Rebuild your My Cloud or upgrade the HDD on it

This is what I did to rebuild my drive from soft brick. You can use this to upgrade your My Cloud to whatever side you want.

This thread helped me:  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Here-is-WD-My-Cloud-2TB-virgin-disk-image/m-p/668617/highlight/false#M5968

Got the image. Used Ubuntu and restored it to the drive. All I have to do now is to resize the ext4 partition - sda4 and I’ll be back in business again :slight_smile:

This is what I did:

-load up a live Ubuntu drive on a computer and attach the WD drive to the machine - take ie out of the case and use a USB adapter or a SATA/ESATA cable.

-download the image from the link above and extract the IMG from there.

-start Disks application and select the WD drive.

-click on the gear and select ‘restore from image’ for the whole drive

-point to the downloaded image

-run fsck on the 4th partition

-for me, the device was mounted as SDA

-fsck /dev/sda4

-start GParted and extend the sda4 partition to fill up unused space

-put back in case and boot up :slight_smile:

You now have a fully working drive in ‘just out the box’ condition.

EDIT: Here’s the 3TB image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrwgwko2wfraolw/mycloud3T.7z

Use this for a 3TB drive and skip the GParted part. I still recommend doing a fsck.

My guide should work on any size drive, so you could theoretically put in a 6TB drive in the enclosure and you should be able to set it up using this guide.

6 Likes

bogdi1988,

Thank you for sharing this contribution. I am most certain it will be able to assist User with similar cases.

1 Like

I hope to not have to use this, but thanks for the instructions

gave you a kudos for sharing this… Good to know when I upgrade it to a 8TB drive someday :stuck_out_tongue:

Has anyone tried to set up the system on a smaller disk say 500gb?

I took out the 4tb disk because i’m afraid it wont live long considering the stand by problem so i’m interested only in making my cloud a torrent downloader. 

How did you open up your my cloud case? Where are the tabs to allow the HD to slide out?

It’s in deed very difficult but i managed to get the disk out of the case. The problem for me now is to install a new system on a 500gb disk.

andreaspf8585 wrote:

It’s in deed very difficult but i managed to get the disk out of the case. The problem for me now is to install a new system on a 500gb disk.

Can you describe how you opened it?

got ideas from this   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGLJi66vxnY

it’s quite similar procedure

I have known that I could do it by connecting directly HDD`s sata port to a computer.

but my question is: can I do it without opening mycloud`s case and taking out the hard disk drive?

I mean by connecting my cloud`s USB port to a computer ?

does your computer recognize the drive if mycloud does not boot up (becuase of firmware problem) ?

tnx

H.R

after running the fsck /devsda4

i got a lot of these

Inode 92799082 has a extra size (61066) which is invalid
Fix? yes
Special (device/socket/fifo) inode 92799082 has non-zero size.  Fix? yes
Inode 92799083 is in use, but has dtime set.  Fix? yes
Inode 92799083 has a extra size (979) which is invalid
Fix? yes
Inode 92799083 has compression flag set on filesystem without compression support.  Clear? yes
Error while reading over extent tree in inode 92799083: Corrupt extent header
Clear inode? yes
Inode 92799083 is a zero-length directory.  Clear? yes
Inode 92799084 is in use, but has dtime set.  Fix? yes
Inode 92799084 has imagic flag set.  Clear? yes
Inode 92799084 has a extra size (21515) which is invalid
Fix? yes
Inode 92799085 is in use, but has dtime set.  Fix? yes
Inode 92799085 has a extra size (8490) which is invalid
Fix? yes

what does this mean

ander after quite some time i got

Free inodes count wrong for group #3424 (8191, counted=8192).
Fix? yes
Directories count wrong for group #3424 (1, counted=0).
Fix? yes
Free inodes count wrong for group #6304 (8189, counted=8190).
Fix? yes
Directories count wrong for group #6304 (15, counted=0).
Fix? yes
Free inodes count wrong for group #11328 (8167, counted=8181).
Fix? yes
Directories count wrong for group #11328 (31, counted=0).
Fix? yes
Free inodes count wrong (182853616, counted=182853608).
Fix? yes

/dev/sda4: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/sda4: 24/182853632 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 11528318/731388017 blocks
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ^C
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

The following command creates an empty fresh filesystem:

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda4

After that you can try to boot on MyCloud, and if you are lucky you get blue LED :smiley:

UPDATE : After all that came up on screen and stood @ ubuntu@ubuntu:~$, I just shut the pc, put the PCB on and up and running .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wervvgegn5xrze/Photo%2021-03-14%209%2005%2017%20pm.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xja2hgdtkyy3dx0/Photo%2021-03-14%209%2005%2033%20pm.jpg

Perfect - But now the problems with unstable firmware will begin to lurk around … :flushed:

hello,

firstly, i wanna say thank you for this! i wanted to swap out the Red drive with a Green one in the MC.

The image worked for me but i cannot run the fsck, because it is telling me that i either need r/w acces or i need to beroot.

i am perfectly noob to linux, so dont know how to set either of those. im using linux mint, can you please help with this?

thanks in advance!

tom

toivi wrote:

hello,

firstly, i wanna say thank you for this! i wanted to swap out the Red drive with a Green one in the MC.

The image worked for me but i cannot run the fsck, because it is telling me that i either need r/w acces or i need to beroot.

i am perfectly noob to linux, so dont know how to set either of those. im using linux mint, can you please help with this?

thanks in advance!

tom

Type sudo to become root.

Greetings,

Image links are not working. I got the following error :  The file you’re looking for has been deleted or moved.

Would you please update ? 

Thank you

Here is my backups: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVRXF4aFpYS2dzMEE

After upload all - please reset device from WebGUI.

2 Likes

Thank you very much . The link is working