WD DX4000 Sentinel Recovery Disc

need to see the log file from the recreate middle step

If you mean recreate my storage then here it is…or do you want the WHOLE thing :wink:
Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: MININT-BJPVPT0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

Partition ### Type Size Offset

Partition 1 System 100 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Reserved 128 MB 101 MB
Partition 3 Primary 60 GB 229 MB
Partition 4 Primary 1802 GB 60 GB
Data partition letter is: D

2017.01.03 14:16:30 - INFO - Created Data Partition flag file at ‘D:\wdrec_datapart.txt’
2017.01.03 14:16:30 - INFO - X:\windows\system32\ServerRecovery.exe
2017.01.03 14:16:30 - INFO - Started MS server recovery

I’m not sure if I have seen a post on this question. “If” i have a backup on my DX4000 and have to replace the drives, will the iso software see the raw system and restore the backup?

if you look around this forum you will find at least a couple of threads which explain how to force the DX4000 to migrate from Raid 1 to Raid 5 (not done automatically). Most likely it is the same problem why yours is not migrating to Raid 1

Look over this thread. Same error, bad ISO download.

And yes if you have a windows server backup of a good unit, you can use the bottom step to restore from a backup

I have a question. If I take one of my 2 drive units and pull one out and replace it hoping the raid 1 rebuilds, could I take the drive I took out and put it in another unit along with another drive and have it rebuild? Sounds silly, but…

Back to downloads. As I mentioned, while the hashes match with each download, they don’t match the hash on the WD download page. I would think if the downloads are bad they wouldn’t be exactly the same bad each time.

I just had a thought. Maybe those that “have” gotten good downloads could offer offering then via flash drives. I would certainly provide a flash drive and pay for shipping :wink:

Anyone have files size data on the three PANAM 1.5.5.17 server recovery USB os.swm files?

Any reason I don’t see a backup drive when I plug into the USB ports?

on the server? Windows explorer may not give it a letter. Look in diskmgmt.msc to be sure

yes, tried the diskmgmt, but not there. I notice that the Action options to refresh, rescan are gray’d out ;-( This in on one that I have been using for a while.

Just for grins :wink: I pulled out the 4 Raid 5 drives and put them in the one I have be trying to recovery. And guess what the USB ports came up. I guess that unit has a defect how nice.

OK, I thought I saw an option to backup the server and there are instructions to back it up, but I do not see them ;-(

If it is RAID 5 as in over 2tb you cannot back it up with Windows Server Backup because it is over the 2tb limitation. WD has a script in their setup to remove server Backup from the dashboard.
You can still get to it by tapping start and type Backup. Click Windows Server Backup. I dunno, maybe you can backup just c:\ and system, but I thought not

I kept my box with just two, 2tb in raid 1 so I could back it up

Will this be the same backup the the recovery will be looking for and will update the Backup Status in the DashBoard?

Never noticed if the backup updates in the dashboard, but it is the one that works with the recovery thumb drive

Thanks, since it currently has less then 2TB and see where I go from there :wink: Although the next one coming should be a clean 2TB. Since sice is not an issue :wink: worse case I’ll use a small tower server with the drives and essential license, but…

I have bought like five Thecus units. Ebay and new egg open box. the W2000 I have an average cost under $200 each. That is a 2bay with a 60gb ssd and essentials 2012R2

That is they way to go. Use ANY hard drive

Well, I got lots of drives from theses units. I was checking the units in the field and the ones I have here. Some have version 1.7.x.x and some have 1.5.x.x. I notice that checking for updates results in none. Short of recovery, is there a way to update the software?

that web archive link above has a link for just the firmware