WD 4TB my cloud doesn't work with wifi

I have WD 4TB My Cloud Personal Network attached storage - NAS - WDBCTL0040HWT - NESN. It can only get connected to my pc through home wifi for at most 10 minutes. Then it stops work automatically. I have to disconnect and reconnect the WD storage power and wait for another 10 minutes for it to get back to work on my pc. Anyway I can fix it by myself? Thanks - Rachel

What firmware version is your My Cloud using?
What error message are you seeing on your computer when the My Cloud “stops work automatically”?
What color is the My Cloud front LED when you can access the My Cloud, and what color is that same front LED when you cannot access the My Cloud?
Can you access the My Cloud Dashboard when the “stops work automatically”?
When the My Cloud “stops work automatically”, does the local network router or gateway still show it as connected (or having obtained an IP address)?
Is the My Cloud directly connected to the local network router/gateway? Or is it connected using some other method like power line adapter or mesh node?
Does the My Cloud Dashboard diagnostics indicate any sort of an error or problem?
Does the alert icon in the My Cloud Dashboard indicate any sort of problem or issues?

Please see the answers below:

What firmware version is your My Cloud using? ***FW version 2.30.165
What error message are you seeing on your computer when the My Cloud “stops work automatically”? ***no error message, just can not access anymore.
What color is the My Cloud front LED when you can access the My Cloud, and what color is that same front LED when you cannot access the My Cloud? ***Both are Blue
Can you access the My Cloud Dashboard when the “stops work automatically”? ***no
When the My Cloud “stops work automatically”, does the local network router or gateway still show it as connected (or having obtained an IP address)? ***Yes, pinged IP and it works both when I can and can not connect to MyCloud
Is the My Cloud directly connected to the local network router/gateway? Or is it connected using some other method like power line adapter or mesh node? ***connected directly through ethernet cable.
Does the My Cloud Dashboard diagnostics indicate any sort of an error or problem? Dashborad is not available when MyCloud stops working. After I disconnect the power and reconnect the power to mycloud, it doesn’t show any error except “power loss”.
Does the alert icon in the My Cloud Dashboard indicate any sort of problem or issues? *** No. See the answer above

Thanks!

V2.30.165 firmware? That is very old firmware from 04/12/2017. If you can access the My Cloud Dashboard you should try to update the firmware to 2.42.115, then update to the OS5 5.26.119 firmware. Not sure you can jump from the old 2.30.165 firmware straight to the current 5.26.119 firmware. Direct firmware links if you want to manually update the firmware through the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings section.

Firmware Release 2.42.115 (1/18/2022): https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/My_Cloud_GLCR_2.42.115.bin

Firmware Release 5.26.119 (1/5/2023): https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/WDMyCloud_5.26.119_prod.bin

Other troubleshooting suggestions. Perform a 40 second reset if you haven’t done so already. Sometimes the 40 second reset can fix weird My Cloud issues.

My Cloud OS 3 Pin Reset and System Only Restore a Single Bay My Cloud Device
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/24022

Or if you can access the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Utilities section, perform a System Only restore.

Thank you! When I tried to update the firmware, it asked me to backup the contents in the hardware. It is hard to do it now since the device stops working often. do you know what is the chance I will lose the data by updating the firmware? should I take the risk? Thanks,

This is NOT a new device. The data should be backed up as a first order of business. . .no matter how you proceed after that.

When you say it drops wifi. . . .do you have the same behavior if the PC is wired into the network?

Regardless of you answer. . . if you are transmitting VAST amounts of data from the NAS to an external HDD attached to you PC . . . .you want to do that with a wired connection to your router. (for both better stability, and higher speed)

These days, few laptops have ethernet jacks. . .however, it is not hard to find a USB hub/docking station that has an ethernet port (which basically makes the hub a docking station). Docking stations tend to be a tad pricier because they also tend to have VIDEO output.

For lower cost, you can get a USB network adapter fairly easily.

Example of a USB-C docking station from Dell
Example of a USB-A docking station from Dell
Example of a USB-C Wired Network adapter from Dell

(The above links are all dell products - - - -but there are lots of other vendors for this stuff)
(and cheaper sources even for the products I linked to above)

Can the new OS case you to lose data?

If this is an old V2 Single Disk Mycloud - - → I would say the odds of data and/or device loss are NOT zero. (this is why you need data backup)

After going to OS/5, if you want internet connectivity with WD servers. . . the device will index all the media on the drive. This is a Non-zero risk activity for the drive and the processor. The more media files - - -the higher the risk. I would disable network WD cloud services on the new device when you get to the point.

Is there a “chance” of loosing data when doing a firmware update? Yes. How big of a chance is unknown. Could be zero could not zero. Personally on the single bay first gen My Cloud, don’t recall loosing user data when performing firmware updates through the My Cloud Dashboard over the years. YMMV

The My Cloud Dashboard includes the option to backup the My Cloud user data. One should have availed themselves of that option to keep a backup of their My Cloud data in case of My Cloud data loss. That way if one looses data they can attempt recovery from that backup.

As another responder indicated above, when you loose access via WiFi are you loosing access to all other devices on the local network from that computer? Do wired (Ethernet) computers also loose access to the My Cloud at the same time WiFi devices do?

I updated the firmware to 5.26.119 and the same problem still exists: after get connected for a few minutes, the WD cloud stops working automatically. beside update firmware, is there anything else i can do? Thanks,

Yes, look at your local network setup to see if anything is causing a problem.
Are any other devices on the local network, or the internet, inaccessible when the My Cloud becomes inaccessible?
Do wired computers loose access to the My Cloud at the same time that WiFi computers do?
Does the My Cloud have a static or reserved IP address? If not, consider reserving an IP address for the My Cloud in the network router/gateway administration page.
Directly connect the My Cloud to a computer using Ethernet networking port and see if the issue persists.
Replace the network cable between the My Cloud and the network router/gateway.