Unresponsive GUI

I’ve attempted to contact support via email but am getting an error:

An error was encountered during knowledge base search.

Calling isn’t really an option as it is only open when I am out the house and so not able to speak whilst accessing the device. Plus, as you’ll see below, this issue would be much better to email. Oh for an actual email address…

Anyway, can anyone help with this?

My mycloudmirror gen 2’s GUI is completely unresponsive after attempting to run a NAS to USB backup of one of the drives.

After 24 hours my backup hadn’t completed. The backup was to a WD elements external HD, which I believe is USB 3. I attempted to log into the dashboard, but it repeatedly timed out before I was able to navigate to see what backup was doing. In the end I had to do a hard shut down (remove power). Remove my external drive and power up. Since doing that, the device has remained completely unrepsonsive. I attempt to log in, but before anything is responsive in the gui, my session times out. The device is running noisily, sounding more like fan than HD being thrashed, but I could be wrong.
Transmission, which I am able to access, seems to have lost some data.
I’ve connected via SSH and ran top and can see two potential anomalies.
First
3337 1 root S 846m167.9 0 2.6 /usr/local/restsdk/restsdk-server -device-kind alpha

8222 1 root S 823m163.4 0 1.3 /usr/sbin/docker -d -s devicemapper --storage-opt dm.override

two processes using 800m + of VSZ

Any suggestions on what I can do here? I’m trying to do a proper restart on the system, but I just can’t get there via the GUI. I’ve tried a few commands via SSH to no avail

I’m so done with this device right now.

I eventually managed to get back into the GUI. It was painfully painfully slow. It must have taken me about 30 minutes of unresponsive pages and timeouts in an attempt to restart my backup run. I got to the backup page, plugged in my external hard drive and clicked to start the backup. The last attempt only got about half way through.

12 hours later and the device is still completely unresponsive and has sat there making loud fan noises. Seemingly not much in the way of harddrive noises.

I’d have expected this to have finished even if external device was USB2. And the fact that the device is completely unusable during that time for me to even check progress, never mind use the device for what it is intended for- allowing me access to my files.

How on earth do I start to troubleshoot this? I can’t even get hold of support because the email forms aren’t working.

I know this isn’t an expensive device, but this is now getting ridiculous.

Rhintintin, I hope this helps and you have not pitched your device in the trash yet.

After banging my head against the wall like every single other user of the WD My Cloud Mirror on planet earth, I finally STUMBLED upon the fix.

I did a reset of my device. Soft reset did not work (holding reset button 4 seconds). I removed power, depressed reset button, plugged in power, and did a 10 count to avoid the hard-reset, which is said to require 40 seconds. Well, a hard-reset was done, in spite of this.

This, however, is not the fix. This only gave me temporary access to the dashboard so that I could stumble upon the fix!

I went to Apps, noted that DLNA Media Server and iTunes were on. I immediately turned them off and the responsiveness was unreal. It was like waking this thing up from a coma.

Please, try this and reply here with your experiences.

FYI, I had been using a static IP address and the hard reset reverted to a DHCP assigned address. That has not in any way impacted this. The entire reason the drives were being hammered and the dashboard was inaccessible was due to these apps being on.