Unresponsive My Cloud Mirror - How to Stop WD Services

Hi All. I have Qty 12 My Cloud Mirrors around the globe and growing. The Red Cross is using them as an affordable File Sharing solution for our Delegations overseas. However, I am really frustrated and frankly pissed off… As MANY topics in these forums have indicated, the WDMCSERVERD and WDPHOTODBMERGER are two services that bring this box to its knees… I am forever getting complaints form our remote offices that the MCM’s simply disappear from the Network, are non-responsive… Users cannot map a file share, cannot reach the WebUI, sometimes cannot even ping the units. I am constantly asking them to power cycle the unit - which of course - makes things worse… And an hour later it drops off the face of the earth AGAIN!! WD PLEASE ACTION THIS — So Many have asked for a fix. Now I have resorted to going in with SSH - Screw the warranty - I need a working NAS Box… If I stop these services all is OK… However, I am not a Linux guy and cannot seem to set this up to disable these services permanently - ie. crontab -e I cannot add the two lines

/bin/sh /etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/bin/sh /etc/init.d/wdphotodbmerger stop

Please - I need assistance from some linux heavies out there to take me through the steps to fix this issue as WD has basically ignored us all. A simple “On/Off” button WD - PLEASE!!

Spooner

Hi,

See if the following link helps.

Please note that you will be following instructions from other user and it will be at your own risk.

Many Thanks for the suggestion! As we are working in third world countries there are serious power issues in a lot of our sites… I need to edit the startup. But crontab -e won’t allow edits on the MCM. I would like to put those two lines in the startup - so after reboot they do indeed stop. Any ideas?

SOLVED!

After banging my head against the wall like every single other user of the WD My Cloud Mirror on planet earth, I finally STUMBLED upon the fix.

I did a reset of my device. Soft reset did not work (holding reset button 4 seconds). I removed power, depressed reset button, plugged in power, and did a 10 count to avoid the hard-reset, which is said to require 40 seconds. Well, a hard-reset was done, in spite of this.

This, however, is not the fix. This only gave me temporary access to the dashboard so that I could stumble upon the fix!

I went to Apps, noted that DLNA Media Server and iTunes were on. I immediately turned them off and the responsiveness was unreal. It was like waking this thing up from a coma.

Please, try this and reply here with your experiences.

FYI, I had been using a static IP address and the hard reset reverted to a DHCP assigned address. That has not in any way impacted this. The entire reason the drives were being hammered and the dashboard was inaccessible was due to these apps being on.