WD My Cloud - Blue light flashing

Thanks for step by step instructions on how to recover from blinking blue light.

But the firmware did not upgrade in the last step. After applying for firmware upgrade it keeps spinning for ever. See attached.

How can I upgrade the firmware or restore the firmware to any known good version first

I am using WD clout Gen2. I am able to boot from USB and telnet to it. (SSH does not work yet). I saw some posts talking about #/usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh. But I am unable to find /usr/local/sbin folder and also the scripts mentioned here.

OK, I was able to unbrick my Gen 2 mycloud but wonder if the procedure is the same for the Gen 1 mycloyud (aside from the 4.xx.xx firmware file)?

Anybody done this with the gen 1 mycloud?

See the reply to your other post where you asked this question. Generally the procedure and files used to unbrick a first gen are different than that used on a second gen.

I’ve got the same situation as you, where my firmware version is blank. Followed the direction from Fox-exe but to no avail.

Where’s this post you’re speaking of, I will have a look if I can work something out from there, else, the next step will be a teardown.

Don’t remember. You can google with updateFirmwareFromFile.sh and wdcloud. You will find them. I am still stuck on this. Please update if any leads

I am having the same problem since this morning. My question is if i have a wd dl4100 on raid 5, can i do adimahluf solution if the device is on raid 5?

Thanks

rgotten

There is a lot of greek here spoken to a non programmer. How do you determine if your mycloud is gen1 or gen2 when you can’t access to see what firmware is in the device?

I have the rapidly flashing blue light, I tried contacting WD, but they do not reply. I wish the instructions where a bit simpler or more descriptive to someone who knows very little about command line. My problem began with a firmware upgrade, it never stopped flashing. I let if flash for over a week with no change.

I would pay WD to repair, but as I mentioned they don’t bother to reply.

I have the same question.

where do you down load the ‘usbrecovery.tar.gz’ file from

From user Fox_exe’s single bay Gen 2 My Cloud repository:
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/

Once USB plugged in an powered how do you get to the prompt screen to enter the lines of code. I’ve got the IP address of the WD drive but unsure what was done to get the screen with ‘/#’

Thanks

Watch the video that was posted. It explains at about the three minute and 22 second mark they used Putty to Telnet into the My Cloud on port 23.

PuTTY: a free SSH and Telnet client
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

HI I cant read the commands that need to be put in Putty, please can someone post the commands

Did you manage to upload the firmware? I am stuck at the same point.
Thanks!

Does anybody know if there is a Mac fix for this or how to get the files for Mac so I can attempt it

I just tried to upgrade my_cloud (part number: wdbctl0040hwt) to the latest firmware (today) and it ended up in a blinking blue light as everyone here reported. I used your video to try and restore and everything worked as described (telnet into the device performing the commands) and when I rebooted the device (# reboot -f), the device started up, blinked blue for a short time, then flashed red and went blank. Nothing after that. It did not show up anywhere even though the network connection was blinking in the back. I let it stay like this for 30 minutes - nothing.
Any suggestions what’s going on?
thanks

I hope this helps others with the PR4100 flashing blue power light.
I have had this issue twice over the years and the solution for me both times was to replace the Memory. I did everything under the sun the first time I had the issue to fix it. Including spending a great deal of time on the phone with support. I finally gave up and ordered a new system. I wanted to get my upgraded 16 gig ram from the faulty system, and install it in the new system. When I did, the new system had the same response as my original system. Flashing blue power light. I installed the ram from the new system in my old system, and my old system powered right up without issue. I am using the Crucial RAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz. If you have upgraded your ram, and having this issue, try putting your original ram back in. If you have your original ram in still, try replacing it. I hope this helps. It may take a few restarts to get it going after replacing the ram.