WD MyCloud 2TB which external USB drive?

Hi

I’m just using couple of weeks WD My Cloud 2 TB and I have decided it would be better to make an safepoint backup.

Currently I have external 300 GB USB drive which seems to be to small therefore I need to buy another one.

I thought to buy exactly the same capacity as WD it means 2 TB and make mirror copies.

Can you reccomnd some USB ext drive worth to be bought ? General issue is if I should select USB drive with separate power supply or more expensive one powered by WD My Cloud USB port ? It is work then ? I mean if WD My Cloud USB port has enough power to run such big external USB disk ?

One more question regarding safe points.

•  If I setup regular updates is current safe point overwritten or is it new one created ?

• Are the files visible and usabel on other PC on backup disk or it is special format preapred by WD my cloud ? What about access rights as if I can create just 1:1 copy not selecting shares how to prevent it on USB backup ?

Thanks for help

Jacek

I’d recommend a self-powered hard drive. This will allow for the unit to work with a certain level of independence in case of a power issue that affects your WD My Cloud.

With regards to your other inquiries:

1. It will keep a single snapshot that syncs data unless you create a new Safepoint using a different name.

2. You can manually see the content of your Safepoint in /sharename/_WDPROT/WDSAFE/name of safepoint created. However, the actual restoration process needs to be handled by the WD My Cloud itself since the information will be imported to the WD My Cloud.

1 Like

Hi Trancer

thanks so much

"2) You can manually see the content of your Safepoint in /sharename/_WDPROT/WDSAFE/name of safepoint created. However, the actual restoration process needs to be handled by the WD My Cloud itself since the information will be imported to the WD My Cloud.

"

so if WD My cloud completely fail I can connect backup external USB to PC and restore files manually ?

It is great then

BTW do I really need additional SW - WD SmartWare if I setup cration of Safepiont and updates in WD My Cloud administration panel ?

Best regard

Jacek

smartware is for backing up computers on the LAN to the mycloud. safepoint is for backing up the mycloud

1 Like

Ok great so I need to backup only WD My Cloud storage so no additional SW required as I understand

BR

Jacek

Correct. I use the PCs as the primary files and use smartware to back them up to the mycloud and I don’t use safepoint at all

if the mycloud is primary then you need safepoint or some other methode to back it up.