Safe point question

Hi,

Newbie posting for first time, here…:smiley:

I am trying to make my first safepoint backup for my new WD My Cloud (4TB capacity) drive.

Can you tell me the required file size to create the safepoint with 2.1TB of data currently on my WD Cloud?

I tried a using a blank 8GB 2.0 USB but it failed and the WD dashboard informs me it needs a larger disc to complete the safepoint. I am trying to avoid use of clunky external drives for this purpose and would much prefer to use a small USB stick dedicated for the safepoint task alone.

Any knowledge or wisdom on this topic will be much appreciated.
I just wanna add that I am really pleased with my purchase & performance of my new WD My Cloud product so far. :heart:

Thanks,
dubu22 

Hi there, welcome to the community.

The way that the safepoint works is that it creates a complete image or snapshot of the drive, you will need at least a hard drive with 2.1 TB free at the moment, I would recommend to get a 4 TB drive for your safepoints, you can also use another My Cloud.

2 Likes

dubu22 wrote:

Hi,

Newbie posting for first time, here…:smiley:

I am trying to make my first safepoint backup for my new WD My Cloud (4TB capacity) drive.

Can you tell me the required file size to create the safepoint with 2.1TB of data currently on my WD Cloud?

I tried a using a blank 8GB 2.0 USB but it failed and the WD dashboard informs me it needs a larger disc to complete the safepoint. I am trying to avoid use of clunky external drives for this purpose and would much prefer to use a small USB stick dedicated for the safepoint task alone.

WD safepoint creation does not compress My Cloud contents. To achieve hands off safepoint creations you will need a drive with at least as much capacity as the data stored on My Cloud. In my case I purchased a 3tb Mycloud and a 4tb My Book which is always connected. I schedule safepoint creation and updates at 3am to insure no activity.> You might be able to use a third party compression / backup to acomplish your stated goal, but the time might be excessive to compress TB into GB.

1 Like