE???

Download and unpack files from WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/Developing: uImage-wdrecovery and uRamdisk-wdrecovery

Write it disk:

mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot
mkdir /mnt/boot/boot
cp uImage-wdrecovery /mnt/boot/boot/uImage
cp uRamdisk-wdrecovery /mnt/boot/boot/uRamdisk

Done. Connect disk back to WDMC and turn on.

After few minutes WDMC boots to “WD Recovery”. Go to webgui and upload official firmware.

Done!

You can find the files need in the same link I posted previously: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVRXllYjY5RG1CZEU

Specifically, the Developing folder as indicated in the alternate directions: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVdU9QWURqTXpaenM

i am trying first procedure but do not meaning og q comand after that terminal says i may need to update something

when rebootin is with orwithout usb stick

and them what light i expect??? red flashing? yellow/red? blue??

as you can see procedures have to be very detailed

in second procedure I asked wherefileshave to be dowloaded, asking about DESTINATIONof thesfiles

but returning to second procedure, I am very interested because i have to unbrick SIX units

recovery mode web gui how is?

When you telnet into the device. Do you get a login prompt? I think the username is root. With no password.
Not sure. Once logged in type the command listed.

The “q” command in the telnet terminal window at that particular step is to quit the parted module/program.

These directions are intended for those who have a basic understanding of Linux commands.

The commands in the instruction are literally copy and paste, for the most part, into the telnet command window.

The “web gui” (at that point in the directions) can be accessed using a web browser and inputting the IP address of the My Cloud into the browser’s address bar. You have to download the latest firmware from the My Cloud Support site and upload the firmware file via the “web gui”.

no login required starting telnet.

I have done first procedure. After rebooting with usb stick inserted led flash yellow/red
and I am not able to access using My Cloud
Power off, extract the usb stick and power on… blue flash and red flashing. i am not able to access

It is a pity because i have SIX units. I am working with WD red 2 Tb hard disks in 3 Tb model 2 gen

That procedure does work. Are you sure that you did each step? If you put the USB back in and reboot. You should be able to telnet in again and mount the boot partition and verify that you have the correct uimage and uramdisk.

Ok this afternoon I will do the procedure again, copy terminal and paste all here for viewing if everything is well done.

as i said, I purchased six WD mycloud 3 Tb in a stock bargain, extracted the six 3 tb red NAS WD hard drives for other NAS… and now I have six WD empty. I have 2 Tb WD GREEN for unbrick… But I never thought WD put operating system in hard disk. If tou loose hard disk tou leese the device… OS should have stored in flash memory in the device. Of course I am nor an expert in LINUX.

If I were capable unbricking at least ONE device, I think I can clone the disc and would work in other devices.

I can do the alternative procedure, but this says

Download and unpack files from WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/Developing: uImage-wdrecovery and uRamdisk-wdrecovery

Download for putting where??? In a usb stick?

A did not say before, thank you very much for your help, but WD should not store OS in hard disk. WD my cloud is a NAS, simple but is a NAS, And a NAS can replace disks without problem

It appears one is supposed to download the two files to the the My Cloud hard drive (I assume using the linux wget command) then unpack the two files (using the Linux tar -xvzf command). Or one could download the files to the USB drive, extract them, then copy the files to the My Cloud hard drive, or even to the location in the directions, using the appropriate Linux commands.

Not sure how this would work on a CD distro. They are copying the files to the Linux environment. Then copying them to the WD Cloud disk.
I have a Linux system so I just connected the disk to the linux system and followed the instructions.