Can't access private folders in Finder on Mac OS X Yosemite

I am unable to log in to my MyCloud as a registered user. This means that I can’t access my private folders in my network.

When trying to connect, I get the following message: There was a problem connecting to the server “WDMyCloud”. Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator.

The WDMyCloud comes up with the IP: afp://WDMyCloud._afpovertcp._tcp.local under the network tab.

I have installed the WD MyCloud app but I don’t want to be restricted to using the app for access as I am looking for a seamless workflow. If I cannot connect via Finder then I have no desire to keep this device.

I have logged support tickets with WD but have not received any responses. I am really regretting my purchse at the moment.

Please help!

1 Like

I am going with how it works for me…

Finder > Go > Connect to Server > smb://192.168.1.10

192.168.1.10 is an example. Replace it with the actual IP for your unit or use the name for your unit.

To find the IP, you should be able to find that on your router’s DHCP lease/client list/table. Check your router manual.

1 Like

Me too. (My MyCloud came out of the box yesterday.)

And I’ll add my workaround – on my Mac the Finder->Go->Connect to Server mantra [thank you, shabuboy!] yielded up an opportunity to type in a ‘server address’ – I used one that worked on my other laptop, very similar to yours:
afp://WDMyCloud._afpovertcp._tcp.local.
(that’s a trailing dot and a couple of underscores different than the address you listed above)
and then I got the server connection login box, into which I typed the device password and everything worked. (Start with a browser connection to ‘wdmycloud.local’ if you haven’t already, to set up shares and permissions. In extremis try a wired Internet connection into the back of the MyCloud device – but you’re probably already there.)
Interestingly the ‘Shared’ entry in Finder still gives me ‘connection failed’ even though I’ve got Finder windows open into the device.

– Eric

(Follow-up. Interesting – in this post the web address with underscores that I typed came out as italics. So just put underscores back in that address instead, around ‘afpovertcp’. Don’t forget the trailing period. – Eric)

Thanks for the advice guys.

I’ve decided to return the drive and invest in a jet drive for my mac instead. Being able to access work remotely isn’t that important to me. It was more about convenient “wireless” storage so this product just isn’t worth the cost or the hassle.

:slight_smile: Enjoy the weekend!

Italics are used as shorthand for mattings tags in this awful forum package.

Use the ‘code formatting’ </> in the formatting bar if you want exact text strings.

explicit_example

I am having the same exact problem.
all the ‘Public’ folders show up in finder instantly. the ones i created and the ones came default.

But the private folders i made does not show up. Unless i access it via MyCLOUD app on my iphone/ipad…

this is very counter productive as i can see my files on a mobile device but i need it access on an actual computer for me to do my work!

Im regretting this purchase as of now…

follow up:

forgot to mention, you guys solution works perfectly!
typing the ip address instead of the name lined everything up.
i.e. smd://192.xxxxxx

Now the ugly part:
i have 3x unique computers in the network that will need 3x unique Private folders of their own,
that needs to be accessible on their own mobile and as well as their local Computer to do work.
Then i need all 3x unique users to have a Private (but shared amongst themselves) Folder to consolidate files/work assets together.

So far one computer seems to work fine. the permissions set actually works!
Meaning that user is able to access what is needed.
while the other too can’t see a ■■■■ folder except the ‘Public’ that came in the box!

LA MERDE!