Admin password after paper clip reset?

Hi everybody,

i have got an issue with my new My Cloud which i got yesterday.

I installed it, updated the firmware and been testing it. Afterwards i did a quick restore and a paper click reset. Now i can’t access the harddrive anymore. Either i try to log in through the user interface or through the setup app, it always ask me for an admin password. I tried to leave the password blank and also did admin/admin but had no success.

Does anyone experienced that? Would appreciate any help!

Thanks

Andy

It always hapens to me at reset. Resetting again helped in my case.

Thanks LardVader!

I did several resets, the 6 seconds and the 40seconds. but nothing helped. the only thing i can do is accessing the public folder via smb

Can you provide a image of what you see when it ask you to enter a password?

cat0w:

this is what i get when i open the UI. after entering admin or leave the field blank i get this.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2qjyji9.png

Hi All,

I followed the instructions for resetting my WD MyCloud which states “With the power turned on press the reset button”

I ended up with the same log in screen for admin asking for a password when I had not set one.

After several frustrating attempts at factory resetting this drive I succeeded by simply doing this:-

“With the power COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED” press the reset button for 4 secs or 40 secs and in my case after then reconnecting the power the drive booted and informed me “Factory Rest Successful”

I think there is a misprint in the instructions for “with power ON” read “with power OFF”

Good Luck

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a dilemma… I seem to have forgotten the password for my “MyCloud” 2TB drive.  Do I have to do a power-off/reset via paperclip/power-on to reset a new password?  I see some are using these drives without a password and wondered if that holds up over time or does the system start looking for a PW?

thank you Dave-C. I tried your way but i get still the same screen.

@ Andy26

I noticed in your screenshot to the login page of your My Cloud you still have “admin” as the user name. Have you tried clicking on the “Red X”, which will remove “admin” and leave it blank and continue the login process? No username and no password.

DrGrafix

I think you want to do a 40 second reset with the power on. This is suppose to reset the default admin password. You might have to reset any share permissions also that you already have established.

1 Like

@SectorGz

Yes i tried it. If i leave it blank, i will get an error message that says “Please enter your username and password.”

Just to make sure. The procedure for the 40sec reset is as follow: unplug the NAS, depress the reset button, keep it pressed while you plug power back on, keep it pressed for 40sec.

Have you tried to reinstall the setup software? That would create a new admin logon.

I think at this point I would pull the plug and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and then replug the unit to let it reboot totally. But before you do this have you rebooted your computer? I had to reboot my computer when I ran into an issue with unit when it didn’t even recognize the desktop app, so maybe this is a similar issue within the My Cloud. Once I did that everything worked just fine.

yes i did the reset exactly the same way as you described. Just reinstalled the setup software but it also asks me for and admin password.

Is der a way to turn ssh or get into root directory via terminal?

@sectorgz

no it didnt help. How long does a reset usually take until the led is blue? Because the 40sec. reset feels so fast.

What password or passwords did you use during the initial setup of the My Cloud?

I know I have a couple, one for the wdmycloud.com and a User Name password.  

On the Dashboard I have Password turned off so I haven’t had to sign in.

@cat0w

i used only one password and i have tried a couple of times.

recently I had to go through this reset when I panic during initialization. When it came up with the Admin password screen, I simply click on login without typing in my Admin Username or Password since my Mac usually auto fills the two, but this time it just showed the admin with the password blank (which meant no autofill), but nevertheless clicking on login with an empty password did the trick.

Thank you guys for helping, but i didnt come up with a solution. I am sure i can use one of this unbrick tutorials eventhough i can access the user inteface. But since it’s a brand new device i will exchange it tomorrow to not voiding the warranty.

I wonder if it has to do with the known issue with the lastest firmware posted by dl3l3b.

Just a little warning for all WD my cloud users.

The new update introduce for me a bug on the samba share permissions for all existing directories:

We can’t add or modify users (full access, read only or remove) for existing directories:

The reason:

The file /etc/samba/overall_share is (before update) created with with “double tabs” 

BEGIN ## sharename = myshare

[myshare]

[double tabs]path = /shares/myshare

[double tabs]comment =

And the new firmware fill with “double space”

BEGIN ## sharename = myshare

[myshare]

[double space]path = /shares/myshare

[double space]comment =

The new interface can only edit share section with “double space”. So the easy the solution is to edit (at your own risk) the file /etc/samba/overall_share and make modification.

WD Team> Please improve your developpers team. Make test before launch a product.

Hope this post help other WD community users

• *I haven’t had to do a reset since loading the new firmware … has anyone else?