WD My Cloud EX4 - iSCSI

Hello, i purchased 2 of these WD My Cloud EX4 units (8 TB), one for storage and one to BACKUP / MIRROR the first.

Because of Windows Server 2012 and some applications i need to run from that server, the applications cannot see / support the network drive. That is a technical issue that doesnt really concern users of this group but thought i would give some background.

The way i have overcome the application problems, is that the Primary WD EX4 box i have setup as iSCSI and then Windows Server 2012 connects to this, thus i use it as a hard disk to the server. This has been split into 3 partitions (D,E,F). This all works well and is very fast.

However, i now want to use the 2nd WD EX4 box to backup the first, but the BACKUP tasks inside the web tools of My Cloud EX4 wont show me the 1st drive in its iSCSI mode / environment, and therefore i cannot choose which “drives” i want to copy / backup.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Hello,

AFAIK, you wont be able to see the iSCSI unit since will be virtually mounted.

Perhaps, some of the users can provide you some info about that.

JohnWinward wrote:

Hello, i purchased 2 of these WD My Cloud EX4 units (8 TB), one for storage and one to BACKUP / MIRROR the first.

Because of Windows Server 2012 and some applications i need to run from that server, the applications cannot see / support the network drive. That is a technical issue that doesnt really concern users of this group but thought i would give some background.

The way i have overcome the application problems, is that the Primary WD EX4 box i have setup as iSCSI and then Windows Server 2012 connects to this, thus i use it as a hard disk to the server. This has been split into 3 partitions (D,E,F). This all works well and is very fast.

However, i now want to use the 2nd WD EX4 box to backup the first, but the BACKUP tasks inside the web tools of My Cloud EX4 wont show me the 1st drive in its iSCSI mode / environment, and therefore i cannot choose which “drives” i want to copy / backup.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Your iSCSI image is hidden and the only way to see it is to use SSH.

Volume_1/.systemfile/iscsi_images/iSCSI.img  (/mnt/HD/HD_a*/.systemfiles/…)

That WD backup from the WebUI is good for you to backup your data to another NAS/USB/Clous server

Hi

i understand your comments about the iSCSI image being a hidden volume and must be referred to as

Volume_1/.systemfile/iscsi_images/iSCSI.img  (/mnt/HD/HD_a*/.systemfiles/…)

but how am i supposed to ENTER this into the WD EX4 box on either the MASTER or the SLAVE unit WEB GUI. I simply want the 2nd EX4 box to synchronise against the 1st one.

i could in theory simply make the 2nd box an iSCSI target and then ADD this as a drive to the Windows Server 2012, along with the current one and then use “replication” inside Windows, but the whole idea of using the WD EX boxes was that they could do it themselves?

Any help / guidance much appreciated.

I don’t think that what you are asking can be done.  I had hoped for a simple backup of the *.img files, which is what the ISCSI LUNs are, to a USB attached 4tb drive but no they are not visible to the WD backup utility.  I ended up using backup software on my 2012r2 boxes, to backup the contents of the ISCSIs to the USB drive.  You could also copy the contents over, from inside Windows, to an ISCSI LUN on another device if you don’t want to have to do restores, but backing up or copying the LUN using the WD backup feature is not supported.

Hi John,

I wonder if you have time to SSH into the device and run some information gathering commands?

uname -a

lsmod

cat /etc/os-release

If so, thank you!