WDTV Live Streaming Firmware Version 2.03.20

Better (very) late than never.
Thanks WD.

1 Like

I wonder if they fixed the MP4 bug ? It’s not it the release notes

They did fix it on the “other” WDTV 1.02.17

• Resolved some .MP4 videos not playing

I don’t have mp4 files, but I could test it, if you give me the download link to a problematic file.

haven’t got any either

but at the time 
 it was completely random which ones worked and which ones didn’t
and they were from various sources 
eg. youtube, internet downloads, home video camera etc.

guess, will have to wait and see user reports

edit: found a sample here (schwurbel’s post with a vimeo link)
you have to use a downloader to get it

Thanks.
Got 2 OVERVIEW_hd.mp4 files from that link.
Both play well, but none is exactly the same size that schwurbel posted.

258 959 474 bytes 1280x544
555 995 281 bytes 1920x816

Maybe Vimeo reencoded the files in the meantime. It’s been 18 months after all. :wink:

This should be the copy I downloaded back then: OVERVIEW_hd
This one is smaller and also should demonstrate if the bug is fixed or not: OVERVIEW_sd

I really hope they fixed the mp4-bug. Would be sad if not.

And hopefully they fixed the bug with the device going haywire once that services-URL stops being available.

The latter one being the more important one as it affects the device as a whole, imho.

Gonna test it later today.

EDIT:
Wow, the archive is quite huge. Almost 300MB.
Somebody at WD forgot to remove the .pkg from the folder before packing.
And wdtvlivegen3.ver says “VERSION=‘3.03.20’”.
Hot off the press.

So 
 if and when they release Rollback Firmware to 2.02.32 it will probably be

4.03.20 or 4.02.32

No, why? The internal version number is 2.03.20.

i was referring to the *.ver file

VERSION=‘3.03.20’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’
ROOTFS2=‘wdtvlivegen3.bi2’

so when WD Release “Rollback Firmware” to 2.02.32 then they will have to change the Version Number to a Higher Number eg.

VERSION=‘4.03.20’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’
ROOTFS2=‘wdtvlivegen3.bi2’

Anyone else have a problem with the time clock being an hour behind? Atleast on Eastern time it is an hour behind what it should be.

@schwurbel
Thanks for the links, both .mp4 files play well.

Looks like the .mp4 files not playing bug is fixed.

@KickAss2k1
I don’t have wdtv connected to the internet and there is no way to input the time.
I had to turn on “Daylight Saving” to have the correct time for my timezone: GMT, UTC.

The version in the .ver-file only has to override the version of the installed kernel/OS, which doesn’t rely on the version in this file.

You can change it to whatever you want, in the end the version-string of the installed firmware is still 2.03.20, and in order to do a rollback, the .ver of the rollback-firmware only has to be larger than 2.03.20.

AFAIK the rollback-files from the WD-website all have set the version in wdtvlivegen3.ver to x+1.y.z, e.g. rolling back to 2.01.86 has 3.01.86 in its .ver-file, which is good enough.
EDIT: 2.01.86-rollback has it set to “VERSION=‘4.01.86’”, so there’s that.

As to the new firmware:

MP4-bug is fixed, and problem of the device being sent into an out-of-memory-situation when the browseapp-URL is not being available seems to be fixed too.
My testing-setup could be faulty, though, although it triggered the bug with 2.02.32.
Next step is to test how it behaves when it doesn’t get a proper IP for the URL at all, e.g. 127.0.0.1 or none at all. 2.02.32 would still have issues with this setup after a day or two.
We’ll see.

Yay, go WD. :joy:

EDIT2:
For rolling back to 2.02.32, if it’s needed:
http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_2.02.32.zip
You’ll have to edit wdtvlivegen3.ver manually.

So guys has anyone flashed the firmware?
what are the bugs if any and what are the good points and bad points
has it still got DLNA and screen cast?
is the online remote working with youtube now?
has the memory leak been fixed

Still has DLNA and Miracast, gradually checking everything out. So far the major find is that the AdRise services are all still in the Services directory, but none of them work any more – I just get “This content is not available in your area” after a really long time with the spinner.

Netflix works okay, looks like the app hasn’t actually been upgraded, though.

1 Like

Has the update cured the freezing/stuttering problems?

Steve W

Thank you for the feedback
I’m hoping that youtube can now use the web remote control and not drop the connection
and that the lock ups are gone
im just about to flash

I’ve notified our developers about this.

Arrggg one thing that they have not fixed is the web browser remote control in youtube (http://192.lan ip/wdtvlive/remote/#)
it works in the box control and Netflix but as soon as you click on youtube it stops sending out the remote and if you have it open it will not control anything
come on WD devs its useful to control from PC

I think the sound is fixed when you open Netflix it has sound at the start and you don’t have to play a hdd video file first now

Hi all, new on the forum. I sent a message to WD 3 days ago about the infamous “This is sharing content from windows” issue and got a reply quite quickly. A few hours later, this new firmware popped up and the problem is completely solved. Is this coincidence? :slight_smile:

Thank you WD, I was forced to use the “internal” Media Library systems for months, which worked, but honestly, streaming from mobile or PC interface (DS Video) is waaay more comfortable.

“This is sharing content from windows” is however still shown when streaming music in the middle of the screen. I suppose this is where the album art is supposed to appear?

Title, artist, album and duration of the song are shown normally, and the songs are playing perfectly. I tested flac, flac-24bit and mp3. The “sharing Windows content” thing is shown for all 3 formats.

Hope this is of any use for eventual future firmware updates.

Cheers y’all!