WD TV Live Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.04.22_V (3/3/11)

This is a limited public beta release version of the firmware. Feel free to install it, but be aware this is beta firmware we are still testing so use it at your own risk. If you are not comfortable with this, please wait for the final version. 

Do not contact customer support for issues found with this firmware.  Rather, post your experiences to this thread.    

WD TV Live Plus Firmware Limited Public Beta Release

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/

Problems during or after firmware upgrade**  **

Before you rollback to an earlier Firmware ( KBA # 5800) or contact Product Support, please try some of these methods to resolve the problem you are experiencing.  Try each method to see if it fixes your issue before progressing to the next method.

The WD TV does not complete firmware upgrade:

1. Retry by using the upgrade FW on a different USB drive. 
  2. Load an earlier FW ( KBA # 5800) onto a different USB drive to downgrade, and then try upgrading again using a different USB drive.
  3. Load an earlier FW ( KBA # 5800) and then try upgrading via online update.

Network specific issues:

1. Redo Network Setup:  Settings/Network Settings/Network Setup.
  2. Clear your Network Shares logins:  Settings/Network Settings/ “Clear login info for Network Share.”  Then re-login.

All issues:  

1. Reset your unit through the user interface: Settings/System/”Reset to factory defaults.”
  2. Hard reset by momentarily pressing a pin in the “Reset” hole on the bottom of the WD TV unit. (This will reset the unit back to defaults without eliminating any media or personal files).
  3. Delete the “.wd_tv” folder from your USB attached Hard Drive using a PC. 
  4. Reattach USB to the WD TV device.
3 Likes

All good with the new firmware.Update goes fine.Autoframerate function works so good.Only 2 requests.

The flac files with 96/192 play as 44/48.So i cant hear the difference in the home cinema with this sample rating.Wd cant passthrough native flacs with 96/192 sampling rate?

And the second request the dts-ma downmixed again in simple DTS.The true-hd audio passthrough correctly via hdmi to the receiver.

Yeah, it’s doubtfult DTS-MA is ever going to be pass-through.   It’s not licensed.  :(

Then i will pass with dts-ma passthrough.But because i have a big collection of flac music why the wd downsampling the flacs from 192 to 48?I have a sony dh800 7.1 receiver.So i think the problem is at wd.If it can passthrough true-hd fine why not flac with high bitrate?

Bill,

Was the VOB stuttering issue resolved?  It was not listed in the release notes.

How about the issue where the screensaver does not start when a video is paused.  Also, not listed in Release notes.

I upgraded. However, I am not getting any audio from any of the video files i have in my hard drive :frowning: All these files used to play properly in the previous FW! Am the only one having this?

Btw, audio does come when play something through the internet apps (flingo etc)

Edit: Did factory reset and audio is back!

Just upgraded from 1.03.49 I’ve been holding off from the last several updates as a result of all the reported problems.

My setup is in my sig…

I am happy to say my initial 30 min testing has been VERY positive.

Smooth playback of all files I tested.

DVD ISO menu navigation was perfect

10Gb+ HD MKV playback from SMB, media server and local USB HD was flawless.

Although there was a bit of studder right after stopping/starting and right after FF/RW on VERY large files. -43GB M2TS of Avatar for example. It seemed to be a buffering issue, because it never lasted more than 1-2 seconds and ONLY after stop/start and FF/RW never during the movie…

Auto frame rate (24 <> 60) worked very well from 1:1 BD m2ts rips.

Leaving the resolution setting to full auto, everything detected correctly.

Dolby Tru HD passthrough (Star Trek) was great.

6.1 DTS EX passthrough from a DTS-MA source (Lord of the Rings) was great -although no DTS-MA passthrough :cry: -probably never…

Thumbnail icons back to the corner where they belong!

Youtube worked great.

That is all I tested so far…

Great work WD! It is obvious a lot of hard work has gone into this release.

Personally I would love to see DTS-MA passthrough one day and a “movie wall” function. But for the current price point this little silent streamer is fantastic …now.

BR

George19855 wrote:

Then i will pass with dts-ma passthrough.But because i have a big collection of flac music why the wd downsampling the flacs from 192 to 48?I have a sony dh800 7.1 receiver.So i think the problem is at wd.If it can passthrough true-hd fine why not flac with high bitrate?

Are you sure? The high sampling rate FLACs we tested passed through just fine in this release.

HDMI Pass through for DTS and ACC is still not working.  To get sound to work through my receiver I still have to set the audio output to Stereo :frowning:

1 Like

im having an issue where digital passthrough(set to hdmi or toslink) outputs pcm to my avreceiver (yamaha 367) instead of ac3,it from what i can tell seems to affect stereo ac3 digital audio formats, however dts and full dolby digital works and is passed through fine .

ive tried a factory reset and no joy,settings are as they should be.

on a positive note auto framerate  seems to be working great

All of you with audio issues:

Make sure you go back and verify the AUDIO SETTINGS.

Mine got bumped to STEREO when it was previously PASSTHROUGH HDMI.   

Just double check.

With WDTV Live Beta 1.04.22_B

TOS Link Optical Output

• Digital TOS Link Audio Output isnt working  anymore in this Beta :slight_smile:

I roled back to 1.4x and Toslink works again.

I tried all and evrything in the Setup also did Factory resets without success.

I tried  Stereo and Optical and Optical without HDMI.

Silence using TOS Link, with all Media

Beside that Major Prob …

Congrats to the new Release.

I tested all and everything Movies AVI Xvid 23,9 29,7 PAL NTSC Bluray Rips , VOB everythings fine here.

Only issues is see  with Auto Framerate is that if your Videos have vary Sources like PAL / NTSC ie Musicvideos and your next Video is NTSC the Video Skips like 3 to 5 Seconds because of the Resolution Autoscan.

If the next Videos PAL it again skips 3 Seconds of the Musicvideo. So everytime a Video next played switches Aspect / Resolution / Framerate you have some seconds of Skips. 

Auto Framerate Issue i found with ISOS

-  DVD9 ISOS with PAL Videos included do now playback in 60 HZ instad of 50if you have autoscan activated.

WMV HD Playback:

• WMV HD Videos are still unable to be fast forwarded more than 4x Speed. Overall Playback stops afterwards .You are warped back to Main Folder which contains the Video.

Full 1080p .MKV files through streaming wireless playing ok now.

Big files kinda hold on the beginning (perhaps Cache issue?).

BUT .MOV files (1080p trailers downloaded) got the old same still frame kinda issue.

Some sound issues found in .AVI files.

For now that´s all I can see.

It´s an improvement though. Good work.     

Tks.

Result after a quick testing:

positve:

-autoframerate seems to work good (thumbs up, very useful)

negative:

-vob-problem not fixed: audio dropouts and/or video dropouts while vob-streaming over smb (some rips are working, but on most of my rips the problems exist. 1.3.49: no vob problems at all)

-hdmi deep-color mode is not working anymore. 12bit isn’t selectable

neutral:

-no problems with hdmi-audio (but my setup was never affected…)

-wasn’t able to test 7.1 throughput

Nehptis wrote:

Bill,

Was the VOB stuttering issue resolved?  It was not listed in the release notes.

How about the issue where the screensaver does not start when a video is paused.  Also, not listed in Release notes.

Guy pointed out in the Live Plus thread that they figured out what was causing it, but are still working on a fix.  I don’t know about the screensaver issue.

@ Guy_K

Are you sure? The high sampling rate FLACs we tested passed through just fine in this release.

I try a lot of flacs with 96/192 sampling rate and in the receiver it shows as LPCM (44/48).I dont know why.Maybe my receiver cant handle the high rate sampling of these flacs?Maybe wd cant passthrough the flacs in their natives resolution?If someone can confirm this.

Bug with option menu still there.

Watch movie (xvid for example and sound in mpeg or something else)  press option, on first icon that allow switch audio channels, it show:

No audio channel

After moving on another icon and back to this - now it show correct info.

It looks like info for this menu doesn’t update at menu call, only after moving in this menu.

Same bug appear incase of zoom icon, when watching some lots of movies one by one (after pressing play on first). On first movie choose zoom 0.9, when player goes to second movies, press option and you will see zoom 0.9, but actualy zoom will be 1x. Movings to another icon and back allow it show correct info.

Just loaded new Beta firmware.

Agree with other posters that Flac 96khz are output to my Sony STDR-2400ES AV amp.

I would have thought that this amp should be able to take 96khz.

Other than that all s fine.

Really like Tunein Radio…not looked at much but a great addition to the network apps.

Sorry…forgot to add that the 96khz flac output to Sony amp as 48khz.

dro666 wrote:

positve:

-autoframerate seems to work good (thumbs up, very useful)

negative:

-hdmi deep-color mode is not working anymore. 12bit isn’t selectable

They are related; 12-bit mode is not available when autoframerate matching.

Not that you get any benefit to 12-bit mode; none of the media you own is distributed in 12-bit, so it won’t look any different in 8-bit or 12-bit.