Update on My Cloud OS 5 Feedback

Hello My Cloud users,

We just released firmware 5.07.118 today. Here are some updates on the top issues that we have addressed:

Indexing time & resources : In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we addressed several indexing related memory usage issues.

Direct access Transmission app : In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we added the ability for user to setup a username and password to access the Transmission web client. Once this is setup, the user will be able to access the Transmission web client directly and no longer need to go through the device’s web dashboard.

Web dashboard access restriction : Previously, we have restricted device configuration access from IP addresses that are not within the private IP ranges defined by RFC 1918 of the Internet Engineering Task Force. This is intended to prevent potential security exposure from the use of a public IP address, and the user is only allowed to configure My Cloud OS 5 with the following IP address ranges:

• 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
  • 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
  • 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we’ve modified and relaxed this restriction by allowing access from computers within the same subnet if user is using these IP addresses.

Device wakes up from sleep every hour : In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we have fixed the standby issue which in certain scenarios the device would wake up every hour

High CPU & memory usage after indexing complete : Some users are noticing their device still consumes high CPU & memory usage after indexing has completed. In some cases, this is likely due to the thumbnail generation, and pre-transcoding of video files (PR2100 and PR4100 only). In today’s firmware 5.07.118, we added a status display to show “Generating preview” so user can see when this activity is ongoing.

Apps page does not load : In the last firmware 5.06.115, we’ve added error handling and message in the web dashboard so the page does not get stuck in continuous loading under certain scenarios. If you are still experiencing this issue, please leave us a note. You can also refer to this KBA for more info.

Here are a couple of other top issues that we are still working on:

Accessing MySQL from outside of network : We have noticed some users are asking to remove the restriction of accessing MySQL only from localhost. We are working on an option to allow this. We’ll let you know when it is ready.

Transcoding on PR2100 & PR4100 : We are working on having an option to skip video transcoding in a future release. We’ll let you know when it is ready.

Thanks,

My Cloud Product Team