Webinterface not reachable after Firmware Update

Hello,

I bought a empty MyCloud 6TB Chassis and installed my 250GB Disk to a tutorial here.
It works fine, but when I want to upgrade to the newest firmware I can’t reach the Webinterface anymore.
SSH works well. With Firmware version 3.xx there is no problem. I’ve tried to make a factory reset before the update but it doesn’t change anything.

Can anyone give me a .img from his MyCloud with a firmware 4.xx?

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Zuendapp

The Dashboard missing post firmware upgrade after using the unbricking procedure on a My Cloud, especially when replacing the drive, is a known issue that several of us have run into. I document my experience with this issue and my solution to this issue in the following thread.

https://community.wd.com/t/unbrick-then-firmware-upgrade-equals-no-dashboard/136666

The solution for me (and some others) is to fix the GPT table at the start of the unbrick procedure by running a sudo gdisk /dev/sdx command.

Hi,

thank you!
When should I execute this command?
After the firmware update from 3.x to 4.x, or earlier after copying the .img to the new hdd?

Thank you very much!
Best regards

1 Like

See the following post from the previously posted thread that had directions that I used that includes the GTP fix:

https://community.wd.com/t/unbrick-then-firmware-upgrade-equals-no-dashboard/136666/6

See step 2 in those directions.

Hi,

it doesn’t work :(.
I have also tried to make the Firmware Upgrade in steps 3.x - 4.x to the newest. I have fixed the gpt error with your command.

Do i need a big Factory default before upgrading to a newer firmware?

With the first Firmware 3.xx after the unbrick the my Cloud works very well, i don’t Unterstand :((!

Best regards
Zündapp

Generally it is recommended one perform a Quick Restore through the Dashboard after initial unbricking.

In my case the procedure outlined in that thread (and below) is what has worked for me on two different sized hard drives (one was 250GB, the other current drive is 1T). You may want to remove all partitions on the drive first and start from scratch again. The key is to follow what ever unbricking process you use exactly. In my case it was fixing the GTP before doing anything else to the bare drive.

How to unbrick, replace or restore original WD My Cloud single hard drive firmware:

These basic directions assume you have a 4GB or larger USB flash/pen drive, a computer with SATA connectors or some form of external SATA enclosure/docking station, basic knowledge of how to boot PC using a boot disc, basic knowledge of how to use Linux.

Note: Use and proceed at your own risk!!!

• Download original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz to a flash drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVQ2l5MTNvQk1xSUU
• Used Ubuntu Live/Boot CD: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
• To avoid damaging non WD My Cloud hard drives remove or disconnect them from the computer.
• Backup any data on your My Cloud as these directions may result in the erasure of all data on hard drive.  
• Insert USB Flash/Pen drive containing the file original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz (or it's extracted contents) into PC before booting with Linux Live/Boot CD
• All terminal commands run from Root user or Sudo. For purposes of this guide Sudo was used.
• After booting with Live/Boot CD open terminal window by typing: 
[ctrl] + [alt] + [t]
Then type:
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install mdadm parted

To install new/used hard drive start with step 1. 
To repair existing bricked WD My Cloud hard drive start with step 13.

Note: Starting from step 1 will erase hard drive contents. If hard drive contains important data, backup hard drive before proceeding.

1. Find the My Cloud hard drive name (sda, sdb, sdd, sdc, sde, etc.) by typing:
sudo fdisk -l 
or 
sudo parted -l

Note: For these basic directions "sdb" is used. 

2. If you get GTP errors running fdisk or parted then try the following command:
sudo gdisk /dev/sdb

Then type "o" then type "w" to fix GTP errors.

3. Run parted utility:
sudo parted /dev/sdb

4. Type "print" to see what partitions exist on hard drive.

5. If any partitions exist, remove each of them by typing "rm 1" (where 1 - number of partition)

6. Create new table:
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 528M 2576M
mkpart primary 2576M 4624M
mkpart primary 16M 528M
mkpart primary 4828M -1M
mkpart primary 4624M 4724M
mkpart primary 4724M 4824M
mkpart primary 4824M 4826M
mkpart primary 4826M 4828M
set 1 raid on
set 2 raid on

Type "quit" to exit parted.

7. Format data partition:
sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb4

8. Reboot computer, boot back to Linux Live CD. From command line run: 
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install mdadm parted.

9. Run sudo fdisk -l or sudo parted -l and note the drive names just incase the /dev/sd* location changed.

10. Create main RAID partition, type: 
sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2

11. Wait for RAID creation to complete, type:
sudo watch cat /proc/mdstat 

Wait to 100%. Then type:
[ctrl] + [c] for close.

12. Stop auto-loaded raid, type: 
sudo mdadm --stop /dev/md0

If /dev/md0 not found type the following to find RAID mount point: 
sudo ls /dev 
or
sudo grep md

13. Start normal raid (must be /dev/md0), type: 
sudo mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2

14. Using terminal window navigate to USB Flash/Pen drive location. Example: /media/ubuntu/<drive name> If the contents of file original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz have not been previously extracted on the USB Flash/Pen drive, type:
sudo tar xvfz original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz

15. Upload backup images to WD's hdd:
sudo dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb5
sudo dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb6
sudo dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb7
sudo dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb8
sudo dd if=rootfs.img of=/dev/md0

16. A Note: If for what ever reason the My Cloud fails to boot (white LED), or problems with upgrade to newer firmware failing/not working (ex. UI fails to load) try the following alternative step.
sudo mdadm --stop /dev/md0

sudo dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb5
sudo dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb6
sudo dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb7
sudo dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb8
sudo dd if=rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb1
sudo dd if=rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb2

17. Shutdown PC from terminal window by typing: shutdown -p -H 0 Or use "Logout" from menu.

18. Disconnect hard drive from computer/external connector and connect to WD My Cloud circuit board. Then connect power to the My Cloud circuit board to turn on WD My Cloud. Boot process may take 5-10 min or longer. LED light should change from White to Blue.

Note: If the WD My Cloud fails to boot with either a solid white or red LED, then reattach hard drive to PC/docking station, reinsert USB Flash/Pen drive, boot back into Linux, go back to step 13, then proceed to step 16 to push the three "img" files to their respective partitions, shut down PC and try booting the hard drive again with the WD My Cloud circuit board. 
If the drive still fails to boot (white or red LED), the GTP entry probably needs to be repaired. If that is the case try step 2 above to rebuilt the GPT entry (will probably erase drive contents) and then perform the rest of the subsequent steps. If step 2 doesn't work then start from scratch at step 1. Backup any files if needed from sdb4 (the mountable ext4 partition containing the shares) prior to starting from step 1.

19. After WD My Cloud boots to Blue LED, access the Dashboard with web browser (http://wdmycloud/). Proceed through initial access screen then enable SSH on the Settings -> Network -> Network Services section. Often the capacity will be incorrectly listed, fix by selecting Quick Restore (or Quick Factory Restore) from the Settings -> Utilities section. The device will reboot and rebuild the system files.

20. After factory restore has been performed and WD My Cloud boots, restore any settings (like Static IP) as needed and update the firmware if needed. Be patient. If there was existing data on the hard drive it may take the WD My Cloud OS a long time to scan/catalog the files.

Hi,

I tried your tutorial 1:1. The v3.0 works fine but after a fast restore and a firmwareupdate the webinterface is down. I tried a service restart from Apache2 but no chance. I’m helpless :(!

Thank you
Best regards

Hi,

is it possible that the new WD MyClouds have a different Firmwareversion (i.e. 2.x)?

Best regards

Zündapp

is it possible that the new WD MyClouds have a different Firmwareversion (i.e. 2.x)?

Yes. Is your 6TB chassis a ‘Gen2’ MyCloud? If so, it may not be compatible with the v3/v4 firmware releases, since it is different hardware.

Check the product number: it’s likely to have a -01 at the end, e.g.

WDBCTL0060HWT-01

Hi,

I’ll check this later.
So when I could get a running V2 of a MyCloud and copy the .img via “dd” command it should be running?!

Best regards
Zündapp

Yes, the newer My Clouds use a different firmware (v2.x) than the older My Clouds (v3.x and v4.x). One cannot use v2.x firmware on v3.x or v4.x My Clouds and the reverse is also true. The two versions of My Clouds have different hardware.

More suggestions. Install the drive to a Windows PC and remove all partitions on the drive, then repartition the drive with a single partition, then format the drive for Windows. Then try the unbricking process again and run the GTP fix before proceeding with the actual unbrick process.

Hi,

modelname ends with “-10”. Is it a new v2 version?

Thank you very much!

BR
Zündapp

I’m afraid I don’t know. The -01 ending came from the first description of the Gen2 models:

I’m not sure if WD publish device codes anywhere.

Hi,

I had the chance to check o original 2TB WDMyCloud and there are different partitions.

md0, sda1, sda2, sda3, sda4, sda5, sda6, sda7

sda8 is missing, could that be?

I have copied the different partitions but when I compare there are different sizes like in Bennors tutorial, so how I should copy the sda’s`?

Best regards

Zündapp

Hi,

I spoke with the seller of my chassis and he told me the Firmware was 4.0x :(. He bought it in March 16 at the WD Store.

Best regards

Zündapp

What unbricking process are you using?

In the process I used (posted above) one manually creates the partitions (eight of them) at step 6…

mkpart primary 528M 2576M
mkpart primary 2576M 4624M
mkpart primary 16M 528M
mkpart primary 4828M -1M
mkpart primary 4624M 4724M
mkpart primary 4724M 4824M
mkpart primary 4824M 4826M
mkpart primary 4826M 4828M

It is why one has to run the GPT fix first before creating the eight partitions.

Hi,

I’m using your tutorial, but yesterday I had the chance to make a clone of a new 2TB MyCloud V2 and when I mount the image there is a different partition Layout that yours respectively to a V1 model.

Never mind, my modell seems to be a V1 and this idea helps me nothing at all.

Best regards
Zündapp

Here you can see the partition map of a V2 model.

The Data partition is in v2 sda2 and not sda4.

Best regards

You need to figure out which My Cloud version you have, either v2.x or v3.x/v4.x. It seems you flip back and forth on which My Cloud version you think have in this thread unless I’m reading things wrong. My directions were for the v3.x/v4.x My Clouds. I don’t have a v2.x My Cloud so I don’t know its layout/structure or how it would be unbricked.

What is the FULL model name from the bottom of the My Cloud enclosure?

If the previous person bought the My Cloud from WD on March 16, 2016 then its entirely possible they have v2.x but without knowing the full model number its hard to know. Further I would also question the seller why they were selling just the chassis. Was the My Cloud damaged in some way so they sold the chassis but kept the drive?

Another way to try and determine the version is if one is able to unbrick and load the Dashboard with the v3.x firmware, enable SSH and then connect to the My Cloud using SSH. Then run the following two commands via an SSH terminal window:

cat /proc/cpuinfo cat /proc/meminfo

Gen2 (v2.x) will have the following processor and RAM:
Marvell armada 370 (2core, 800MHz)
512 MB Ram

Gen1 (v3.x/v4.x) will have the following processor and RAM:
Mindspeed Comcerto C2000 (2 core, 650MHz)
256 MB Ram

1 Like

Hi,

thank you for your help!
I checked the cpu and it’s a V1 :(.
When I look on the back it’s a WDBCTL0040HWT-00, not a 6TB.
Too bad :(.

Now i have choosen a old Image with version v03.00.03-413. After a full reset I upgradet via SSH to version v03.04.01-230 and after that via SSH to the newest one. Now it works :grinning: but I don’t know why.

Thank you very much and have a nice weekend.

Best regards

Zündapp