Updating older posts

Hi Mods,

I noticed after the forum revamp only recent ones are editable. How do we edit older posts?

Nazar78,

Can you please share the link to the thread so I can send that to Bill to see if that can be updated?

1 Like

Hey ERmorel,

Today I saw the ā€œpencilā€ icon appearing on all my older post. Looks good :sunny:

1 Like

Hi Mods, @ERmorel

Seems itā€™s happening again? The ā€œpencilā€ icon is no longer available for older post. I was trying to update my older topic for new CrashPlan v4.4.1, then I noticed all my older posts started by me are no longer editable :frowning:

Yes, me too.

And, even if I can edit them (if Iā€™ve edited them before: look for the pencil at the top of the post), I still canā€™t specify any formatting; font, etc. other than by using the asterisk ā€˜strength tagsā€™.

[edit: ah; this isnā€™t an edit dialogue; it just shows what edits were made]

Itā€™s a bit frustrating when youā€™re trying to edit an FAQ to update it with stuff youā€™ve learnt, and correct misconceptions youā€™ve previously posted. You know, trying to do our unpaid Support jobs to help WDā€™s Customers get their WD Products workingā€¦

1 Like

Yes I agree with @cpt_paranoia. Itā€™s harder to maintain post or even to format a new one. As much as I like html5, somehow I still prefer the good old interface.

The edit ā€œpencilā€ is supposed to be located at the end of the post titled ā€œedit this postā€, but itā€™s missing for older posts. Please enable it back especially for OP. A solution to open another similar post is unacceptable as information will get scattered all over.

Thereā€™s one more thing I noticed, regarding the email you got from the forum, itā€™s saying that you could reply via email:

To respond, >>>reply to this email<<< or visit https://community.wd.com/t/updating-older-posts/134783/5 in your browser.

Looks cool, I can easily reply on-the-go. Then I tried the other time and the email got rejected due to unknown recipient. Duh! Didnā€™t even bother to report it lol.

@Nazar78 - I checked the reply-by-email functionality last week and it was working OKā€¦

@Bill_S - could you test on your side to see if something broke?

I just tested:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
  A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error.

replies+a3f7c66f37ca730be83194aaaf6d69c4@community.wd.com Domain Not Resolved

Weā€™re looking into this.

Hi guys. Discourse just made a change to some settings that they think might be causing this behavior. Could someone (@Bill_S ?) test again and let me know if the issue persists? If it does than they need to do some more investigating.

Email reply test.

Best Regards,
Ć‘Ć”Å¾Ć Å•

Arh itā€™s working now. Thanks @Great_Scottt! But we still canā€™t edit some of our older OP.

I have a suspicion thereā€™s a ā€˜lock post after x daysā€™ setting somewhereā€¦

Yes, they are locked. However, if you need to resurrect one, just notify the moderators.

Sure there is one but unfortunately not flexible.

@Bill_S Iā€™m very sure thereā€™s something could be done i.e. flag as locked only if itā€™s not ā€œOriginal First Postā€ or assign special badge to contributors so their ā€œOriginal First Postā€ wonā€™t get auto locked after x days? These could be easily implemented.

Come on, is that the best you guys can do to relieve the hassle of us contributors?

The post should show a lock in front of the subject line if it is locked. And you need to understand that a lot of those posts were already locked pre-migration to Discourse. It is best practices to lock a thread once it has been sitting idle for a period of time. I tend to wait for six months.

That is not going to change. If you want an old thread reopened, Iā€™m willing to do that if the thread is still relevant. But I am not going to go and reopen everything just to please you. An old thread stays blocked unless called on and is relevant to the current discussion.

Besides, whatā€™s wrong with starting a new thread to reopen the discussion?

By the way, I never meant to block the guides that were created by you users. So, whatever was stickied, I sticky again and unblock.

So what is the actual period? Definitely not six months as I had my recent OP edited Oct 22 but now itā€™s already locked.

No one said about reopening everything? Iā€™m just giving you possible solutions/suggestions. And no you donā€™t have to please me. Iā€™m just a regular WD customer whoā€™s satisfied with their few products I owned and whoā€™s on top of that is doing community work to please the rest of the WDā€™s customers for a particular product of interest.

This has got nothing to do with reopening of discussion. Itā€™s about consolidation. Say I open a build thread version 1.01, by the time it reaches version 2.00 can you imagine 99 unproductive scattered threads? Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m aware of the load it puts on the DB/email server if a large thread gets reopened. Fine lock the thread but donā€™t lock the first post for updating of information and consolidating purposes.

I understand, as said Iā€™m giving possible solutions/suggestions as a form of feedback and Iā€™m not going to argue on how you manage your forum. I guess I have to look for other ways to make things work while I still have interest in this particular product. Thanks for your time.

Actually, if it was one of your guides/how-toā€™s I didnā€™t lock it. Furthermore, i havenā€™t set anything to lock automatically after any period of time - not yet anyway. If your thread was pre-Discourse, then it may have happened when all the posts were migrated over. If it was after the migration, then I have no idea how it got locked. It must have been a ghost in the machine.

@Nazar78, look, I can see how I came off harsh with you, so I apologize. I really do appreciate it when you guys jump in and help out. And Iā€™m not looking to make things harder on you. If you see other topics that should be opened up and even stickied, just let me know. Iā€™ll work with you, guys.

@Bill_S

No worries no harm done. Think we all need time to adapt to this new design. As much as possible Iā€™m trying to keep all the apps/guides/infos within the forum not elsewhere. Looks like for now Iā€™ll need to bother your moderators if an OP needs to be updated :stuck_out_tongue: Cheers!