WDTV Reset EVERYTHING

The attached is a small set of scripts to reset your WD.

I would guess that quite a few of you have some questions regarding why this is needed or wanted.

The short version is that this script does a better job at resetting the device.

That’s right this is more complete than using the gui, or even the reset button on the bottom of your device

What it does?

It forces the WD to completely recreate the device configuration on the next reboot.

ALL configuration entries will be wiped out. EVERYTHING

This has been a long standing fix for “My WD is acting Weird” or other unexplained behavior in the custom firmware forum for many years, involving multiple generations of WD devices.

And can in some cases fix some serious issues.

– exampe – Bug #3 listed here was fixed for one user, by using this

What it is not?

It is not a cure all and it should not be expect to fix everything.

It does not fix bugs. The only thing it does is reset the device.

Which Devices does this work on?

WDTV Live Streaming [Gen3] (Model number WDBHG70000NBK, WDBGXT0000NBK)

WDTV Media Player [Gen4] (Model number WDBYMN0000NBK, WDBPUF0000NBK)

What is include in the download?

only what is needed to reset the device

homebrew theme containing needed scripts

curl binaries needed to execute them (used by windows .bat files)

and windows batch files

files needed for custom firmware operation have been removed, this package only has the capabilities to reset your device and nothing else

Instructions.

1. download http://www.mediafire.com/download/i51ctcbeqvjkvtk/Reset_WD.zip

2. unzip the file

3. edit device-ip.txt (put only your WD’s IP address - this will fail if you put something else in this file)

4. upload WDLXTV-Homebrewer.zip

this can be done 2 ways - both accomplish the same thing

– upload it as a theme using the web interface

– upload it using the win-homebrew-upload.bat

1. run win-stock-reset.bat

2. reboot your WD

enjoy :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing KAD79. :smiley:

Thanks for sharing this! This is an awesome tool.  I was stuck on last update and this seems to have cleared up some issues going to  2.02.32

you’re welcome

so, I’ve had a couple of request for some more details on what’s happening here

so here goes

first the firmware is actually read only - this tool can’t change or alter the firmware

the device configuration however is stored on a very small writable storage area

so when you upgrade firmware, you keep all your settings

there’s multiple configuration files that are kept for different purposes

some of the service apps create their own configuration files others write new configuration values to the primary file

so when you use the reset button on the device or the reset option in gui

the WD does not erase the configuration, is only tries to write the default values back to the existing files

if there are old settings they are not removed if there are old files that pertain to apps that no longer exist they are not removed

so this tool actually deletes all the configuration files

so when you reboot after using this, the WD has no choice but to create the entire configuration new

I have absolutely no clue how to decipher your resolution.  I would love to be able to however I am sorry to say I am not a igh tech person.  Just a 66 year old retired Fitness and Nutrition Coach woman. :confounded:

what step in the instructions section don’t you understand

Instructions.

1. download http://www.mediafire.com/download/i51ctcbeqvjkvtk/​Reset_WD.zip
  1. unzip the file
  1. edit device-ip.txt (put only your WD’s IP address - this will fail if you put something else in this file)
  1. upload WDLXTV-Homebrewer.zip

this can be done 2 ways - both accomplish the same thing

– upload it as a theme using the web interface

– upload it using the win-homebrew-upload.bat

1. run win-stock-reset.bat
  1. reboot your WD

Thank you, GREATLY!  I had posted an issue on the bulletin board, struggling to find out why my WD TV Live failed to reset properly after a system reset from the bottom of the device.  After some doing, particularly finding the IP address, I loaded this software onto the device and the reset worked like a charm.  Please thank all who had part in this very useful tool.

It seems I’m entering the wrong IP. Where can I find this?

Also, do I have to connect the WD to my laptop to complete the process?

TY in advance.

dutch81 wrote:

Setup > About

dutch81 wrote:

as long as the WDTV is connected to your Home Network you will be able to access it from your laptop (which is also connected to your Home Network)

dutch81 wrote:

TY in advance.

You can find the IP address through the menus (assuming that your WDTV is connected to a network).

SETUP ==> ABOUT

Your IP address will be the top number (the bottom number is the firmware version that you are using).

You don’t connect your WDTV to the laptop.

EDIT:  Joey replied while I was typing.  

Hi

Based on the instructions, it look slike it is a PC based solution?  What if I have a Mac?  can the batch file still run?

Ansj64 wrote:

Hi

Based on the instructions, it look slike it is a PC based solution?  What if I have a Mac?  can the batch file still run?

sorry, you’re on your own for mac

but if you want to put together a mac package, I’m sure somebody will find it useful

Followed the steps, piece of cake. All working well but I noticed that the home screen grid still had all my old buttons. They had to be re-mapped the first time I selected each one but I had expected it to also be reset to whatever default. Not complaining, it was a time-saver this way! 

Thanks KAD.

Got the the IP from the WD Unit, followed directions but am stuck with the win-stock-reset.

IP is correct but it’s not working.

“Reset failure **bleep**!!!”

When I press any key, DOS closes. Please advise?

On Win7, firmware for WD is 2.02.32.

dutch81 wrote:

Got the the IP from the WD Unit, followed directions but am stuck with the win-stock-reset.

IP is correct but it’s not working.

“Reset failure **bleep**!!!”

When I press any key, DOS closes. Please advise?

On Win7, firmware for WD is 2.02.32.

it only displays that message if it failed to delete something in the configuration

it does this to count the remaining files

ls -1 /conf/ | wc -l

if the result is not “0” then you get that message

the only reason I can think of to cause that message is

if you run a custom firmware such as WDLXTV, then sudo is required

but if you are running WDLXTV firmware, then sudo is included and WDLXTV has it’s own tools for doing device resets

(upload WDLXTV-Homebrewer.zip ) it is not clear where to throw

There are two options listed below that line.

1 Like

How can do this if the WD is not connected to a home network? Thank you in advance.

i suppose you could use an ethernet cross-over cable connected directly the ethernet port on your PC ?

if you try that, and the wdtv reports an IP Address (Setup > About) … then it should work