Please bring back the top level (all categories) new post count

Please bring back the unread post count on the top-level (all categories) page, the one you land in when you first log-in. This new update is seriously less usable for a quick log-in and check than the old one was, as you now have to go into each category you’re interested in to check if there’s anything new, rather than just being able to skim-read the top level page and see if anything’s not listing as (0) new posts.

For me this is a major negative, and over time may well mean I don’t have time or inclination to continue to support my fellow users here as it’s a pain to use this forum now. Why did you have to go and “fix” something that wasn’t broken, and so of course screw it up?

1 Like

@DarrenHill - I’m not 100% certain, but I think this is a bug rather than a removed feature. Post counts are included on the Discourse Meta Category Page (this forum is built using Discourse), so we should be able to display them unless @Bill_S disabled them for some reason I can’t recall at 3:45 in the morning.

I hope so, at the moment it’s seriously degraded the usability of the site, at least for me.

That said I didn’t think there was too much wrong with the old one in the first place, although there were a few bits like images which this new one hopefully will improve a bit. I’m very not sure whether the slight improvements are worth all the ■■■■ that’s now been put in though, this whole place looks amateurish now with all the bubble icons etc. It looks like something for group of 5 year olds.

And where have all our old Kudos points gone? Or are we all being reset to noobs?

Kudo’s are now called Like’s. You can Like a post by clicking on the :heart: icon below a post.

I will look into this.

@Bill_S - any progress with this?

Getting used to the new way of doing things, but it’s still nowhere near as user friendly or fluid as the old one was for a quick visit to see what’s what and if there’s anything of interest to look at.

You will find all the likes in the user profile. And they do go back to when they were kudos. Plus if you click on the Likes in the user profile, it will list all the posts liked.

I was meaning more getting the unread post count on the top level (all categories) page back - the original point of this thread.

That I am looking into. I would like that also.