WD TV Live Hub Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 2.04.13 (3/3/11)

This is a limited public beta release version of the firmware. Feel free to install it, but be aware this is beta firmware we are still testing so use it at your own risk. If you are not comfortable with this, please wait for the final version. 

Do not contact customer support for issues found with this firmware.  Rather, post your experiences to this thread.  

WD TV Live Plus Firmware Limited Public Beta Release

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlivehub_limitedpublicbetarelease/

Problems during or after firmware upgrade**  **

Before you rollback to an earlier Firmware (KBA # 5800) or contact Product Support, please try some of these methods to resolve the problem you are experiencing.  Try each method to see if it fixes your issue before progressing to the next method.

The WD TV does not complete firmware upgrade:

1. Retry by using the upgrade FW on a different USB drive. 
  2. Load an earlier FW (KBA # 5800) onto a different USB drive to downgrade, and then try upgrading again using a different USB drive.
  3. Load an earlier FW (KBA # 5800) and then try upgrading via online update.

Network specific issues:

1. Redo Network Setup:  Settings/Network Settings/Network Setup.
  2. Clear your Network Shares logins:  Settings/Network Settings/ “Clear login info for Network Share.”  Then re-login.

All issues:  

1. Reset your unit through the user interface: Settings/System/”Reset to factory defaults”
  2. Hard reset by momentarily pressing a pin in the “Reset” hole on the bottom of the WD TV unit. (This will reset the unit back to defaults without eliminating any media or personal files)
  3. Delete the “.wd_tv” folder from your USB attached Hard Drive using a PC.  Reattach USB to the WD TV

3 Likes

Bill, the posted link is for LIVE+ Code, not Live Hub.

You’re still running behind me.

WOW, Great news i was just about to turn in for the night and along comes this beta firmware !!!

Going to give it a quick test before i go to bed

WOW squared.

This is an impressive update.

NOTE TO ALL:   Repeat the SETUP!   There are SUBSTANTIAL changes to the AUDIO setup section, and in my case, it went back to STEREO on the first boot-up.   I had to repeat the AUDIO setup which is when I discovered all the new settings.   7.1 audio??  AWESOME!!!

Undocumented Fix:   The TITLE tag in XML is now recongized and shows properly in the Gallery view.   It’s still not SEARCHABLE, but this is a good start!

Also, the Gallery View now has the RATING and FAVORITE icons now showing, so the THEME editors among you may have to tweak settings.

Thanks for the new services esp the new Tune In Radio app, funny thing i just downloaded it to my android phone and was thinking just how great an app it is …

Also Noticed Gallery View now has the RATING and FAVORITE icons showing luckily i had just moved them in my theme update today.

Yes true Tony The Title Tag is recognised in Gallery so if you edit this field manually the changes are immediate. However it is also searchable…Press the magnifying glass on the remote and you can search by Title, Director or Actor.

Since i have never tried to do this before i wouldn’t know if this was a new feature or was always there

Only 1 small disappointment is that the metadata is still not recognised when you have media inside folders…

Shame as i really wish this feature could be added back as it worked in previous firmware

Will have to look more into other features tomorrow

The RN’s say that the “Clear Login Info” bug has been fixed.  But it hasn’t; it’s only been changed.  ;)

Previously, if one did a CLEAR LOGIN INFO, it wouldn’t ask you for the new User ID and Password until you rebooted the box.

Now, it WILL ask you for the new login and password the next time you visit the share, but it still won’t change shares if different credentials are entered compared to what was previously given.

In other words:

Browse around.

Do CLEAR LOGIN INFO.

Hub still shows the content available to User ID A.

Reboot the box.

Now the Hub will show the content available to User ID B.

extremedigital wrote:

However it is also searchable…Press the magnifying glass on the remote and you can search by Title, Director or Actor.

…nope…  Not working for user-provided XML.   It’s only working for items fetched via Get Content Info. :wink:

Is HDMI CEC interfacing up and running in this release?

Argus wrote:

Is HDMI CEC interfacing up and running in this release?

No.

TItle tag in Gallery View is still not working properly.  It will jump from the file name to the metadata title.

When you first select on the movie, it will first display the file name, then show the Title name.  This also slowing scrolling.

Also, for Videos, the other views (List View, Preview View, etc.) show the file name & extension rather than the Title name.

And in Gallery View, it still does not display Cover Art for folders in the metadata plane.

1 Like

Uh. Is this at all intended to be implemented? I would appreciate the answer.

For me it is ok, but for my parents absence of basic CEC features is a big limitation of their user experience. (we have 2 WDTVLiveHub’s)

for the beta tester

deezer is available only with paid account or free account?

• a little bit disappointed for non implementation of goodies for non english countries users.

• which live hub ideas are really added ?

thank you

Is the HDMI-Power still up while in Standby Bug fixed in this Release?

before i try this, does the gallery view work with media library turned off?

if that is the case, that will be awesome!

Tinwarble wrote:

TItle tag in Gallery View is still not working properly.  It will jump from the file name to the metadata title.

When you first select on the movie, it will first display the file name, then show the Title name.  This also slowing scrolling.

TW:   I noticed that, too.   

It appears the ONLY place the Title Tag is now being used is purely for display in the Gallery Browser and “View Info” task.

The Title and other metadata still isn’t being added to the Media Library, and thus these still don’t work:

– Title display everywhere else (including the PLAYBACK screen)

– Metadata Searchability

– Title SORTING  (they’re still being sorted by FILE NAME regardless of the title.)   Some people might actually prefer this behavior, becuase they could name the file “01 First Movie”  and TITLE IT  “The First Movie” and thus it would sort the way they prefer (without the THE).   But I don’t like it…  I want it sorted by Title, not file name.

I’m hoping this is just a warmup throw…  and that it will continue to get better as the game moves on.   :slight_smile:  

Considering that the WDTV Live Hub is (as far as I know right now) STILL the only Media Player appliance that even ALLOWS user metadata, WD is still leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.    Boxee is catching up, though…  They say in JIRA that they’re working on full NFO support right now, and should have it out in a few more releases.

Yes, the lack of FOLDER art in the GV is still gnarly…   I’m actually hoping for a “FOLDER.XML” support.

This release fixed several issues that were irritating me.

• Dolby Digital Plus now outputs as Dolby Digital Plus.  Possible issue with audio dropping but more testing needed.
  • AAC 5.1 is downmixed to stereo for non-AAC receivers.  This is better than silence.  Converting to PCM 5.1 would be better.
  • Dolby Digital now bitstreams correctly from MP4 and M4V containers.  This makes sharing videos between WD TV and Apple devices a possibility.  Previously, I had to use MKV for everything just to get surround sound, which won’t play on my iPad satisfactorily.

Deezer and Flingo are nice additions. I liked them on the Live / Plus and they’re good here too.

TuneIn Radio is really neat, especially being able to find and play local radio easily.  

So far, it seems to be a pretty solid release… 

Hi,

Can you tell me if this beta fixes the problem where sometimes it shows the extension in the movie name? i.e.: .mkv?

I have reverted back to an older version for the time being as per the forum.

Thanks

Phil

VERY HAPPY!!! Sound on all formats! thank you WD, this was what I was waiting for, best box available now and am glad I have recommended to friends and family, you really do listen to your customers, thank you again.

2 Likes

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Considering that the WDTV Live Hub is (as far as I know right now) STILL the only Media Player appliance that even ALLOWS user metadata, WD is still leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.    Boxee is catching up, though…  They say in JIRA that they’re working on full NFO support right now, and should have it out in a few more releases.

Yes, the lack of FOLDER art in the GV is still gnarly…   I’m actually hoping for a “FOLDER.XML” support.

I think that Xtremer does allow user metadata, but I’m not completely sure about that. 

Another thing is that it doesn’t allow for png transparency for foler & cover art, and even though pngs will show up in the scroll plane, they do not show up as the larger coverart for the gallery view.

Also, it is like trying to pull teeth to get folder icons (folder.jpgs) to change.  This seems to be a problem with internal caching.  You can delete the icon, but when you put a new folder.jpg in the folder it will not display the new one. 

After trying everything, the only solution that I found was to reflash the firmware, that was the only way the new icon would display.