WD TV Live Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.04.22_V (3/3/11)

Problem with .mts files is still existing. Player can’t synchronize audio and video about 15sec! WD!!! When do You fix it??? Last firmware without this bug was 1.03.42 :cry:

I got the update installed and everything is working great so far. Adding the tunein app was exactly what I asked for!!! THANK YOU WD!!! Now I don’t need an external media server to do this. My larger mkv files seem to stream just fine now. I’ll keep testing but looks great for me so far!

i have annyoing sound if i play mkv file that have Vorbis Audio (broken sound)

p.s: my device (wd tv live hd) version (1.04.17_V)

i hope to be fix :]

Well, VOBs and MKV’s are still stuttering for me - attached storage and SMB. MKVs of all sizes and VOBs that played perfectly before with 1.03.49_V.

Did a hard reset and reset to default. Wouldn’t power on from the remote after powering down from the remote. 

EDIT: It did come on again…but after about 45 seconds. ( I was just off downloading 1.03.49 again and the WDTV live popped on)

Facebook said I didn’t have a network connection despite passing the network settings and succesfully accessing youtube.

Could some problems just occur with the firmware not installing correctly? I noticed in the past that 1.03.49 suttered on VOBs after a downgrade, where it hadn’t happened on that firmware version before. Is it worth reinstalling the firmware again and again to see if I can get all the positive results people are having? I’m a little jealous to be honest…!

(…)WD TV Live Plus Firmware Limited Public Beta Release(…)

The email thread title says “WD TV Live”, but the first post (quoted above) says “WD TV Live Plus”.

Is this new beta firmware for the “Live” or for the “Live Plus”?

The version of this new beta firmware ends with “_V”, so I suspect this is for the “Live” (and not for the “Plus”).

Anyone could please confirm?

Thanks!

dsouza

Is this firmware for the “Live” or for the “Live Plus”?

if you follow the link it brings you to the Live HD page so I’d say it’s a type-o

Gavin wrote:

Is this firmware for the “Live” or for the “Live Plus”?

if you follow the link it brings you to the Live HD page so I’d say it’s a type-o

Indeed! Thanks!

PixelPower wrote:

dro666 wrote:

positve:

-autoframerate seems to work good (thumbs up, very useful)

negative:

-hdmi deep-color mode is not working anymore. 12bit isn’t selectable

They are related; 12-bit mode is not available when autoframerate matching.

Not that you get any benefit to 12-bit mode; none of the media you own is distributed in 12-bit, so it won’t look any different in 8-bit or 12-bit.

I’m a tv salesman. I have hear this thousands of times. Most ppl don’t even see video juddering (exists with 80% of the tv’s I sell, also with the expensive ones). So it’s natural to think that the same “most ppl” don’t notice any difference between 16.7 million and 68.7 b illion colors. :smileyvery-happy:

8-bit = 16.7 million colors
12-bit = 68.7 billion colors

I personally can see it making a huge difference in picture quality.

More colors means more natural skin tones. Some modern tv’s also incorporate color boosting (color processing) way up to 17-bits.

For people who can’t recognize difference between the black and white I usually do this: I put two identical tv models side by side with the same picture settings and then I feed them a different color depth video. At that point most people can say which one is the winner. If not then I could carry a Sony tv on the other side to demonstrate what looks like a 8-bit tv.

I wonder why it’s not possible to use autoframerate and hdmi deep-color at the same time… a technical issue? Or is it just unstable at this time?

The auto-framerate feature requires redoing HDMI handshaking every time you switch refresh rates. At this time, HDMI handshaking with 12 bit color enabled is not as reliable as we’d like, so 12 bit color is not available with auto-framerate mode enabled.

Xtreme wrote:

I’m a tv salesman. I have hear this thousands of times. Most ppl don’t even see video juddering (exists with 80% of the tv’s I sell, also with the expensive ones). So it’s natural to think that the same “most ppl” don’t notice any difference between 16.7 million and 68.7 b illion colors. :smileyvery-happy:

Yep; your math is right, but  there’s no media that will send those additional 68.6 billion colors.   They’re all still 8-bit.

Doesn’t matter if the extra 12 bits are there if there’s nothing to fill them… :wink:

Toslink / Optical Audio is still not working anymore with this Beta.

Non Online Media , None everything Audio Output.

:frowning:

I tested a bit more roled back to 1.2x, 1.3x before installing the new one 1.04.22_V , also unplugged cables and power and did resets.

MY WD says Part Number :  WDAAP0000NBK

I am expecting a 1.04.23 Beta to be out :slight_smile:

I want my Audio back. First that mess with HDMI Audio distortions on LG LED Tvs and now i was so happy to have a blast beta firmware with the autoframerate and now optical Audio is dead lol.

:wink:

Xtreme wrote:

PixelPower wrote:

Not that you get any benefit to 12-bit mode; none of the media you own is distributed in 12-bit, so it won’t look any different in 8-bit or 12-bit.

I personally can see it making a huge difference in picture quality.

More colors means more natural skin tones. Some modern tv’s also incorporate color boosting (color processing) way up to 17-bits.

For people who can’t recognize difference between the black and white I usually do this: I put two identical tv models side by side with the same picture settings and then I feed them a different color depth video. At that point most people can say which one is the winner. If not then I could carry a Sony tv on the other side to demonstrate what looks like a 8-bit tv.

Needless to say, I won’t be buying a TV from you.  ;)

Media is distributed in 8-bit.  Interpolating to 12-bit doesn’t magically replace missing data, it changes the image (usually saturating it, which looks great in a TV showroom I’m sure; “hey, that looks brighter, AWESOME!”) and then you’re at the mercy of the device doing the interpolating and how the TV interprets what it’s eventually sent.

I’d rather stick with 8-bit and know that the image I’m seeing is how it’s meant to be.  When media starts being distributed in 12-bit, I’ll turn on 12-bit.  That’s gives WD a good 5 years or so to fix it.  :)

Many people are running an HDMI cable from their WD TV LIve to their Receiver.  The problem is that DTS and ACC are not passing through when the audio output is on “Digital Pass-Through”.  To get audio to play from those movies I would have to set it to “Stereo”.  But that defeats the purpose because I have a surround sound system and not a 2-Channel system.

1 Like

Azumi wrote:

Toslink / Optical Audio is still not working anymore with this Beta.

Non Online Media , None everything Audio Output.

:frowning:

I tested a bit more roled back to 1.2x, 1.3x before installing the new one 1.04.22_V , also unplugged cables and power and did resets.

MY WD says Part Number :  WDAAP0000NBK

I am expecting a 1.04.23 Beta to be out :slight_smile:

I want my Audio back. First that mess with HDMI Audio distortions on LG LED Tvs and now i was so happy to have a blast beta firmware with the autoframerate and now optical Audio is dead lol.

:wink:

What audio codecs are you trying to play? What model receiver do you have?

Movies , Videos , Audios , all kind of Codecs 

Nothing works anymore.

No Audio at all.

Every other WD Live Firmware gives a perfect Optical Audio Output beside the new Beta.

I have a 

Yamaha RX V367 AV-Receiver

and a

Harman Kardon AVR 142 AV-Receiver

Both WD TV Live are connected via Toslink /Optical

also tried a Digital / Analog Converter on another 

Pioneer AV 109 Hi-Fi Receiver

which works flawless usually with the WD Live with all Firmwares except the new Beta.

If i rollback Firmwares Toslink sure works again. HDMI Audio also works but as mentioned entirely distorded on my LED /LCD TVs , that why i chose Toslink Optical because it sounds beautiful.

Have you tried resetting your WDTV?

Yes i tried resetting uncabeling , every possible WD Setup Configs.

I have two WD live on both i do have the same Issues.

Its European Models.

I also installed all available Firmwares before installing the new Beta without any success.

Once i do install the atm official 1.4 , 1.3 , 1.2 Optical Audio works perfect again.

Azumi, in your previous message you said everything works EXCEPT the new beta. Then in your last message you said NONE of the previous versions worked. Which is it? What is the LAST version that works?

12 bit deep colour not work with the autoframerate enabled.

Can we expect to new firmwares to fix the ogg vorbis audio in some mkv files?

For example in dragonball kai 720p releases all have vorbis audio.And all the time i have sync problems in audio.

kkuba wrote:

Problem with .mts files still exists. Player can’t synchronize audio and video about 15sec! WD!!! When do You fix it??? Last firmware without this bug was 1.03.42 :cry:

I have so many video clips for my Sony HD camcorder. I have to stay with 1.03.4x as long as this audio/video synch issue is not resolved with .mts files.

WD, please fix the issue in 1.04.23 before the official firmware is released!:cry:

BTW: I have a WD TV Live and a WD TV Live Plus. The issue exists in both units.