User access....does using the code restrict access to a specific device?

I’d like to give access to a few users.  With that access, I’d like to limit it to their computer or device.

Does using the code restrict access to the device in use when activating it?

Is there a way to limit access in this way, a specific computer?  I don’t want a username/password passed around and used by others.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Matt1106 wrote:

I’d like to give access to a few users.  With that access, I’d like to limit it to their computer or device.

Does using the code restrict access to the device in use when activating it?

Is there a way to limit access in this way, a specific computer?  I don’t want a username/password passed around and used by others.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Yes, in a way.   Once the code is used, it cannot be reused.

Does that mean it can be used for one session only?

I went back and read the section in the manual again (page 89).  It’s Section 9, Enabling Cloud Access.  It says an email will be sent with login info and access instructions.  Then it describes generating an activation  code for mobile devices.  It says the code can be used once, and it is valid for 48 hours.

Please let me know if I am interpreting this wrong.

1. Cloud user access and codes for mobile devices are two separate things.

2. The first part, the emailed login info: there is no timeframe mentioned in activating the user account, so it’s just login info.

3. About the code: I understand this to say a user must activate their account with the code within 48 hours or the code expires.  If activated, then the mobile device has access.

4. As to the “used once” verbiage, if the code is used to activate the account, it cannot be used again to activate another mobile device.  One code cannot be used to activate two devices.  A separate code must be genetated for each device.

5.  Once the account is setup, a user can access the unit from any computer or mobile device…the mobile device that activated the code or if a user logs in from a mobile device through a browser as if on a computer.

Is it possible to restrict user access by MAC address, IP address, or something like that?

1. Correct. If you provide an email address for a user, they can use it on any device and multiple devices at any time until you delete that user account.
  2. Correct.
  3. Correct.
  4. Correct.
  5. Correct on the first half, not sure what you’re asking in the second half.
  6. No, you cannot restrict by IP or MAC.

TonyPh12345

Thanks for your help and all the answers.  I like knowing a little about it before dropping about a grand for this thing.

To explain this one:

1.  Once the account is setup, a user can access the unit from any computer or mobile device…the mobile device that activated the code or if a user logs in from a mobile device through a browser as if on a computer.

What I’m asking is this example…

User 2 is sent an email with login info.  User 2 can then remotely access the unit with a computer.  Can User 2 access the unit with a mobile device by using a browser rather than an app?  Or is the code required for mobile devices?    ex- I can access gmail on my phone through the browser instead of the app.  But, I can’t wireless print without the Brother app.

AND this one:

If a code is issued to User 3 for a specific mobile device, is User3’s access dependent on the device?  Or can User 3 login by browser from a computer?

This is the current situation.  I want to give parents access to the unit for photos.  I don’t want their access used by anyone else.  Touchy situation, but that’s extended family drama.

The my Cloud app also allows connection using the email/password credentials. So a code isn’t necessary.

If you give a user a code, they can use that code using any of the apps. But they cannot reuse that code on a second device, and cannot use a code (at all) on the web app.

Sweet.  That’s the rout I’ll have to use…issues a code rather than a login.  That will me permit me to specifically allow a intended user, even if it may have to be done on a regular basis.  I’d much rather be able to specify MAC or IP addresses, but maybe that will come later…or get a router that has that feature.

Thanks for all your help in understanding the capabilities of this unit.  You’ve been very helpful and patient.

Matt1106