New here, and really hope you can support me. Upfront, I apologize for the long first post.
I own a WD My Cloud 3TB. Now all of a sudden I cannot access it anymore.
When checking the device I noticed the blue flashing LED at the front of the device, so I immediately started to investigate what this could be.
I found that the Western Digital webpages state that the device is either booting up, doing a firmware update, or performing a file check.Booting up the system is unlikely, as it is in this state for many days already. Performing a file check can be (it is making some noise) but is going on for many days as well. Considering the many days I don’t expect a Firmware update either as II don’t think this is normal behavior?
What I tried / found out already is:
- Both the 4 and 40 sec reset don’t work to resolve this behavior, the blue light keeps flashing. According to the 40 sec reset instructions, the device starts booting again after releasing the reset button. In my case I think it starts booting up immediately when plugging in the power cable, however not sure if it reboots again when the reset button is released. Not sure if this is correct?
- The WD My Cloud does not seem to connect to the network. It is not showing up in my router and it is not showing up in the app Fing either.
- UTP cable I used to connect the device to my router is working, I tried different other UTP cables, different other machines, and different ports on the router which all work perfectly in all combinations. So it’s really the device that can’t seem to get on the network.
- I tried powering it on before plugging the UTP cable and visa versa, which makes no difference.
- DHCP was set enabled before this behavior, and is reset to enabled by doing the 40 sec reset, so to me this means that the WD My Cloud does not has a static IP that is causing this error.
- I tried removing the firewall settings from my router, which did not help either.
- WD My Cloud 3 TB was purchased end of July 2016, serial starting with # WCC.
- To the best of my knowledge the Firmware updates were not pushed automatically, but I am not sure if that’s true.
3 .Latest firmware version according to the My Cloud IOS app, is 2.30.193, but I am not sure if that is correct as I don’t have access anymore using the app either, with some luck I could find a tab that still listed this version.
What I have not tried yet:
- Connect the WD My Cloud to my laptop directly with a UTP cable, however I believe this only works when having a static IP set on both devices. I can’t change that anymore on the WD My Cloud, so this does not seem to be an option.
- Last resort I now see is removing the case, detaching the hard drive. and trying to link it to my laptop using a SATA/USB connector, and then using DiskInternals Linux Reader (as I believe its a Linux drive?) to see if I can access the files again.
Did anyone else tried that option or has any other solutions that I can try? I would like to avoid the last one as I am not that technical, but if its the only option forward of course happy to try.
Looking forward to your feedback.